[HL3] Gabe Newell's Immersion Circulator "Joule."

I'm going to smoke a big joint of lamb in a similar way to pulled pork. I love lamb, I've never really noticed 'gaminess' from lamb although it does have it's own smell (so does beef and pork) I guess it is just what you grow up with/get used to. It's a bit like busting out goat or venison chops on people (although they are definitely gamey)

I don't like sous vide because I like my meat at 220f :sunny:

A hot water bath is going to do a much better job bringing temperatures up than the air inside a smoker.

Smoked food generally has a salty rub/brine/mop/sop, possibly nitrates, maybe some vinegar, etc. and the dehydration of the outside of the meat combined with all the regular ingredients inhibit bacterial growth very well.

This method looks dumb, but alright have fun with your tiny overpriced mag-mixer for food.

Smoked food generally has a salty rub/brine/mop/sop, possibly nitrates, maybe some vinegar, etc. and the dehydration of the outside of the meat combined with all the regular ingredients inhibit bacterial growth very well.

lololololololol um... no to anything there but the nitrates and that you cutely listed as "possibly" so I'll just stick with a flat out no.

Oh and it's nitrites not nitrates you use in your bbq(if you use them)

lololololololol um... no to anything there but the nitrates and that you cutely listed as "possibly" so I'll just stick with a flat out no.

Oh and it's nitrites not nitrates you use in your bbq(if you use them)

When you add ingredients like celery salt, it has nitrates in it. Salt, acid, and reducing moisture content all inhibit bacterial growth. Its a process using ingredients designed to preserve food for storage. :ofn2:

I'm going to smoke a big joint[strike] of lamb in a similar way to pulled pork. I love lamb, I've never really noticed 'gaminess' from lamb although it does have it's own smell (so does beef and pork) I guess it is just what you grow up with/get used to. It's a bit like busting out goat or venison chops on people (although they are definitely gamey)

I don't like sous vide because I like my meat at 220f[/strike] :sunny:

ya

When you add ingredients like celery salt, it has nitrates in it. Salt, acid, and reducing moisture content all inhibit bacterial growth. Its a process using ingredients designed to preserve food for storage. :ofn2:

Most ppl don't add celery salt to their smoked food. I am well aware what nitrates do and don't do but are you aware that there is a difference between nitrates and nitrites and that when many ppl refer to pink salt they're refering to nitrites not nitrates.

Also nitrites are rarely necessary for smoking meat. As far as salt goes you said rub do you really think that your salt rub is penetrating the interior of the meat to prevent anything internal? Same goes for your vinegar "mop". None of it protects anything in reality it's the temperature and the quickness it reaches that temperature that is doing all the work.

so did we decide to just throw meat on your fucking grill?
or are you gays arguing about how water transfers heat around the planet and it's specific density and also how sound waves travel in it

Most ppl don't add celery salt to their smoked food. I am well aware what nitrates do and don't do but are you aware that there is a difference between nitrates and nitrites and that when many ppl refer to pink salt they're refering to nitrites not nitrates.

Also nitrites are rarely necessary for smoking meat. As far as salt goes you said rub do you really think that your salt rub is penetrating the interior of the meat to prevent anything internal? Same goes for your vinegar "mop". None of it protects anything in reality it's the temperature and the quickness it reaches that temperature that is doing all the work.

Actually celery salt is fairly common for brines, and due to the nature of salt in a product thats mostly made of water like meat, it transfers into the cut, especially in a pork belly that brines for a week at least. The nature of a salt is that it goes into solution.

Most ppl know about pink salt, its common knowledge, like very very basic stuff.

Fact is that adding salt to food is an ancient method of preventing food from spoiling and youre trying to argue that it doesnt work. Thats dumb.

If you brine for over a week sure but if you're just slapping on a rub then into the smoker no

Rubs usually go on days before, you want to draw out moisture with the salt. Some of the oils from whatever other spice you add just sort of sit there on top for sure. There is a ton of fluid exchange occurring when you salt a cut of meat, and it all acts to halt bacterial growth in the danger zone during low temp smoking of thick cuts. Not only are you adding to the salinity, but you alter the pH with most bbq ingredients as well.

Back