nVidia GeForce 1080

im guessing the 1070 will only be like 5% slower despite half the price but everyone will drool over the 1080 anyway lol

I have been so out of the video card stuff. I have a 550 TI ..

So whats the general consensus for a video card to get next? "GTX 1070 will be $370, launches in june." - that one?

If u need one now get a 970, if you can wait a few whatevers then the 1070 would be a sweet upgrade

I got a 970 a year ago and have barely made it cry yet, I imagine a 1070 would be suitable for VR jerkoff stuff and pretty much all games

2560x1440 ought to be the lowest by today's standards. My monitor is an ROG Swift and my 970 doesn't max out many games at 144fps. Overwatch runs between 80-120. A game like the witcher 3 was probably around 45FPS on max detail (not including hair physics).

Keep in mind GSYNC will pair the refresh rate of the monitor with the FPS of the video card.

I think there's two different conversations going on in this thread between those who have large monitors like 4K and/or have GSYNC monitors and those who don't. 970/980 cards are great, but they're not future-proof with newer generations of monitors.

I'm staying 1080p for a bit. Won't be able to do current/next gen games staying at 100+ fps at 1440p+ (on a single card). I understand if people don't care about high framerates and are okay with 60fps - community seems to be split on it. 60fps way too gross for me though since I'm used to 120hz+, can never go back now. Probably gonna pick up that new Acer 1080p/144hz/gsync monitor along with a 1070. Shame no one is making 1080p+IPS+144hz+gsync monitors though.

Running a similar 1440/gsync monitor, and a 980Ti (and Vive headset).. I'm happy enough with this setup and don't see myself picking up a 1k series at the moment.... Though the 670m in my laptop is starting to struggle, might be time to start looking about once the mobile versions start getting out there. With the significant power drops against even the 9 series (which was itself much more efficient the previous generation), I think there should hopefully be some nice compact game capable labtops about.

run gta 5 in 4k and tell me you don't see a difference :ftard:

yeh bro let me jump on that bandwagon real quick to the tech dies and its supported and im sitting there with an expensive TV =/.. I hear what your saying but these damn monitors keep fucking coming out one after anothe. its like when they broke 1k mhz on the cpu every week was another 100 mhz ontop of it for $700 for like 2-3 years. Ill wait till it slows down then make the jump. Then ill notice the diff.

I'm staying 1080p for a bit. Won't be able to do current/next gen games staying at 100+ fps at 1440p+ (on a single card). I understand if people don't care about high framerates and are okay with 60fps - community seems to be split on it. 60fps way too gross for me though since I'm used to 120hz+, can never go back now. Probably gonna pick up that new Acer 1080p/144hz/gsync monitor along with a 1070. Shame no one is making 1200p+IPS+144hz+gsync+16:10 monitors though.

Fixed that for you. 16:10/8:5 is the only intelligent computer monitor size. Limiting our eyes' scanning ability to just left and right is idiotic at best.

Stop moaning, Val. 16:9 is the dominant format. Yes, 16:10 gives better area, but if it's that big a deal for you, you should be demanding 4:3 or even a square aspect, since that gives the most area for any given diagonal.

You're offering personal preference like it's some statement of fact.

As to 1080p/144Hz/IPS/Gsync... I'm running an XB270HU, which is all of those things except that it's 1440, not 1080. I can understand you want more frames and less pixels. I'm driving mine with a 980Ti which copes pretty well.. if this new gen can get +30% performance.. when you combine that with the reduced need for antialiasing and other 'post effects' from the higher resolution... it's certainly getting close.

BEtc7xJ.png

Stop moaning, Val. 16:9 is the dominant format. Yes, 16:10 gives better area, but if it's that big a deal for you, you should be demanding 4:3 or even a square aspect, since that gives the most area for any given diagonal.
4:3 is shit as well.

And yes, 16:9 is the dominant ratio, but that doesn't make it the best.

You're offering personal preference like it's some statement of fact.
It is a fact. it more closely matches our actual vision, and more importantly, we need more vertical scrolling space without making things tiny.

AMDs answer, as always, will be more transisters of inferior tech, with a small generator to power them and crygenic facility to cool it, along with software that sorta mostly works at least half the time.

I'm not an Nvidia fanboy or anything, and I would dearly love for AMD to get back up again, but they haven't been competitive (even in the budget market) for a lot of years now..

Don't forget the driver will not even work out of the box, and you'll have to reflow it in the oven in a 3 months.

4:3 is shit as well.

And yes, 16:9 is the dominant ratio, but that doesn't make it the best.

It is a fact. it more closely matches our actual vision, and more importantly, we need more vertical scrolling space without making things tiny.

Fact according to who? If you want more vertical scrolling space, go to 4:3 (or *gasp* get a higher resolution 16:9 display!)

Aspect ratio is a matter of personal preference. Different aspects suit different contexts and different contents. Trying to say 16:10 is "the best" is just idiotic. It's not. No aspect is "the best". 16:9 is the most common, the cheapest, and what the vast majority of content is designed for these days. Moan all you want, but be aware that that's really all you're doing.

I ordered the New Razer Blade (Ships mid May). Thinking about the Core. And sticking a 1080 in that.

Back