Alex Jones just got deleted ( Fahrenheit 451 for reelz)

1 thing leads to another and this is probably the best thing to happen yet. Secure America! Fuck Yeah!!

Caesars Palace not-so-Praetorian guards intimidate DEF CON goers, seize soldering irons | Ars Technica

Soldering irons and other gear were seized, and some attendees reported being intimidated by security staff.

Just as Caesars Entertainment was rolling out its new security policies, the company ran head on into DEF CON—an event with privacy tightly linked to its culture.

The resulting clash of worlds—especially at Caesars Palace, the hotel where much of DEF CON was held—left some attendees feeling violated, harassed, or abused, and that exploded onto Twitter this past weekend.

And since the searches came without any warning other than a knock, they led, in some cases, to frightening encounters for attendees who were in those rooms. Katie Moussouris—a bug bounty and vulnerability disclosure program pioneer at Microsoft, an advocate for security researchers, and now the founder and CEO of Luta Security—was confronted by two male members of hotel security as she returned to her room. When she went into the room to call the desk to verify who they were, they banged on the door and screamed at her to immediately open it.

Totally worth it to ensure citizen safety from evil people

1 thing leads to another and this is probably the best thing to happen yet. Secure America! Fuck Yeah!!

Caesars Palace not-so-Praetorian guards intimidate DEF CON goers, seize soldering irons | Ars Technica

Totally worth it to ensure citizen safety from evil people

Why would it be required to search individual rooms? Since rooms ultimately share a common point of access... such as the lobby or a service entrance, wouldn't it be prudent (and more effective) to secure and monitor those with greater scrutiny, and thus by extension, all the guest rooms?

It would seem to me that searching individual rooms would lead to a much higher potential for awkward situations and disruptions to your guests.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable with the idea that at any random moment some guy with a badge and walkie-talkie can enter my room and search my personal space. Wouldn't make be feel very welcome as a guest.

How else would one smuggle a steamer trunk full of machine guns into a hotel room, without passing through the common area of the main lobby or a service entrance?

Even if I did check a steam trunk full of machine guns in, how would you even know without searching my baggage, before or after reaching my room?

How else would one smuggle a steamer trunk full of machine guns into a hotel room, without passing through the common area of the main lobby or a service entrance?

Even if I did check a steam trunk full of machine guns in, how would you even know without searching my baggage, before or after reaching my room?

tie sheets together and lower it to the ground... run downstairs and tie the sheet to steam trunk.. run upstairs and haul away.

you can't stop that kind of thing

More evidence we are going in the right direction. Totally worth it to not even be effective. Who cares? The more we limit freedom the better off we will be

Sacramento welfare fraud office tracks drivers with license plate data | The Sacramento Bee

Since 2016, Sacramento County officials have been accessing license plate reader data to track welfare recipients suspected of fraud, the Sacramento Bee reported over the weekend.

Sacramento County Department of Human Assistance Director Ann Edwards confirmed to the paper that welfare fraud investigators working under the DHA have used the data for two years on a “case-by-case” basis. Edwards said the DHA pays about $5,000 annually for access to the database.

If a driver passed by an LPR four times throughout a city, an officer with access would know where and at what time of day. Anyone with access to that data could use it track where someone drove and when, provided they were scanned by the LPR. The privacy concerns are obvious, as where people go reveals a lot of privileged information about them. For instance, they could be visiting an STI clinic, an immigration office, or a relative’s homes.

“The use of these really invasive tools... really bothers me, because we’re really talking about small amounts of money and people who in the main are not actually committing fraud,” Mike Herald, director of the Western Center on Law and Poverty, told the Sacramento Bee. “I think we’re only picking on a group of people who are extremely poor and they want to create a perception with the public that there is a real big fraud problem with welfare programs.”

Meh, close enough

It’s not immediately clear how travel patterns might reveal welfare fraud. As noted by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, welfare fraud is statistically speaking, extremely rare. In 2012, the DHA found only 500 cases of fraud among Sacramento’s 193,000 recipients.

Every single person I have ever known that has been on welfare (the dole) has had a second under the table cash job or gains income in other ways and never tells the government.

Pretty sure all welfare is a fraud.

ive never known anybody on welfare because I wouldn't be friends with them in the first place

and im a tw leftist

Most of the people I went to school with either ended up on the dole or in prison.

Shitty place, shitty people

Every single person I have ever known that has been on welfare (the dole) has had a second under the table cash job or gains income in other ways and never tells the government.

Pretty sure all welfare is a fraud.

that goes for unemployment too

back in my younger years i knew plenty of people on unemployment working cash construction jobs while they searched for new fulltime work

that goes for unemployment too

back in my younger years i knew plenty of people on unemployment working cash construction jobs while they searched for new fulltime work

Hell ya, i was collecting unemployment checks 60% of former pay and working a pool job @ $16/hr cash. Now I have a legit full time job but am considered working poor so I get food stamps and save $40 at the grocery and then walk across the street and buy $40 in alcohol. Pretty sweet deal for poor people. Only thing is you gotta buy whatever the hell has the blue sticker on it so you can't be picky about cereal or cheese choices. It is pretty funny to use the WIC card at the same time you're buying $10 sushi box.

Back