TL;DR New Starsiege game.

I used to play Arkanoid back in the day. I never saw the ending. That's because they didn't have YT back then. They had books with tips on how to play better. People would hang out in Barnes and Noble reading them. Then the internet came along and eventually YT where people could learn how to win.

Yesterday I was playing Donkey Kong 64 on the Steamdeck going through the beginning. I was playing along with a walk through which goes for 10 hours and the person gets every coin, every banana, doesn't lose a life, takes no damage, incredible. He recorded this on a PC running the Mupen64 emulator.
Donkey Kong 64 - Complete 101% Walkthrough - All Collectibles - No Damage (Longplay) - YouTube
Back then I would play a game for a while then get stuck and move on. It would probably take me 40 hours to go through DK64 with a walk through. I have to watch the video, get through that part, then come back and see what's next.

When you think about it, a game is nothing more than figuring out a challenge. Either pushing buttons or making movements in a certain way, or doing it faster and better than someone else. Most games have walk thrus or speed runs today. That's how I'm playing Doom Eternal on the PC, with a walk through and it's still hard even on easy. That's because the zombies come in waves all at once, and I run out of ammo and there's so many weapon combos to remember to kill each one.

Never change, you angel.

I would make a BR game with movement mechanics (Apex Legends but faster) and call it something like Heroes of Starsiege - then use elements from past tribes games - like Julia form T:V, characters with armor in the style of Tribes 1, etc

kind of weird to use the starsiege name for a looter shooter

I installed the Mame versions of Arkanoid, Arkanoid 2, Asteroids Deluxe, and Galaga on my steam deck. Both Arkanoid games play but it's kinda hard using a joystick. Would need to use a mouse, so it would probably be better on the PC.

I've also got a nice collection of N64 games working now. My hub and controller arrived. I'll try hooking the deck up to a monitor or TV using an HDMI cable, and play sitting on my couch with the extra controller.
Amazon.com: AKNES 8BitDo Pro 2 Bluetooth Wireless Controller for Switch / Switch OLED with 2pcs Silicone Joycon Thumb Grip Caps,Gamepads for Steam,MacOS,PC,Android Raspberry Pi(Clear/Transparent Purple Edition) : Video Games
Amazon.com: JSAUX Docking Station Compatible with Steam Deck, 7-in-1 Steam Deck Dock with 1000M Ethernet, 4K HDMI, USB 3.0, SD/TF, 100W USB C Charging Compatible with Valve Steam Deck, MacBook Pro/Air, iPad : Electronics

Last edited:
I installed the Mame versions of Arkanoid, Arkanoid 2, Asteroids Deluxe, and Galaga on my steam deck. Both Arkanoid games play but it's kinda hard using a joystick. Would need to use a mouse, so it would probably be better on the PC.

I've also got a nice collection of N64 games working now. My hub and controller arrived. I'll try hooking the deck up to a monitor or TV using an HDMI cable, and play sitting on my couch with the extra controller.
Amazon.com: AKNES 8BitDo Pro 2 Bluetooth Wireless Controller for Switch / Switch OLED with 2pcs Silicone Joycon Thumb Grip Caps,Gamepads for Steam,MacOS,PC,Android Raspberry Pi(Clear/Transparent Purple Edition) : Video Games
Amazon.com: JSAUX Docking Station Compatible with Steam Deck, 7-in-1 Steam Deck Dock with 1000M Ethernet, 4K HDMI, USB 3.0, SD/TF, 100W USB C Charging Compatible with Valve Steam Deck, MacBook Pro/Air, iPad : Electronics

This deserves it's own thread. GTFO of here and make a new thread for your emulation adventures

This deserves it's own thread. GTFO of here and make a new thread for your emulation adventures
Yeah, I should have posted all this in my thread. I'll transfer it all over there. The same thing happened when I built my computer. I should have put all that in my thread as well.

I went back and realized that on page 3 SINep was talking about how a new Tribes game would be great, then I posted the video about how most games fail. So even if they came out with the perfect Tribes game it's over.

Then Groove came in and said he's playing Arkanoid so I remembered I used to play it, went and found it for the Deck.

Ok, no problem.

First gameplay here: Twitch

Can’t imagine this having any sort of success but maybe I’m wrong - currently seems to have no sense of style - very generic. But it’s “pre alpha” so that could possibly change. Dude mentions “heavy spinfuser” as a weapon and seems surprised it shoots “explosive disks” <giant roll eyes> also at one point he seems to ski a little bit.

Edit: watched more of it, it’s the heavy spinfuser from Tribes Ascend. Streamer dude says the game is like “Tribes Ascend meets Escape from Tarkov”

Last edited:
Back