Obligatory jokes

Super-Grover

Contributor
Veteran XV
There are certain situations in life that have elicited the same joke so many times that EVERYONE, even the unfunniest people, tell it whenever the situation arises.

These jokes are horrible... but so popular that literally everyone tells them... I guess because the jokes give unfunny people a brief crack at being 'funny.'

For instance... you totally clean your plate at a restaurant, and when the waiter arrives and asks you how your meal was, what do you say?

"I totally hated it!" Hahahaha...

Another example... you're sixteen years old and someone learns that you just got your driver's license. What do they say?

"Looks like I'm gonna be staying off the road!" Hahahaha...

How about another? Someone leaves the house to go have lunch with a friend, only to walk back in the door thirty seconds later. What do you say?

"How was lunch!" Hahahaha...

What other examples come to mind?

And what should I call this phenomenon? I was thinking 'obligatory jokes.' But it's kind of a mouthful.

SG

I enjoy "That's what she said".

It works for nearly everything. People say it all the time and it always makes me crack a smile at the very least.

I wouldn't say these are jokes, and the reason the unfunniest people tell them is because of how obscenely unfunny these one-liners are to begin with.

Cliffs: Kill yourself.

We do this all the time at the bar: you're at the bar and you hear a huge "CRASHHH" like somebody just dropped a glass that exploded when it hit the floor, yell out "PUT THAT ANYWHERE"

Also works in restaurants when somebody drops a stack of plates or something like that.

We do this all the time at the bar: you're at the bar and you hear a huge "CRASHHH" like somebody just dropped a glass that exploded when it hit the floor, yell out "PUT THAT ANYWHERE"

Also works in restaurants when somebody drops a stack of plates or something like that.

wat

When you are talking to someone and a third person walks up, you say loudly enough so the third person can hear, "Stop, stop here he/she comes." To act like you were just talking badly about them.

When you are getting ready to give a girl backdoor pleasure and she leans over and spreads her cheeks and says "Here's lookin' at you". That gets so old.

This one shows my age, but whenever someone used to give a record album as a gift, and the unique/size shape under the wrapping made it obvious that it was an album, the recipient always said:

"I wonder what this is!"

I enjoy "That's what she said".

It works for nearly everything. People say it all the time and it always makes me crack a smile at the very least.

I've been hearing this for years. It's not fucking funny unless it's a really good one. People abuse it and say it for nearly everything now... They need to a) only use it if it's a good one b) find some new material c) shut the fuck up already.

Back