NEStalgia - free online multiplayer RPG based on old nintendo games

Fancy Cat

Contributor
Veteran XX
IndieGames.com - The Weblog - Online Multiplayer RPG NEStalgia Launches

booyeah

Imagine if all those other wandering characters in your favourite NES-era RPG were actual players, and you could roam about together completing quests and kicking dragon tail? Daydream no longer, my friends - NEStalgia has launched.

After a length beta period, the game is now available to download for free. Players can join the game, create a hero, and party up with friends and strangers alike. Battling is turn-based, and every area found on your voyage, from the small towns to the dark caves, is extremely reminiscent of old school 8-bit RPGs.

You can join up with other people any time you want, or go it alone. Customization is a huge part of the whole affair too, as players can dress their characters up in whatever clothing and armour they choose, and opt for whichever character class suits their playing style. You can even create your own guild, complete with your own customizable guild cape.

Very awesome indeed. To play, you'll need to download and register with the BYOND game system, enabling you to save your game and stats. Definitely worth checking this one out - head over to the NEStalgia site now.

link to game download:

NEStalgia - Old Meets New

I will be downloading this when I get home

I've been waiting for someone to do this for a long time... Sort of.
I more so wanted an MMO with gameplay and visuals akin to Secret of Mana.

It's laggy as all fuck, played through the "opening" quest, it's a neat game, but right now it's almost unplayable when not in combat. Kinda disappointing.

It's laggy as all fuck, played through the "opening" quest, it's a neat game, but right now it's almost unplayable when not in combat. Kinda disappointing.

Silk Games - Welcome new players! More servers are coming!
SilkWizard (Lead Developer) said:
Holy crap. When I sent out emails to a handful of gaming sites this morning, I knew in the back of my mind that getting featured on Reddit and larger sites was possible, but I obviously didn't expect it. Our top priority right now is starting up more game servers to reduce the login spam that's causing all of the lag - NEStalgia usually plays very smoothly.

Hmm, I'll check this out on a later date, Byond had some pretty cool gems if you dig around on it, played some online 8bit final fantasy game MMO that was pretty badass, if not broken at high level, I'll have to look for it.

Back