Driving standard

Lone_Predator

Veteran XX
who does this on a regular basis?

It was my shame that I didn't know how to do this so I've been borrowing my brothers truck to learn over the past couple weeks... its hard to get used to after 4 years of driving automatic...

(next step is to get comfortable with stop and go traffic)

wait until you try it in Britain

actually only takes a few mins to get used to it

its the wrong side of the road that can get ya

I learned on a video game.

first time I actually got into a standard transmission car, I could drive it, cause I had played a video game that was fairly realistic a bunch of times.

I've driven an automatic for 10 years. I've been taught to drive stick but never had a manual of my own so I didn't have practice. Strangely, I now want to buy a manual car because I'm tired of mine.

Well.

There is only one thing that comes to mind.

Do you downshift ALWAYS? Or, only when you're driving in rain & snow?

What? You downshift to keep the engine running at an appropriate RPM. You would likely want a lower RPM for low traction, since you don't want the torque to get away from you.

it's recently gotten colder here and downshifting isn't as smooth as usual, at least for a few minutes after starting the car
like if I'm going over 5mph and try to downshift into second the clutch tells me to fuck off

I've only been driving stick for about a month so I don't know if this is normal or what

I learned on a motorcycle around 15yrs old and the same basic principle applies to cars, it's just the shifter and clutch are in different places.

it's recently gotten colder here and downshifting isn't as smooth as usual, at least for a few minutes after starting the car
like if I'm going over 5mph and try to downshift into second the clutch tells me to fuck off

I've only been driving stick for about a month so I don't know if this is normal or what

my car does that as well, the transmission is a bit finicky when it's cold. It goes away after driving for a bit though.

My sister's ex-bf taught me how in a parking lot by my house in about an hour.
I'd like to get a standard and get used to stop and go driving with it.

I think I need to buy more video games that are realistic so I can practice and not have to worry about destroying a transmission. Consequently, I think my next vehicle may be a small pick-up of foreign make (what ever has a standard and the best gas mileage for a pick-up. I know I'm going to be wanting a truck though.)

I have a 5 speed.

I actually like it better than an automatic.

And you will love the idiots that get 6 inches away from your rear bumper on a hill.

Fucking morons.

I have a 5 speed.

I actually like it better than an automatic.

And you will love the idiots that get 6 inches away from your rear bumper on a hill.

Fucking morons.

hahaha, I love that. I always intentionally roll back a little bit before taking off when they get real close to my bumper like that. It never fails either, they always keep their distance at the next stop.

Your transmission fluid needs to warm up. When it is cold (for about 15-20 minutes after turning on the car) it is not as smooth upshifting and downshifting. There's a reason I start my car about 20 minutes before I want to leave in the morning.

hahaha, I love that. I always intentionally roll back a little bit before taking off when they get real close to my bumper like that. It never fails either, they always keep their distance at the next stop.

lol i love that too.

so i do it again.

hoping you would hit my automatic so I can laugh at your shitty skills in driving.

I drove manual in high school. bought a car in automatic. never looked back.

Seriously, it's fun for a little while then it gets old. My gf thinks it's the coolest thing in the world.. sigh.

For her, when I buy my next car it'll be manual, but it's fucking retarded.

Your transmission fluid needs to warm up. When it is cold (for about 15-20 minutes after turning on the car) it is not as smooth upshifting and downshifting. There's a reason I start my car about 20 minutes before I want to leave in the morning.
nm

Back