Driving standard

i'd like to learn manual, but i really don't see how you can "never turn back" to automatic. its just easier. :shrug:

i'd like to learn manual, but i really don't see how you can "never turn back" to automatic. its just easier. :shrug:

automatic is such a drag... whenever i drive my parents car (automatic), i get extremely bored and i end up getting ADD in the car.

you can learn how to drive manual relatively easily, hardest part is understanding how the clutch engages at a certain point when you match it with the revs in 1st gear... once you can take off in 1st, the rest is pretty easy (yes a little scary at first)... itll take awhile before you can actually master it and all the techniques... once you get a feel for it, its like ripping into that first vagina and busting a nut soon thereafter and thats when you come to the realization that automatic was the equivalent of sticking it in some guys poop chute.

the whole point of manual is YOU'RE in control, not some computer telling your transmission when to shift, the only things i dislike about driving stick is constant stop and go traffic (aka traffic jam) and starting off in 1st on a hill in the goddamn pouring rain. other than that its good shit

Pros:

-Better gas mileage
-You're in control
-Really get a feel for the car
-Less chance of a breakdown
-Overall better driving experience
-Less chance of friends asking to drive your car
-And the list goes on and on...

Cons:

-Annoying in stop and go traffic
-Can be tricky stopped at a hill

So it's true over there you don't learn "Standard/Stick Shift/Manual" by default?

Right, automatic sure would be easier but it feels so much better having control and for me makes the ride more enjoyable, i'm learning at the moment but shifting gears was the easiest thing ever.

The only problem you should have as someone mentioned is stop and go traffic, but even then it's not that hard if you're on a flat surface (anoying to use handbrake all the time) or if your naughty like me put some gas on and raise the break with one foot, makes me feel like a rally driver, not really.

;)

i am proud to admit that i've never owned anything with an automatic transmission.

same here

i once had a terrible nightmare that i went out to my car, got in it, went to go push the clutch down and it wasn't there, i look over to the shifter and it was switched to an automatic... thats about the time i ctrl+k'd myself and woke up in a sweat... had to go check my car to make sure i didnt wake up in another nightmare... all was good :cheers:

What? You downshift to keep the engine running at an appropriate RPM. You would likely want a lower RPM for low traction, since you don't want the torque to get away from you.

Think brakes. Hit brakes and you're more likely to hydroplane or go veering out of control. Downshift and this is less likely to happen.

I can't believe you can tell me about torque and rpms and you didn't think of this.

when downshifting its key to rev match as close as possible, without rev matching will cause the car to stop harsher (which can be useful in an emergency stop situation), doing this on accident in the rain however wouldnt be the wisest of decisions

If you're on a steep hill, use your e-brake. When it's time to go again, shift in to first gear and find your friction point, then release the e-brake. You won't roll back at all.

If you're on a steep hill, use your e-brake. When it's time to go again, shift in to first gear and find your friction point, then release the e-brake. You won't roll back at all.

i prefer the adrenaline rush of knowing someone behind me is right on my rear bumper and how fast i can go from the brake pedal to the gas pedal and engage the clutch fast enough to not cause the car to roll back any, most of the time i overrev it a little bit but its better than stalling it out and rolling backwards right into the person behind you ;)

edit:

but yes, the e-brake technique is a good one to know when encountering an uphill battle.

The problem with the e-brake on the hill is that sometimes the light will turn green while you're coming to a stop. I guess it's not a problem, but it's one more thing to think about and I don't really understand people who have problems with manual on a hill, anyway. It's not hard.

The problem with the e-brake on the hill is that sometimes the light will turn green while you're coming to a stop. I guess it's not a problem, but it's one more thing to think about and I don't really understand people who have problems with manual on a hill, anyway. It's not hard.

the whole point of the e-brake is when you're already stopped, if you're still rolling you can just rev match a little and throw it back in gear and be on your way... the problem with the hill is people are use to holding down their precious oversized automatic brake pedal, and when they let off the brake the car will just continue to idle forward, never going back

In what country? I've been through 47 states, and never once heard it referred to as "Standard".

Unless you're talking about either of the Dakotas or Alaska. Then I might concede.

It's called a 'Standard" transmission because that is the default transmission when you buy a new car. Putting Automatic into a vehicle actually costs additional money.

It's called a 'Standard" transmission because that is the default transmission when you buy a new car. Putting Automatic into a vehicle actually costs additional money.

how bout cars that only come in automatic? i guess they are standard transmissions too because its the default transmission when you buy it new...

+1 for manual transmission

I get that. But I don't ever hear anybody call it a "standard" transmission. They call it a manual. Which happens to come "standard" on most cars.

Back