[the United States has fallen] superpower? more like superfailure amirite

in Canada your taxes on alcohol are so ridiculous and what a hassle it is to have to go to a government store (unless you are in Quebec). I can go to the supermarket .. the gas station .. I'm pretty sure I can buy beer at elementary school now. Why does your country insist on having a monopoly on selling beer? To make all the money?

Gov't taxes, healthcare money has to come from somewhere :shrug:

in Canada your taxes on alcohol are so ridiculous and what a hassle it is to have to go to a government store (unless you are in Quebec). I can go to the supermarket .. the gas station .. I'm pretty sure I can buy beer at elementary school now. Why does your country insist on having a monopoly on selling beer? To make all the money?

I live in a town of 100k people and we have....

5 Beer Stores and 6 LCBOs (Liquor Stores).

How many more do I need?

(LCBO sells everything alcoholic. The Beer Store only sells like 100 different types of beer).

You can take all your empties for deposit, you get literally 100 different beer choices, the entire place is on treadmills to zip cases around etc, the entire beer store is one gigantic cooler (always like 5degrees inside) so beer is always fresh and cold. Who wouldn't go to one?

I mean I understand your point, but most people who live in even remotely civilized areas live within 5 minutes of an LCBO and/or Beer Store. The government likes money, they are in it to win.

i'd be dead

when you say texans i'm pretty sure you really mean: alabama, arkansas, louisiana, mississippi, and missouri

texas is overall awesome

edit: and throw Kentucky in there, that place is awful

Hey now, disregard the trash, and Missouri is fucking awesome ^_^

I mean I understand your point, but most people who live in even remotely civilized areas live within 5 minutes of an LCBO and/or Beer Store. The government likes money, they are in it to win.
I never understood how this was a hit against Canada. You go to one place and you have so much selection. It's like an adult candy store.

I never understood how this was a hit against Canada. You go to one place and you have so much selection. It's like an adult candy store.

Yeah, I agree, at least in North America.

What's the advantage to buying beer at a convenience store if you're just bringing it home anyway?

Europe (Germany, at least) is another kettle of fish. Being able to buy beer at convenience stores is fucking awesome because you can pop that shit open and drink it as you walk down the street.

Europeans know how to sell/drink liquor. But as far as America/Canada goes, there's very little difference.

Yeah to be honest, this place strives to be the greatest possible solution to beer. I'm not even joking when I say that at least half of them are one gigantic cooler room. In the summer you fucking freeze waiting in line.

Welcome to The Beer Store: The Ultimate Source for Beer in Ontario

Like I said, they know Canadians love beer, and they love making money. The result is... *sniff* something special :*)

I can never figure out how people, even Canadian, still say this. it's an indication of two things.

1. you've never been to the US
2. you don't really drink and this is what your dad and uncles say so you say it

or both... probably both.

do they not import the shit ton of craft beer in the US to other countries or something? if so, talk about the rest of the world missing out...

This:

"Most beers are fairly equal, but Canada has a lot of stronger beers that don't really exist in the States. The average CDN beer is 5.5% where it's closer to 4.5% in America."

Also, I've been to at least 16 US states in 26 years so that's invalid pops.

many people have pointed out that LCBOs and Beer Stores are just as, if not more convenient than convenience stores. Especially if you're looking for ice cold beverages that you don't have to refrigerate first.

not to mention the selection is 10x better

i'm not gonna lie, i'd go to canada to drink some good brew and watch some hockey. but as soon as i was done, i'd come back.

many people have pointed out that LCBOs and Beer Stores are just as, if not more convenient than convenience stores. Especially if you're looking for ice cold beverages that you don't have to refrigerate first.

not to mention the selection is 10x better

all grocery stores around me have probably 50 types of beer all refrigerated. smaller stores within a couple blocks of me have a dozen or more types. Its nice to be able to buy beer with a minute or 2 walk.

:)

i dont understand where you guys are getting the impression that most beer is sold at room temperature.

all grocery stores around me have probably 50 types of beer all refrigerated. smaller stores within a couple blocks of me have a dozen or more types. Its nice to be able to buy beer with a minute or 2 walk.

:)

i dont understand where you guys are getting the impression that most beer is sold at room temperature.

yeah right. 50 types. there are only 3, Bud, Miller and Coors... just ask rizzle...

here is an American grocery store - an easy one to visit if you are from the Toronto area - Wegman's. this picture represents 1/4 of the beer outside of the walk in cooler. usually 2 full aisles, divided up by region. the largest selection is usually New York/New England stuff.

wegmans%20beer%20aisle2.jpg

Last edited:
Back