[IT] Certification Thread

.dave.

Veteran X
So ive been going through my paces, in the last month ive gotten a+ and mcp certified.

If anyone else is going after their a+, net+,mcp, mcsa or mcse let me know. I have some good resources for you.

A+ 601 (840/900) A+ 602 (875/900), MCP(70-270) (889/1000).

Wewtz.

Going after my 70-290 now.

Also post your current certifications and how long it took you to achieve it.

I know im going after my MCSE, I work in the healthcare industry but i almost have no clue where i want to go with the organization, we have so many damn choices.

CPA - 2 yrs work experience + 4 months exam prep
CISA - 5 yrs work experience + 1 week exam prep
CISSP - 5 years work experience + 2 months exam prep

Got A+, Network+, MCSA on 2000
Certs really do work. You can't replace a degree (I am still in school) but I am 21 years old making 47k a year.

I've been

Network engineer - site infrastructure - fiber/microwave backbone design - a bit of Cisco and its archaic OS...
Windows NT/2000/2003 Server admin - AD
Exchange 5.5/2003
Citrix Server Admin
Novell Admin (Groupwise, etc)
Desktop break/fix
Tech Writer

...and not a single cert...

...though I am signing up for classes at our local junior college for the fall in the IT/Biz Admin area.

Last edited:
1/2 way through getting my CPA
then maybe ill get some of those that Xion has or not who knows. I didnt know cisa and cissp took 5 years work experience

The on the job experience counts more. The certs are just a bunch of acronyms that show your brain knows how to work.

Is this your monthly certification thread Dave?

290 and 291 are a lot harder than 270. I suggest you prepare.

edit:

I agree with on-the-job experience too. Certifications and education are just credentials, they're only good if someone can't qualify you during an interview. Get off that shit help desk position and go do some real IT/Net Admin/Net Engineer type shit. You have a bachelors degree, you should not be sitting on help desk.

Fuck I work with 19y/o without any education or certifications and they didn't get put on help desk.

Last edited:
Since I have become half unemployed, I have been looking at getting CCNA and then CCVP....Unemployment will pay 10k over 2 years for schooling. The CCNA course actually gives you comp tia and MCSE certs as well. I have been a network admin for 10 years though, the comp tia and MCSE are just fluff...I just want the cisco certs.

MCSE (2003), A+, and Net+

Thinking about scheduling the CISSP test soon, but I don't want to have to worry about renewing certs every year (which is also why I haven't bothered with Cisco yet, but its coming down the line)

CCNA (expired now)
JNCIA-FWV (expires in july)
B.S (in one more semester)

soon as i graduated im going to renew CCNA and start my CCIP.

Is this your monthly certification thread Dave?

290 and 291 are a lot harder than 270. I suggest you prepare.

edit:

I agree with on-the-job experience too. Certifications and education are just credentials, they're only good if someone can't qualify you during an interview. Get off that shit help desk position and go do some real IT/Net Admin/Net Engineer type shit. You have a bachelors degree, you should not be sitting on help desk.

Fuck I work with 19y/o without any education or certifications and they didn't get put on help desk.

I am busting my butt, come march i will be out of the helpdesk, i am staying in touch with the management for other departments to get promoted. Only position available here was for helpdesk. Gotta start somewhere. Pay is good for helpdesk too so im not complaining too much.

Have been preparing for the 290, i know it wont be as easy as the 270 and a+. i really only studied for a week for both the a+ and the 270.

Im still ahead, there are people here with their mcse/mcsa and have been here for 3 years. That is not my goal, come April if i haven't gotten promoted i will definately be looking for other options. I keep my resume updated and get at least 10 calls a week from contracting agencies. I just dont want temp work even though I would probably be making a lot more money.

Back