T:V to have dolby surround sound?

MaD_ReBeL

Veteran XV
its not a big thing, it wont make or break the game. But true 5.1 dolby digital sound is really f'n cool. that and its a bullet point you can add that doom3 will also have heh.

can a developer type comment on any advanced audio options you plan on having?

ye dolby surround would rock. Now in t2 for optimal sound I have to use the miles audio 4 speakers. Eax doesn't turn out nice in T2. But image T:V with dolby surround whoa!

As a developer of advanced audio in my studio, where in studio is to my bedroom and developer of advanced audio is to loading songs in winamp, I can honestly tell you to just use headphones.

i dont have a nice pair of big headphones anymore, but they really do give you the total immersion merely because it completely blocks everything else out. i think that will be one thing to buy along with upgrades for t:v :)

Sir Lucius said:
As a developer of advanced audio in my studio, where in studio is to my bedroom and developer of advanced audio is to loading songs in winamp, I can honestly tell you to just use headphones.
thanks for telling me what to do. got any stock tips? how should i dress? what should i eat? how can i be more like you?

headphones do not replace true positional sound. you cant emulate positional audio as well as you can reproduce it in a true 5.1 setup.

i have both high quality headphones (HD-600s) and high quality 5.1 positional audio. i prefer 5.1 positional audio as it just sounds better.

go craft something, no one is crying here. just asking questions while people are telling me what i should do instead of wishing for true positional 5.1 sound.

p.s. headphones dont hit me in the chest like my cerwin vega woofer.

What are you talking about? I'm crafting some Dolby Digital 7.1 Surround Speakers for you with my l33t Master Artisan skillz RIGHT NOW.

Oh, I'm also crafting the 3D positional audio into T:V.

You really need a new comback dude. That shit is pretty old (gay).

:shrug: dont care enough to come up with something new.

p.s. dolby to the best of my knowledge cant do 7.1 i think DTS is the only thing than can truely do discrete 6.1 even. i could be wrong though.

regardless, dolby 5.1 would kick ass in T:V. Most consumer audio cards do dolby 5.1 now too.

and before someone says "what about EAX" EAX sux the cack so does Direct sound 3D.

Sir Lucius said:
Hey maybe we could get a dev to comment on how we're all telling you to do stuff??
it would be nice if a developer commented on what you think is best. maybe he could comment on dolby 5.1 too who knows.

I'm turning this into a headphones vs speaker debate.

Music can sound great on speakers, I'll give you that, but head phones are much more useful and practical.

Being noisy aside, let's just focus on how things sound. For headphones, you put them on and you're done. You block out all other sounds, you don't have to worry about ressonation, and you can clearly hear right channel from left channel. This allows you to be more aware.

If you're using a speaker setup you can not achieve the same immersion as you get with headphones unless your an adivd audiophile with a sound friendly room.

Then there's the directional issue. If you turn your head right or left the sound carries over, but you lose direction with a set of speakers. Although not often is it you really need to look away from the monitor, there are still slight movements that can alter what you hear.

Then space is an issue. You can't use speakers on a desk and expect to be able to distingish left from right so easily.

I don't think there's that much of a demand for 5.1

I'll stick to headphones.

Sir Lucius said:
I'm turning this into a headphones vs speaker debate.

Music can sound great on speakers, I'll give you that, but head phones are much more useful and practical.
in your opinion.
Being noisy aside, let's just focus on how things sound. For headphones, you put them on and you're done. You block out all other sounds (only closed ear headphones, you do know there are different types yes?) you don't have to worry about ressonation, and you can clearly hear right channel from left channel. This allows you to be more aware.
in your opinion.
If you're using a speaker setup you can not achieve the same immersion as you get with headphones unless your an adivd audiophile with a sound friendly room.
uh, youve never heard a well placed 5.1 system then. even z560 or klipsch speakers hell even creative makes a 'decent' computer speakers. youre speaking ignorantly if you really believe this.
Then there's the directional issue. If you turn your head right or left the sound carries over, but you lose direction with a set of speakers. Although not often is it you really need to look away from the monitor, there are still slight movements that can alter what you hear.
you dont know much about audio do you? furthermore how often do you swivel your head more than a few degrees while playing games? are you one of those fidgety controller throwing kids?
Then space is an issue. You can't use speakers on a desk and expect to be able to distingish left from right so easily.
says you. some of us know how to setup our sytems.
I don't think there's that much of a demand for 5.1
based on what evidence? go look down the sound card aisle at your local (enter big named store here). tell me how many list 5.1. now tell me how many 5.1 speaker setups they sell. then tell me there isnt demand.
I'll stick to headphones.
thats great im happy for you. wtf does that have to do with me wanting the best possible 5.1 positional audio in T:V?

I have a 5.1 card, but I don't have 5.1 speakers...I bet a lot of people are in the same boat. So it would be cool for 5.1 sound to be an option, but I doubt it shouldn't be a priority. Not that anyone said it should be.

I use teamspeak a lot, so I like speakers AND headphones at the same time... like this:

Speakers = game sounds
Headset (mono) = teamspeak

5.1 surround would be great - especially for people who pump their computer stuff through an HDTV/projector and their home theater system (like me :D)

ChaoStar said:
I have a 5.1 card, but I don't have 5.1 speakers...I bet a lot of people are in the same boat. So it would be cool for 5.1 sound to be an option, but I doubt it shouldn't be a priority. Not that anyone said it should be.
Not just 5.1 sound, 5.1 Dolby DIGITAL sound!! Meaning <1% of computer users. Making this a highly sought after addition. But mAd_rEbEl wants it, so let's do it for his sake!

Actually I think 4 speaker support would be just dandy and apply to a significantly larger group of people, without seriously diminishing that oh-so-wonderful DD quality.

Virtus said:
I use teamspeak a lot, so I like speakers AND headphones at the same time... like this:

Speakers = game sounds
Headset (mono) = teamspeak

5.1 surround would be great - especially for people who pump their computer stuff through an HDTV/projector and their home theater system (like me :D)
i have a receiver dedicated for my PC audio :D

i also have a similar setup but i use a plantronics USB DSP headset for teamspeak.

Back