Alternative to Sonicwall

Well there goes that one. :(

FUCK!!! I so hate McAfee. Fuck.

Haven't heard of that one. I'll check it out.

Fortinet, Inc. : Multi-threat Security Systems For Real Time Network Protection, Network Virus Protection, VPN, Intrusion Detection & Prevention

Nice web cast available that goes over their application security.

If you can get in touch with MaD_ReBeL, he's been working with FortiNet for close to 10 years and knows their stuff inside and out.

FUCK!!! I so hate McAfee. Fuck.

Fortinet, Inc. : Multi-threat Security Systems For Real Time Network Protection, Network Virus Protection, VPN, Intrusion Detection & Prevention

Nice web cast available that goes over their application security.

If you can get in touch with MaD_ReBeL, he's been working with FortiNet for close to 10 years and knows their stuff inside and out.

10 years ago fortinet was netscreen :p

who ever will give you the better price plus service contract i would go with when it comes to fortinet vs juniper SSG's. they are both really nice machines.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions guys. Now I get to read through whitepapers for the next week.

I've put in a dozen or so Sonicwalls and never once did one have the Gateway AV.

The only times I've seen anything work with consistency in small enviroments(50 or less nodes) is user education and constant updates to all Adobe products. It seems their products have been the largest security holes of late.

I don't care what product you employ, if you want to do this right user education is a large part of it.

sh sent out an email pimping you and dh, who got 'engineer of the year' or some jazz

*edit*
I hope i wasn't the one to break the news, lol

Last edited:
sh sent out an email pimping you and dh, who got 'engineer of the year' or some jazz

*edit*
I hope i wasn't the one to break the news, lol

ha not really.. I got a call saying i got an award, it just wasn't elaborated on

As people said keep smtp filtering off your gateway firewall. Get a Cisco ASA or a Juniper SSG5 and a separate smtp filter (barracuda, mailfoundry whatever). As far as desktop AV/Anti-spyware check CA E-trust ITM.

Our email is hosted off-site behind a Barracuda so we've had little to no problems originating from email. The primary issue is drive-by downloaders and the like that catch even the best-educated users. We're currently using McAfee Total Protection for Small Business since it is what is bundled with our Sonicwall security services subscription. That's definitely going to be changing regardless of what firewall we're using.

Back