Driving standard

Standard is kind of an old-timers term. I've only ever heard old people use it. Probably because when they were growing up, automatics were the new tech at added cost so manual was "standard" for them.

Think brakes. Hit brakes and you're more likely to hydroplane or go veering out of control. Downshift and this is less likely to happen.

I can't believe you can tell me about torque and rpms and you didn't think of this.
You're retarded.

You can gradually put on the brakes, which provides a smooth, equal force. If you downshift, it's a sudden force on the drive wheels only.

i pretty much drive with my right hand, left hand out the window.

I dont know if I could drive with my left hand at this point.

and I think by 'downshifting' you are referring to engine braking. don't do it; you have brakes, use them. fyi downshifting simply means going to a lower gear. releasing the clutch without giving gas to slow down is not implied, and is a bad thing to do in general. there is debate on whether it actually hurts the engine (thus the phrase: engine braking breaks the engine), but the real reason not to do this is it doesn't turn on your brake lights, which can be a safety hazard for you, especially if you start doing this manuever without thinking as it becomes second nature.

for emergency stopping situations engine braking combined with moderate normal braking can stop the car extremely fast in certain situations, just engine braking alone is retarded and like you said a safety hazard... downshifting + braking moderately has saved me a couple times, where as applying the brakes simply wouldve not stopped my car in time because the weight of the engine is still pushing forward at that speed, and the wheels are doing all the stopping, when it could be the engine and the wheels

for emergency stopping situations engine braking combined with moderate normal braking can stop the car extremely fast in certain situations, just engine braking alone is retarded and like you said a safety hazard... downshifting + braking moderately has saved me a couple times, where as applying the brakes simply wouldve not stopped my car in time because the weight of the engine is still pushing forward at that speed, and the wheels are doing all the stopping, when it could be the engine and the wheels

:lol:

24k in 2 years

You're retarded.

You can gradually put on the brakes, which provides a smooth, equal force. If you downshift, it's a sudden force on the drive wheels only.

i drove trucks for a while and downshifting is a lot safer in many cases than using your service brakes.

All of my cars have been manual until this last one. I got a 78 corvette thats an automatic (hate it but couldn't beat the price). I have such an aching to go back to standard that I may drop in an old 4 speed as soon as money becomes available.

I'll never go auto. After a few months of standard you're way more in tune with your car and you're a more focused, active, and safe driver.

Standard
Manual
6 speed/5 speed/4 speed/3 speed

All acceptable terms.

Last edited:

This is all in your head. Sure it feels like it is, but pushing the clutch in and slamming on the brakes is the fastest way to stop. If you can hit the brakes HARD enough to activate the ABS, how is downshifting going to stop/slow you faster?
Pushing the clutch in removes the "weight of the engine" factor.

Why downshift to slow down? Brakes are cheaper to replace than a clutch anyday.

I went with a manual/standard trans because I race on road courses, and you just cant do that in an Automatic.

I drive standard

I learned on standard.

Hardly ever drive any automatic cars, who cares. Standard is easy, I don't have to think about when to shift or how to shift, it's natural.

Back