Laptop Brands

Zelgaddiss

Veteran X
Looking to get a laptop with my tax return, what things do you guys use, preferably something that can run some of the newish games, not top of the line just enough.

i have a brand new ibm lenovo x61 tablet im looking to sell

still unopened in hte box. i bought two one for mygf one for my sister but she doesn't want the tablet. :(

still comes with the warranty and shit

let me know :p

/end thread hijack

Get a lenovo. Great build quality, but they're a bit pricier.

He said newer games. Lenovo doesn't have anything out there at the moment aside from their W series with FireGL, and that's still a workstation GPU with a performance somewhere between a 9500M GS and a 9600M GS, so not exactly the best performer. (The Mobility 3650 is the same thing deal.)

Surprisingly, that Gateway FX seems pretty nice for the performance/price ratio, but if you want something with better build quality, you are going to want to get a Clevo chassis notebook from a place like Sager. They are usually at least on par with Lenovo in that respect, but with much better hardware.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=264311
Here's a huge FAQ for Clevo-based notebooks with a list of models, retailers, and price differences.

Last edited:
I don't usually advocate "hold off", but...

Hold off for just a little bit... ATI/AMD have recently announced that they're doing the 4000 series GPUs in mobile form now, so you'll soon (if they're not already out, I haven't really been keeping track) be able to pick up a laptop with a 4870/4850/etc in it, which is the best damn thing around at the moment.

I think a few vendors (ASUS/Dell come to mind) have already announced plans to make use of them in coming models.

this thread is exactly what i've been scanning for myself on ebay and stores nearby. Keep the suggestions coming, the gateway fx looks like something i've been looking for.

Previously, ive been looking at the HP dv7t's or the HP HDX 16. HP has seemed to make good laptops in my eyes, but my roommates had a gateway FX for a bit now and seems to be running strong still.

HOLY SHITFUCK

do NOT get a HP. EVER.

I bought my HP and my 360 about the same time. My 360 has broken twice. My HP laptop (dv5t) has broken 4 times (motherboard, monitor, HD, motherboard again). After the first one broke the second time they sent me a new one which broke a week and half later. Average turnaround time on repairs? 1.5 MONTHS. per repair.

I take immaculate care of it. It doesn't leave me desk. I don't eat around it. All it does is break.

cliffs: don't get a HP. Do it for me.

Back