Google just bought Motorola

Google bought Motorola Mobility, aka the unprofitable division/company (2011) that Motorola has been trying to ditch for years.

I remember working in an office next to these guys. They always thought they were getting laid off. It sounded like a piece of shit company.

I'm not sure why Google would want to involve themselves in the hardware arena, but maybe they'll finally turn it into a good company.

I'm not sure why Google would want to involve themselves in the hardware arena, but maybe they'll finally turn it into a good company.

They can leverage what was Motorola to more directly compete with Apple, and the upcoming Windows Phone/Nokia partnership.

Also, now they can get in on the lucrative part of selling hardware. These devices cost $150 to make, and sell for $600 at retail. That type of markup at retail for electronics is unheard of outside of the smartphone industry.

Google bought Motorola Mobility, aka the unprofitable division/company (2011) that Motorola has been trying to ditch for years.

I remember working in an office next to these guys. They always thought they were getting laid off. It sounded like a piece of shit company.

or just lay everyone off and keep the patents...

prolly wont go this far but I think the patents are what they were after.

which is why all of this is really not good for anyone. Patent wars and lawsuits will only stifle innovation long term.

Mark Cuban, of all people, had a great rant on this topic last week or so: My Suggestion on Patent Law « blog maverick

I'm more of an apple guy than anything else, i suppose, but what they're doing with Samsung in Europe and Asia shouldn't be allowed. Likewise, Google has some very nasty history both in engaging in patent lawsuits and in ignoring the patents of others and seeking to profit, not to mention for all their fanboy love about "openness" they actually don't manage to be open on the thigns that actually make them money.

Realistically, we need an entirely revamped approach to patents and copyright in this country. It's yet another example of deregulation and the institutionalization of anti competitive practices that's really been rife in our country for quite some time.

google has already dabbled with htc and samsung for their nexus phones... all this means is that they have a dedicated hardware partner and patents.

english motherfucker do you speak it?

Listen you faggot. Is there anyway my text is incomprehensible by anyone who can speak English? Go fuck your faggot English self. It's pretty obvious twizzler would agree since he had to change his nick to hide.

I suspect their next step will be to try acquiring a major wireless provider. I, for one, can hardly wait. Every time they step into a market they drive down prices by making basic, yet awesome services completely free.

Back