Got Questions for former dynamix employees?

vawlk said:
What I would like to know is how did the general game design of T2 change over it's development cycle? Did it start out as a T1 clone? What events caused major gameplay shifts during development? How much weight did the tribes communities have when making dev decisions?

And finally, If you could go back and change one thing about T2, what would it be? (and be honest...no brown nosing "I would make it like T1!!!11!" answers)

Good questions.

I want to hear of any juicy "inside" stories on the politcs and bureaucracy that went along with the game developement.

vawlk said:
I can't believe people are still asking this question.

First: Ultimately, the skill of the players in T1 increased to the point where it surpased bounds that the game was developed for.

so?

vawlk said:
Second: Now imagine throwing in a newbie to a T1 server with all those vets. It would take exactly 30 seconds for them to quit....very possibly before they even learn to leave the ground. There had to be some sort of level playing field.

The learning curve for T1 actually decreased as time went on. You can download the game now already pre-configured with scripts and everything. Skiing isn't about mashing the space bar or whatever, you just hold down a button and it's a constant state. The point is, the developers didn't need to dumb the game down to cater to new people, just kind of pickup where T1 left off in terms of what we'd already done to make it more "user friendly".

Any sequel is going to have an experienced and skilled following. You should ALWAYS cater to the core audience first, period.

vawlk said:
Third: Part of T1s success was accidental, part was its lack of copy protection, and part was the gameplay. With T2, well, you can't make something great accidentally on purpose.

State the obvious much?

vawlk said:
The only possible way you will ever get T1 with better graphics would be to do it yourself....and legends is an example of why that will never happen either.

Thanks for the lecture sparky. Now I'd like to hear an actual explanation from a developer.

Yeah, where are the answers?

Doesn't matter if they work for GG or not. They probably know everyone there. I'm sure they are automatically made "associates" and are helping out.

A couple of good questions:

What are some things that set Dynamix apart in its development focus, as compared to some other dev houses? Or, if not in comparison to other dev houses, what are the key strengths that you would highlight?

The engines created for Starsiege, Tribes and Tribes 2 had no peer at the time for what they did, and in a lot of ways the ideas pioneered in Tribes are only now hitting the big-time -- huge outdoor environments, a variety of movement systems, etc. And at the same time, those games accomplished gaming innovation efficiently, while today's games seem to have ever bigger budgets but ever smaller return on their efforts. Where do you think the dynamix team would have focused on innovating next, and what aspects of game innovation would you say hold the greatest opportunity for RoI (return on investment ... or, return on innovation I guess)?

Dynamix had a long record of fairly (sometimes epic) successful games, so they not only had a solid development crew but good marketing/management. All that went into the shitter when they were swallowed by VUG. EA just swallowed DICE, so sometime in the next... 6 years they'll get closed down too.

Also, gaming back then was for the love of the game and a little cash. Now, it's *serious* money. You could draw parallels to NASCAR being a money-grubbing sport now as opposed to its true racing roots.

In 1999 I reported a clipping bug that could allow the capper to get *inside* the bottom of the tower on Raindance and turtle.

Did you guys ever get that?

Can you give us any insight into the history just before the start of development of T1 up to its release?

Back