3 armors
tank
shocklance
kickin' red suits
generators
jump jets
"Need Repairs!"

It all seems so... familiar.

It's fun, but I can't stand the slow movement speed. Running is just so boring, and there's not enough skill in sprinting.

What are you hearing from your friends (if anything) about it?

I'm curious what the response to a T2-like game on the Unreal engine is.

Just from playing the demo and the one map:

- The stationary (not deployable) turrets are way too strong
- Very defense oriented
- The artifact thing is buried too deep in a base and is easily defended with deployables.
- Vehicle driving is server side and uncontrollable with anything over 100 ping

There's probably more. I'll be trying out the full thing when it comes out later today.

(Boy do a lot of those issues sound familiar)

FireStarter said:
XMP is nothing like T2.

thx.

The things that takes away the fun from XMP are very very similar to the things that take the fun away from T2.

In that respect they have a lot in common.

I love it. It obviously ISNT tribes, but it also obviously has taken quite a few tips from the tribes series (among others).

I've been beta testing since august, and have truly grown to love it.

I also think XMP and perhaps UT2k4 will be GOOD for T:V down the road, as it's bringing an old school flavor with tribesy elements back to the players (without the trappings of endless debates about "sequels" and "changes").

IMO, unreal2 should have had MP to begin with as they originally had planned, and ut2k3 should never have been basically ported from console to PC.

As for the technical criticisms of the game, stated above, I'd just suggest folks give it a fair shot.

Folks also criticize tribes games without giving them a fair shot as well, and frankly... it's usually criticisms based on their lack of skill/understanding of the mechanics of the gameplay.

/me walks away whistling innocently

oh wait!

We can MOD xmp. Want a spinfuser? Want stronger jetpacks? Want tribesy skiing?

It can be done, if folks want to see it. I just want to say that whatever folks here organize to do that we try to see this all as prepping the way for T:V.

Finally, if you need a good server, try "myunreal" or "factory." The game itself isn't laggy, but unfortunately many of the servers are.

yeah it's alright...reminds me a bit of planetside as well...i find the jump jets annoying though, because its like...you want to jet like you do in tribes...but then it just sucks..and like you said, there just doesnt seem to be much skill in using them, unlike a true jetpack.

but....for being free for unreal2 owners....its not half bad.

Got Haggis? said:
yeah it's alright...reminds me a bit of planetside as well...i find the jump jets annoying though, because its like...you want to jet like you do in tribes...but then it just sucks..and like you said, there just doesnt seem to be much skill in using them, unlike a true jetpack.

but....for being free for unreal2 owners....its not half bad.

lol

dude, i been playing xmp for months and i STILL think i can ski and get pissed off all the time. as for skill, well, that's to me an fruitless debate, honestly. the game requires skill in terms of movement WAY beyond other non-tribes game.

tip:

hold shift while you double tap forward (dodge), then jump. you will FLY far that way, but you suck up all your energy immediately.

is that skill? or knowledge? i guess it depends on how you use these lesser-known movements.

ZenTseTse said:
IMO, unreal2 should have had MP to begin with as they originally had planned, and ut2k3 should never have been basically ported from console to PC.

How is it exactly that UT2k3 was ported from a console to the PC when the UT engine has had 5 years of ongoing development now on the PC? Oh, so they made the PC engine for UT, then developed it further specifically for a console, then after that decided to convert it back for the PC. Sounds completely logical.

And from what I've seen, XMP seems to be another giant waste of time, so it's definitely not enough to get me to buy Unreal 2.

Marweas said:
It's fun, but I can't stand the slow movement speed. Running is just so boring, and there's not enough skill in sprinting.

You have obviously not mastered the leatness of the dodge jump.
You can make some incredibly long leaps if you know what you're doing. I keep trying to ski downhill afterwards though :(

Speaking of skills.
Jeep stunting is awesome.
When I'm not lagging, I can turn the jeep into a shrike :eek: (it's hilarious, because as long as you keep shift pressed, you'll get boosts that will keep you in the air).

I didn't like it all that much at first, but I'm beginning to like it. You need to have people on your team that know what they are doing, and you can't be on a laggy server. Having the two elements present doesn't happen often. You really need at LEAST 20 people in a server for it to be any good, and most servers cap out at 16 (wtf?). I sure hope T:V doesn't have such cruddy servers to start off with.

They could make the walk speed a little faster...it's so annoying having to walk, and sometimes you need to conserve your energy if you need to make a quick hack or something. I also think the sniper rifle is just way too powerful. If you get 3 snipers on the roof, your base is a freaking fortress.

It's pretty fun, but it's definitely not the yummy game-crack that is Tribes.
Not even close.
I feel like stopping after only a match or 2. That never happened with Tribes.

Let this be a lesson for YOUR open beta.. Provide Quality high bandwidth servers for adequate testing.. Actually, I'm sure most members of the Tribes community would convert their servers over for Beta or atleast add it.

Can't wait for T:V. These ground humping games are no good. :)

Anguish said:
marweas is obviously a n00b ...

RUN DODGE FORWARD THEN JET..

welcome to speed

It's true, I didn't master the game the first weekend. :cry:

Thanks for the tip. I keep forgetting to try the dodges with the shift jump.

Back