So...I found a dead dog in my backyard.

ferret

Veteran XX
A few minutes ago my gardener (he's legal, I can show you the papers) told me there was a dead dog in my backyard. I found this odd since I just locked up my 2 dogs (Dalmations) in the house 5 minutes previously.

I went outside there and found a dead Terrier. My best guess is that our dogs killed it when it snuck in, since they've killed everything from Raccoons to Cockatiels. They're nice dogs, but they lay waste to anything that enters the backyard but have never been vicious to a person or other dog.

I call animal control and find out that its the neighbors dog. At first I was going to tell them but then I reconsidered and told the shelter to pick it up. From my limited knowledge of my neighbors, there would probably major 'issues' if they knew what happened (even though the dog went into our backyard).

So now, it was 'hit' by a car a block away and animal control is picking it up.

Also TW lawyers, would I be liable at all for any of this? I mean, it is quite possible our dogs were attacked first.

if you are worried about how you can be held liable, you sort of compounded your problems by lying about what happened.

if you have limited knowledge of your neighbors, why make an assumption that there would be issues?

if it were my dog id want someone to tell me.

if you are worried about how you can be held liable, you sort of compounded your problems by lying about what happened.

Well I never said what happened, just where to pick it up...

I just said I found a dead dog, get it here.

I've also bleached the scene, and created an orgy of evidence to cover my tracks.

why didnt u just tell the truth?

it's not like u went to ur neighbor's house, picked up the dog, killed it, and then left it in ur backyard

If it's on your property, your neighbor can go fuck themselves. They are at fault for having an unleashed dog wandering around. Your dogs however are on their property and behind a fence.

why didnt u just tell the truth?

it's not like u went to ur neighbor's house, picked up the dog, killed it, and then left it in ur backyard

Listening to the amount of swear words over the loud spanish music, I'm going to guess they wont react to it reasonably. They'll be upset in the first place about losing their dog, this way I don't have to worry about how mature they will react to the situation.

I've had bad blood with neighbors growing up over a broken window, its something best to avoid.

Qw1Qt.jpg

I would have taken pictures of said dead dog and made "dog found" posters. posted them around the neighborhood. if someone were to call, say the dog was trespassing on your property and your attack dogs took care of it. also, send your condolences.

You could be liable for the cost of the dog.

Your dogs could also possibly be labeled as vicious. Which is giant pain in the ass ... so much so that most dogs labeled vicious are just put down by their owners because of cost.

So ughhh try not to tell anyone.

You're in luck because I did my thesis on vicious dog laws. :D

in a perfect world you wouldn't be liable for anything and the owners would understand it was their fault for their dog getting out

but we live in AMERICA! Where it's NEVER the moron's fault!

I probably would've done exactly what you did and I would feel bad about it but in the end it's just not worth all the bullshit that would probably come down on you for trying to do the right thing.

They would probably
A) try to sue you
B) try to harm your dogs for revenge
C) vandalize your property somehow

all before just taking responsibility

Last edited:
they may have a strong case in court against you if they find out the truth. An incident very similar to this happened to my grandmother when I was a kid. My aunt was at her house, with her 2 year old beast pitbull. Her upstairs neighbor's dog walked down the stairs towards the backyard and nudged my grandmothers door open. My aunts pit got up the moment she smelled the other dog and took off after it. She grabbed its head and crushed its skull.(this dog was maybe 20 pounds).

The owners of the dead dog sued my grandmother and tried to have my aunts pit put down. They almost lost if not for the fact that the neighbors dog was technically INSIDE of my grandmothers house and thats pretty much fair grounds for dogs 2 murder another dog.

Which is kind of similar to your case except for the fact that you are lying to cover what really happened. No matter how it gets spun or what the truth really is, you are automatically looking guilty having tried to cover it up and also by not going to the neighbors instantly and telling them what happened.

they may have a strong case in court against you if they find out the truth. An incident very similar to this happened to my grandmother when I was a kid. My aunt was at her house, with her 2 year old beast pitbull. Her upstairs neighbor's dog walked down the stairs towards the backyard and nudged my grandmothers door open. My aunts pit got up the moment she smelled the other dog and took off after it. She grabbed its head and crushed its skull.(this dog was maybe 20 pounds).

The owners of the dead dog sued my grandmother and tried to have my aunts pit put down. They almost lost if not for the fact that the neighbors dog was technically INSIDE of my grandmothers house and thats pretty much fair grounds for dogs 2 murder another dog.

Which is kind of similar to your case except for the fact that you are lying to cover what really happened. No matter how it gets spun or what the truth really is, you are automatically looking guilty having tried to cover it up and also by not going to the neighbors instantly and telling them what happened.

Lying about it now wont make him any more guilty in court and has the possibility of completely putting the situation to rest. I think any attorney would advise you to keep your mouth shut about the incident as well.

Back