[Feedback] Shield pack capping

Zephir

Veteran XV
A few of us were having an argument over this earlier today in server. Basically the scenario was..
Striker was capping on Emerald.Myself and a few others playing LD. After about mid map, Striker starts doing shield capping since e pack wasnt working to well.
His runs went something like this: (In light I beleive)
Suit Up
Head directly for the enemy flag
Turn on shield about 1 sec before grab
Grab, stop, take about 3 discs and serveral hand nades, DJ backwards and fly or toss the flag back to his stand.

This happened about 5-7 times, the only times he didnt grab was when he was disced before grabbing and missed the flag. Though it just takes a respawn and a 5 sec ski to get back to our flag. The times he did die was from snipers, but this is after he grabs and is about over the middle buildings.

After having a "discussion" about it on the next map, some felt it was un balanced while others felt it was fine. My problem with it is, even with him being in light,against 3 LD that saw him approach, he could still take ~3 discs, ~2 hand nades, and a full dj and still survive. Shield pack or not, this seems rediculous. There are a few ways to try and stop him as some suggested, but the only way that really seems like a real suggestion is to bb him as he comes in. Which I agree with, but its not that simple since grapples off the builings into the grab. Also, he was really the only person on his team grabbing/capping (not really much support), and they ended up winning it. While there might be an effective way to stop 1 person doing shield capping, I could see it being a bitch in competetion if a team had 2-3 cappers doing this on the smaller maps.

I realize its most effective on Emerald, since it's a small map, and that it is being changed to make it larger. Even with the change I think that this would still work almost as well.

Bleh.. discuss.

I think the shield should give less protection over it's duration. Someone had the idea in another thread and I liked it. WHen you first turn it on it gives like 100% of whatever it does now, but it gradually fades down back to it's passive mode once it's turned on.

Heh, hadnt seen that done before, but yeah thats definitely not very balanced. I bet something similar could be done on cavern. Sneak around when the enemy defense is disrupted and turn the shield on right before you grab and grapple home. You could probably get half way across the map before the shield reverts to passive mode again.

grappler plus shield pack = cap

lolercaust

make the maps bigger so LD can chase the cappers and kills him before he gets back :|

or do something about the flags, er no using active back packs when holding a flag :p

Xagothae.1 said:
I don't think this will be a problem after the patch since the distance is going to be increased between the flags.

....Well, as Striker, the guy who was sheild capping said..
"I dont think it would matter. As it is I overshoot the flag."

Meaning a slight increase in flag distance wont affect much.

Putting a disk in front of him doesnt always push him away enough to where he doesnt grab, and remember its about 3 people disking him.

EDIT: Ill try and get a movie next time i notice somehow doing it.

well, unless im wrong, discs have an EXPLOSION, and this EXPLOSION would seem to knock them off track etc. i hear what your saying, but it seems like EVEN IF the discs don't kill him, the explosions (if they were palced right) would slow him down/knock him off track enough to make it unaffective, unless the shieldpacker was on a good route (likely.) to me it seems that intead of toning down the shield pack, it should be easier to knock them off track or SOMETHING like that.

to tell the truth, the shield pack of t1/t2 is far cooler and takes more skill, but i guess its too late for that

Strik3r said:
<<<<Is mad another guy is playing beta under his name.

Strik3r = Join Date: 02-08-2003
-Striker- = Join Date: 10-09-2000

Maybe its time for You to look for a new name. VGO

<3 teh -Striker-

[On Topic] Ive seen this used Multiple Times - by Striker and a few others and its Incredibly Dominant even with Skilled LD like Zephir and others Tag Teaming. [/ON TOPIC]

Mindflayr said:
Strik3r = Join Date: 02-08-2003
-Striker- = Join Date: 10-09-2000

Maybe its time for You to look for a new name. VGO

<3 teh -Striker-

[On Topic] Ive seen this used Multiple Times - by Striker and a few others and its Incredibly Dominant even with Skilled LD like Zephir and others Tag Teaming. [/ON TOPIC]

also I should point out this is my second tw name, i lost the old one due to inactivity

make the shield pack work more like the old shield pack.

Basically, active gives you 10 seconds of 75% protection, but you get less time for every hit (as it's working to stop things, not just ready) this way maybe the LD can at least drop the shields making the DJ home undoable :shrug:

someone else said something similar above too

Back