I'm thinking of buying a 360...

How does that work exactly? Do you need the receipt or anything?

nope, you just need an xbox 360 that shows the 3 red light error and the microsoft seal still intact
you go to service.xbox.com, register your xbox, request a repair and they'll send you the 'casket' you send your xbox back to them in, and you wait

ALL xbox's are covered because they instituted a 3 year warranty (from manufacturers date) for this problem alone so you can't buy an xbox that will be too old to be covered
i think on the service site there may be a different section for repair requests concerning the 3RL error but i'm sure once they boot it up and find out they'll realize which warranty it falls under
they send you back a brand new one with the new heatsink and the new CPU, so i don't know of a better deal or why anyone would be so dumb as to buy a prettyshitty3 (LOL GET IT?)

when you get an xbox, don't keep it upright. it's one of the main reasons xbox 360's fail. the heatsink will pretty much heat up and slowly slide off

edit: the reason you don't need a receipt is because you can pull the ol' walmart special and say it is a 'gift'. you also get ALL the money back (if any) if there are any previous repairs done to the xbox you bought

Last edited:
nope, you just need an xbox 360 that shows the 3 red light error and the microsoft seal still intact
you go to service.xbox.com, register your xbox, request a repair and they'll send you the 'casket' you send your xbox back to them in, and you wait

ALL xbox's are covered because they instituted a 3 year warranty (from manufacturers date) for this problem alone so you can't buy an xbox that will be too old to be covered
i think on the service site there may be a different section for repair requests concerning the 3RL error but i'm sure once they boot it up and find out they'll realize which warranty it falls under
they send you back a brand new one with the new heatsink and the new CPU, so i don't know of a better deal or why anyone would be so dumb as to buy a prettyshitty3 (LOL GET IT?)

when you get an xbox, don't keep it upright. it's one of the main reasons xbox 360's fail. the heatsink will pretty much heat up and slowly slide off

All of this can be done in a short 2 month period.

If you're lucky.

yeah maybe if you're not an idiot and send it back after/not close to the halo 3 launch. my buddy got his back within a 2 week period, i think it was less than a week and a half actually. mine was about the same

and the best part was...he didn't have to buy a shitty ps3 and got raped by the price, the lack of games, the same garbage controller and supporting sony who can go fuck themselves!
thanks, though naysayer

Last edited:
yeah maybe if you're not an idiot and send it back before the halo 3 launch. my buddy got his back within a 2 week period, i think it was less than a week and a half actually. mine was about the same

and the best part was...he didn't have to buy a shitty ps3 and got raped by the price, the lack of games, the same garbage controller and supporting sony who can go fuck themselves!
thanks, though naysayer

So he bought an xbox off ebay, waited for it to come, then shipped it to Microsoft and got it back in less than two weeks?

You sir are high.

NeoGAF is an ineternet abortion in every sense of the word.

Except the liveries thread, that was swift.

Why not to buy a 360?* IMHO, the only thing I hate is that it is loud as hell. Other than that I've purchased more games for the 360 than I have for any other I console I own/have owned. 3 more coming out very soon I'll be buying even though I don't have the time for them atm.

*oh and Microsoft dicking around with their 'proprietary wireless' is really screwing us over with too few choices in wireless wheels and peripherals for GH/Rock Band.

So he bought an xbox off ebay, waited for it to come, then shipped it to Microsoft and got it back in less than two weeks?

You sir are high.

i don't remember saying my buddy did the same thing, although ONE of my friends did, the one i was referencing did not
sure, it probably took maybe 2.5 weeks to purchase one from ebay and get it back from microsoft (during the time they weren't swamped)

either way, if you care that much about a couple of weeks then you can purchase a new one in the stores for less than a ps3, still
so no matter which way you split it, you lose if you buy a ps3
i'm just trying to save him a couple hundred bucks if that's important or he's not a 12 year old who can't wait a couple of weeks
:shrug:

8801-2000-Ferrari-360.jpg

buy it immediately

i don't remember saying my buddy did the same thing, although ONE of my friends did, the one i was referencing did not
sure, it probably took maybe 2.5 weeks to purchase one from ebay and get it back from microsoft (during the time they weren't swamped)

either way, if you care that much about a couple of weeks then you can purchase a new one in the stores for less than a ps3, still
so no matter which way you split it, you lose if you buy a ps3
i'm just trying to save him a couple hundred bucks if that's important or he's not a 12 year old who can't wait a couple of weeks
:shrug:

A couple hundred isn't that much to some people. Especially if the couple hundred get you a Blueray player.

A couple hundred isn't that much to some people. Especially if the couple hundred get you a Blueray player.
ps3 is definitely a product for enthusiasts and sony completionists only -- you're right about that.

If you want a good console with good games at a good price, you buy a 360; if you want to dance around in front of your TV like a friendgot, you buy a wii; if you want to waste money on a game system that has no games that has a player for movies that will be obsolete after this christmas, you get a ps3

in the long run, hardware-wise, the ps3 is cheaper, and it has some amazing games coming out in the next few months.

That being said, I just bought an xbox 360 (halo 3 edition, woot?) and it's just as good. They both offer different things.

But, since you didn't ask for a comparison, if you have the time to play it, get a 360. It's worth it.

i think the sony style/sony card save $150 deal is still going on, brings the 80GB PS3 price down to $450
i got the 60GB a few weeks ago plus 5 blu-ray movies
paid $350 for $700 of stuff
the equivalent 360 "bundle" would be $800
even at $600 the 60GB was not overpriced, I just wasn't willing to pay for it

the game selection + xbox live is what puts the 360 on top, and it will probably always be better overall in those aspects

:huh:

"the only thing this GAME CONSOLE has over the game console i prefer is games, and the game console i prefer will have games sometime in the future."

no shit, I had to read that post twice to make sure I read it right. either he's a complete idiot or he was being sarcastic.

hence why i said IF THAT IS IMPORTANT, some people like saving money, some people don't really care

and i wouldn't want a blueray player anyways, i know the war isn't over, but i can't imagine sony winning anything

i think the sony style/sony card save $150 deal is still going on, brings the 80GB PS3 price down to $450
i got the 60GB a few weeks ago plus 5 blu-ray movies
paid $350 for $700 of stuff
the equivalent 360 "bundle" would be $800
even at $600 the 60GB was not overpriced, I just wasn't willing to pay for it

the game selection + xbox live is what puts the 360 on top, and it will probably always be better overall in those aspects

ummmmmmm, what?
those figures sound slightly/completely off. but i'm too lazy investigate
and a 150 dollar sony card isn't exactly taking 150 bucks off, it's giving you 150 bucks of sony crap or it can be used to bring down the price of something ELSE you'd like to buy, but ultimately you're spending more money

if i could get a 60GB PS3 + 5 blu-ray movies for $350 i'd do it in a heartbeat

but somehow i think silverspirit is a fucking idiot and that's not what it actually comes out do

Back