IN Demand offers to match DirecTV's MLB offer

Kerry and Specter are getting in on the fun as well, they're even checking out the NFL deal. I doubt that DirecTV is happy.

ESPN.com - MLB - With fans in mind, senators to study DirecTV deal

WASHINGTON -- Two senators plan to examine baseball's $700 million, seven-year deal with DirecTV to determine its impact on fans.

Under the agreement announced Thursday, the deal contains a provision that allows its "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games to remain on cable television if the other incumbent providers -- InDemand and EchoStar Communications Corp.'s Dish Network -- agree to match the terms.

But Robert Jacobson, president of iN Demand Networks LLC, said those terms for the "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games were impossible for his company to agree to and called it a "de facto exclusive deal."

"I will review this deal to ensure it benefits consumers," said Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. "I'm encouraged that Major League Baseball may be willing to provide broader access to their games than what was initially proposed. I will be watching closely to ensure the league works in good faith so that America's pastime is available to all fans. My concern all along has been that fans continue to have the ability to enjoy baseball on television."

The agreement also drew the attention of Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"I will be analyzing the commitment to see ... if the conditions for other carriers are satisfactory," Specter said. "This arrangement should motivate the NFL to reconsider broader coverage on its Sunday ticket and Thursday/Saturday programming to make such games available to other carriers beyond DirecTV.

"It may be necessary for the Senate Judiciary Committee to have further hearings on the antitrust implications of the NFL and MLB TV programming and whether it is in the public interest to allow the antitrust exemptions of the NFL and MLB to continue."

I guess the meeting is tomorrow. Congress won't like hearing that IN Demand matched the deal and MLB turned them down. This may open up NFL Sunday Ticket to be available to cable if they match that too.

Seeing this next to a UCLA basketball sig was just too funny. Thanks for making my day Mr. Unintentional Comedy Man.

11 national championships, in the final game last year and so far into the sweet 16 this year

what are you laughing at?

glad our senators are worried about cable deals for sporting events when we're in the middle of a war

11 national championships, in the final game last year and so far into the sweet 16 this year

what are you laughing at?

Of course I'll have to spell out the obvious for a UCLA fan:

Horrid sport. Wasted broadcasting bandwidth. Highest of high comedy coming from somebody who watches basketball.

That's a terribly flimsy defense that would come only from somebody who's played no baseball beyond little league. Even fatman Wells works out pretty hard.

just looked it up on directv's site.....wow, only $40 for the entire season (compared to $250 for football). might get it just so i can keep track of some of the guys on my fantasy team ;).

Wonder how much cable would offer thiers up. need 2.5 million people to subscribe to it to break even on the package...
not really because you aren't considering revenue from ads. i'm sure the key audience is the major demographic (ie 18-40 males or whatever it is nowadays) and that probably means good money from commercials.

More info as to why MLB rejected the offer:

iN Demand's strategy of negotiation is a failed one," MLB Exec VP/Business Tim Brosnan said. "Our offer to them to match DirecTV remains open, but time is running short." Late Tuesday, iN Demand faxed Brosnan an offer that it said would match DirecTV's terms, guaranteeing the same rates and household distribution as the satellite operator over the next seven years. Brosnan bashed the offer, saying that it does not. "Time and again, we have given iN Demand an opportunity to respond to legitimate offers," he said. "And time and again, they have responded by making misleading statements.

The Biz of Baseball - Brosnan Responds to iN Demand Counter-Offer

It's ok poor baby. Different opinions. Life is like that. Do you need your mommy?

Terribly sorry I thought you might actually have some sort of logical justification you could share with us.

I didn't realize you reason things out like a girl... brainlessly.

Terribly sorry I thought you might actually have some sort of logical justification you could share with us.

I didn't realize you reason things out like a girl... brainlessly.

Yes I will share "logical justification" with someone who replied calling me a faggot without asking for "logical justification" and then gets all bitchy about it when they are made fun of.

I guess you really did need your mommy.

Back