I'm back, sluts!

well it all depends on how you count things, now sure how being attracted to the opposite sex and demonstrating you're alpha makes you an idiot, but ok

we also have like the best male hockey team in the entire UK premier league of hockey (out of something like 8 teams gYeah)

and yeah if you think about it, honey badger is about right for a coventry mascot

This thread sucks, I'm hijacking it.
Just got offered an internship for 8 months, with potential for 16 months, in Alberta in a natural oil and gas company for materials testing. I still have one year left of study (mech eng).
They're offering me 21 bucks an hour, and saying I'll probably be working 50-60 hours a week.
21*40+( 1.5*21*15)= 1312.5 CAD a week or 5250 CAD a month. If I only work 40 hours, I'm only making 3360 CAD a month.
Except they ain't paying accommodations, and rent is like 1500 CAD for a bachelor's. I'm throwing in another 1000 for other expenses.
So I'd only be really making between 13,760 CAD (40 hour week) and 44,000 CAD (55 hour week) in a 16 month period.

I'd get certified on tons of shit and it would give me great experience but I don't feel the monetary compensations are adequate.

Anyone in the business or whatever have any advice? Dunno if I should take it.

$21 sounds low for the oilpatch but I haven't worked directly in it for over 10 years. Hopefully you don't have to be locked-in for 8 months only to find out you could make 50% with a different company while you're out there.

edit: are there any organizations like APEGA that lists standard rates for engineering services?

$21 sounds low for the oilpatch but I haven't worked directly in it for over 10 years. Hopefully you don't have to be locked-in for 8 months only to find out you could make 50% with a different company while you're out there.

edit: are there any organizations like APEGA that lists standard rates for engineering services?

It's for material testing, so it's not "engineering"; it's more technician work. I got their offer by email and it includes 300 dollars per month for living expenses.
I'm currently waiting on a likely prospect with a mining company, that pays more and all expenses paid, so I'll just decline the oil company's offer. I'd rather do online courses for 4 months than lock in 8 months at a job I don't really want with meager pay (for the field it's in).

Last edited:
It's for material testing, so it's not "engineering"; it's more technician work. I got their offer by email and it includes 300 dollars per month for living expenses.
I'm currently waiting on a likely prospect with a mining company, that pay more and all expenses paid, so I'll just decline the oil company's offer. I'd rather do online courses for 4 months than lock in 8 months at a job I don't really want with meager pay (for the field it's in).

That was pretty damn week, especially considering the industry and how much they typically pay to people without an engineering degree.

I think you made a wise choice.

That was pretty damn week, especially considering the industry and how much they typically pay to people without an engineering degree.

I think you made a wise choice.

The people that make money in the oil and gas industry, especially labourers, work around 60 hour weeks. Overtime is 1.5 times your current hourly wage, so you make bank on those extra 20 hours.

In any case, I agree. Someone on TW wanna offer me a job? lol

I'm currently waiting on a likely prospect with a mining company, that pays more and all expenses paid, so I'll just decline the oil company's offer. I'd rather do online courses for 4 months than lock in 8 months at a job I don't really want with meager pay (for the field it's in).

Cool, it's nice to have one prospect while looking for better things. I've heard mining engineers straight out of school are making $60k+.

The last 3 companies I've worked for are consulting engineers for energy/power/natural resources/whatever you want to call it (primarily mining/petroleum jobs), currently there seems to be a shortage of qualified workers including co-op/summer labour.

This thread sucks, I'm hijacking it.
Just got offered an internship for 8 months, with potential for 16 months, in Alberta in a natural oil and gas company for materials testing. I still have one year left of study (mech eng).
They're offering me 21 bucks an hour, and saying I'll probably be working 50-60 hours a week.
21*40+( 1.5*21*15)= 1312.5 CAD a week or 5250 CAD a month. If I only work 40 hours, I'm only making 3360 CAD a month.
Except they ain't paying accommodations, and rent is like 1500 CAD for a bachelor's. I'm throwing in another 1000 for other expenses.
So I'd only be really making between 13,760 CAD (40 hour week) and 44,000 CAD (55 hour week) in a 16 month period.

I'd get certified on tons of shit and it would give me great experience but I don't feel the monetary compensations are adequate.

Anyone in the business or whatever have any advice? Dunno if I should take it.

To be honest I wouldn't care at all about money for your first five years or so if you can cope then just take it.

As long as the companies that you work with share knowledge and training and you get experience it will pay off ten times more than a few extra thousand now.

I did the same thing when I was young and I jumped around jobs and employers b/c I thought I was worth more money. I did get more but now I see some of my co-workers from back then who stuck it out are mostly General Managers or the like. I am doing well but I aint at GM level, and peobably won't ever get there now unless I really flog myself to death. Problem is now I feel too old and too fucked just trying to keep up that it is hard to push that bit harder to get into upper management.

Meltdown said:
zomg this is meltdown city over here

Obibun? more like Chernoybibun, amrite?

Meltdown said:
I'm sorry, Rayn, you're no longer a verifiable persona in these proceedings.
:jester:

Meltdown said:
Ah, but he cared so much to see arsin banned so that he could leave these forums in peace.

And now.. nothing has been resolved. Does he appear to care? Will we ever see "him" again?

No, we have only to await the return of arsin, renewed in his lunacy by your affirmation and assistance of his horrendous and ridiculous lies.

By helping this monster, you are making him worse, Rayn.
too much! :lol:

Meltdown said:
Far be it for me to make assumptions, as unfounded assumptions truly are the root of all evil.

But is it not true that almost a year ago, arsin was pushed to his emotional and psychological limit because various people persisted in making fun of the appearance of somebody he no longer claims to be?

I find that not even in my wildest fantasies could anyone become so attached to a stolen identity that it would cause them sufficient mental anguish enough to warrant a total psychological breakdown, thereupon followed by open threats and a ban.

Not even in my wildest fantasies, my dear friends. It is, by all means, a logical impossibility.
:rofl:
Good read that thread :p:

Thank you Ob and gfg

Last edited:
To be honest I wouldn't care at all about money for your first five years or so if you can cope then just take it.

As long as the companies that you work with share knowledge and training and you get experience it will pay off ten times more than a few extra thousand now.

I did the same thing when I was young and I jumped around jobs and employers b/c I thought I was worth more money. I did get more but now I see some of my co-workers from back then who stuck it out are mostly General Managers or the like. I am doing well but I aint at GM level, and peobably won't ever get there now unless I really flog myself to death. Problem is now I feel too old and too fucked just trying to keep up that it is hard to push that bit harder to get into upper management.

I'm not really looking to jump around jobs. I've actually never lived in a city for longer than 3 years at a time. I move a lot, and usually it isn't by choice. I'm not running in to trouble, but it seems that I always have to move for one reason or another (father's work, better opportunities, etc). So, I wouldn't mind finding a job and settling down for a decade or two. I'm just trying to find the best starting job I can. I know that if you work up north, or in places like Fort MacMurray, in Alberta, starting salary for an engineer with some of the bigger oil companies is 90 000 CAD, plus signing bonus, plus benefits, plus housing, plus medical, etc. Mining is the same, to an extent. I know they pay well, I don't know how well. I'm sure it's comparable.

That was why I was iffy on this job, I felt like I was putting my foot through the door, and it would open other doors, but the risk is too great, and for the foreseeable future, the reward is too small.

Thanks for the advice.

watching ellen post in this thread is like watching a chimp smearing its own shit all over itself and laughing at the humans outside the cage because he thinks theyre dumb

chillin
engineering nerds are talkin engineering
raging nerds are raging
apathetic people are posting whatever
ellen is being autistic as fuck

Back