[IT] Certification Thread

I am busting my butt, come march i will be out of the helpdesk, i am staying in touch with the management for other departments to get promoted. Only position available here was for helpdesk. Gotta start somewhere. Pay is good for helpdesk too so im not complaining too much.

Have been preparing for the 290, i know it wont be as easy as the 270 and a+. i really only studied for a week for both the a+ and the 270.

Im still ahead, there are people here with their mcse/mcsa and have been here for 3 years. That is not my goal, come April if i haven't gotten promoted i will definately be looking for other options. I keep my resume updated and get at least 10 calls a week from contracting agencies. I just dont want temp work even though I would probably be making a lot more money.

mcsa and mcse are almost useless at this point. not that there's anything wrong with the knowledge or the cert, but there are so many mcsa/e people out there right now that the market is swamped. cisco is where its at..for now.

mcsa and mcse are almost useless at this point. not that there's anything wrong with the knowledge or the cert, but there are so many mcsa/e people out there right now that the market is swamped. cisco is where its at..for now.

ill go for that eventually, my shortterm goal is to do server administration not networking.

I'm a MCTS - Web, have passed 70-536 and 70-528. Currently studying for 70-547 to become a MCPD, but haven't had much time to really devote to it yet. Typically I study hard for about 2 weeks before taking the cert.

We get 40 hours of vacation for passing where I work, so there's a nice benefit to passing, plus it looks great on a resume backed up with good experience.

I'm a MCTS - Web, have passed 70-536 and 70-528. Currently studying for 70-547 to become a MCPD, but haven't had much time to really devote to it yet. Typically I study hard for about 2 weeks before taking the cert.

We get 40 hours of vacation for passing where I work, so there's a nice benefit to passing, plus it looks great on a resume backed up with good experience.

Thats cool, i just get paid reimbursement for tests, if passing.

1/2 way through getting my CPA
then maybe ill get some of those that Xion has or not who knows. I didnt know cisa and cissp took 5 years work experience

How are you already in IT Advisory, or is that your degree? I am confused.

ITIL foundations
ITIL Practitioner Release and Control
A+
Bachelors' of Science in IT

working on

Masters of Business Administration in MIS
Six Sigma Green Belt
ITIL v3

Currently im halfway through my associates in network admin. in 2010 im going to a well known university to do my bach in network admin/network design

Hoping to get my CCNA and MCSE within the next year, did you guys take the classes that cost a shitload of money? Or are you guys doing independent study, then taking the test?

Here's my plan (and a little background first) - Please let me know what you think:

I work for the USAF as an IT administrator. My first job with the AF was help desk for about 9 months. At the time I had only the college that everyone gets for going through technical training (so nothing in reality), and no certifications. After showing my management that I’m not mentally retarded I got moved to the “back shop” where people actually do IT work. I quickly (and I mean within 1 month) proved that I was head and shoulders above almost every single person in the ~40 person shop. I worked primarily with AD administration and Exchange (8,600 user domain), however my job changed significantly once people realized I knew how to write scripts. In a network administration section, automation is key.

The point is I learned my way around Server2k3, Exch2k3, and just about everything I could get my hands on for “IT admin” shit. I left Korea after 2 months of this and moved to a different unit out of Germany. Here, I am building entire deployable networks from the ground up, and I’m in charge of everything from the Cisco routers to the end users laptops, to include 2k3 servers, DNS, Exch, DHCP, all that good stuff.

I’ve only been Active Duty for 2 years, and 3 weeks, but in that time I’ve earned 78 college credits (from UMUC - decent school, regionally accredited), A+, Network+, and Security+. I just passed 270 myself and I’m taking 290 and 291 within the next 7-10 days. I am in Lithuania right now and the tests are only $50 here so I’m jumping on the opportunity. I plan to leave here with my MCSE.

By May 2009 I want to be finished with my BS Computer Studies (mainly Java and VB, maybe some Cold Fusion or PHP thrown in there), have my MCSA, MCSE, and CCNA. By May 2009 I’ll have 1.5 years left in the AF, in which I will start narrowing in on what I want to specialize in, but I will definitely leave the AF with at least 1 Professional level Cisco, either CCSP or CCNP, not sure where exactly I want to go. In addition, if anyone can recommend a good Masters for Computer Science that offers distance education, please let me know.

By May 2010 I will only have 6 months left, and at that time I will start looking for outside employment, taking interviews and the such. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know, I’m all ears.

Currently im halfway through my associates in network admin. in 2010 im going to a well known university to do my bach in network admin/network design

Hoping to get my CCNA and MCSE within the next year, did you guys take the classes that cost a shitload of money? Or are you guys doing independent study, then taking the test?

i got a job, as a network engineer then i drank alot.

w0rd me and another sexy awesome TW member named xL? also known as glorious rusL are thinking about doing that in the SAT area, riding our TS gravy train and starting a side business doing IT consulting... GMTA my man

B.S. in Economics (Quantative)
B.A. in Psych (lulz)
M.S.J. (Master of Science in Jurisprudence) degree in Health, Science & Technology Law.

Considering getting a CCNA, because I want to get the Cisco security cert. But might get out of the industry anyway.

YEAH NIG YOU GET THAT CCNA, then realize that alot of small networks are pathetic because the owner thinks they can make it work by spending 100$ on a WRT54G and dreams. :( im so happy i got into enterprise networking.

Back