NINTENDO 3DS

=BL=VorteX

Veteran XV
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

March 23, 2010

To Whom It May Concern:
Re: Launch of New Portable Game Machine

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch "Nintendo 3DS"(temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.

"Nintendo 3DS"(temp) is going to be the new portable game machine to succeed "Nintendo DS series", whose cumulative consolidated sales from Nintendo amounted to 125million units as of the end of December 2009, and will include backward compatibility so that the software for Nintendo DS series, including the ones for Nintendo DSi, can also be enjoyed.

We are planning to announce additional details at E3 show, which is scheduled to be held from June 15, 2010 at Los Angeles in the U.S.

Woo 3d without glasses is here.

Update from Engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/nintendo-3ds-to-come-with-3d-control-stick-vibration-and-sha/

You had the hard news for breakfast, so how's about some less official, but still pretty robust, fodder for brunch? Asahi in Japan offers the first word on how the 3DS achieves its 3D-ness by suggesting that the new portable game machine with feature a parallax barrier LCD from Sharp. The tech has apparently already been deployed in a few cellphones over there and is described as "unsuitable" for large-screen TVs. This is corroborated by Nikkei, which suggests that the screens on the new device will be smaller than 4 inches diagonally, placing it closer to the DSi than the 4.2-inch DSi XL / LL. Other news from the latter source include so-called 3D control stick(s), though it's not entirely clear whether this'll be anything massively new or just a pair of analog nubs for us to push around. Either way, Nintendo is said to have secured patents for the new control methodology in Japan late last year. The Nikkei article also mentions improvements in WiFi transfers and battery life, as well as a new vibration function. Now that we've got all that out of the way, can someone please tell us if this thing has Tegra inside or not?

Last edited:
not sure how they're gonna do it without glasses... I don't even know how technology like that could work. I don't think you can just look at a screen and see "3d"

not sure how they're gonna do it without glasses... I don't even know how technology like that could work. I don't think you can just look at a screen and see "3d"

actually you can...phillips (i think) has this tech in tvs already for expos but not for consumers

I'm curious myself, how do you add depth into a screen

well the tech behind the glasses is that you're splitting up each view to each eye (thereby creating depth) through either color filtering (old school blue and red) or polarization obviously. you can't filter each eye by just having one camera angle on the screen

3D without the glasses is what needs to come out to make 3D take off... Therefore, I am very interested in seeing how this all functions.

So yea what I'm reading now is that its like a multi-layered LCD type approach where you have to have your head in a certain position relative to the tv in order for it to see the 3D. TVs will probably be advertised now with "viewing angles" or how many spots you can have your head in to see the 3d. Also they have "eye tracking" which moves the angle of the panels (?) to match the angle of your eyes.

A side effect they say is headaches and motion sickness though. But at least that gives the tech somewhere to go. Interesting stuff though

Just updated. Apparently this is not suitable for large screen TVs. BOOOO.

Yea, also that resolution is an important factor in maintaining the depth perception. You need a large data rate and resolution (2160p says wikipedia) and I imagine with a larger screen area you lose at the resolution:area ratio

I've seen 3d television in action, and the best way to describe it is to compare it to That old school arcade game Golly Ghost! It used a physical model with projections on top of it to give the impression that you were playing a 3d game, without the glasses. 3d television looks sort of like that game. Very surreal.

For tv shows and film to utilize this, they would need to film the material using dozens of cameras. But with games, you can create the multiple layers and display them using this new technology.

Back