Quake Champions - Debut Gameplay Trailer

yah classes really ruined games like those shit games tribes and tfc

i know you all are terrible @ videogames here but at least use a fraction of your brain

Having power-ups that are not geographically located on a map as a strategic known land mark, but are instead vastly different and assigned with a timer to each class is just chaotic. Like in Overwatch, same for random appearing power-ups in SW Battlefront. Chaos.

It's just a way to throw random excitement/advantage to crap players so they get the feels and stay on. Learning to 'hold' the quad damage, or learning to 'control' the power armour and the cells on a map is strategy.

Also, the continual move to towards these game modes where "OK, we defend (camp) now, and these fags will come free the hostages to conclude round" is ghey.

Best team play has been symmetrical CTF type map games. Unless you looking for something like Rocket Arena. Sure put together a team of 6 for rocket arena. If you want to do it big, you want 16 v 16 CTF symmetrical type games.

Even BF with it's capture and hold type model, misses that quality.

That quality is shared in games like Soccer, Basketball, Hockey, Football, cause it works for team games really well.

Shit, imagine going back to play quake TDM/DM/CTF and instead of fighting over the Quad, I just pick my load out, then in the match everyone's favourite power-up is going off unexpectedly. That's shit for quality team ladder play, regardless how many they get to go in their comps. Fuck em all.

Games to do it, but overwatch goes to far with it. The 'range' it just too much. The power ups / class differences are way too variant.

Consider tribes. As a heavy my mortar fires on a timer, but I'm not turning into mech warrior 2 monster after 5 kills like Skyfall. It's a gimmick and it wears off quick if you into complex team play.

Battlefield, I can be antitank and blow up tanks, but I don't run around and randomly find a power up that turns me into darth fucking vader. If that vader powerup was in a known location, and was not 6 scattered about randomly changing, it might make work better for higher end strategic team play. Instead chaos.

In Jedi Knicht 2 CTF, the game worked. You could pick two powerups from about 8 or 10, but it worked on symmetrical CTF maps really well, particularly saber only mode to reduce the 'range' in variance in classes. Some defenders, some attackers.

Classes need to be balanced. So I'm in Starcraft and walk up to the power up and it turns my 5 terrans into something like an unexpected 'natural catastrophe' like Sim City. While the other 3 players are doing something just as overpowered and unpredictable.

Ruins strategy, turns it into a luck of the draw, chaotic shoot out.

Last edited:
reflex actually keeps getting bigger but its moving at a freight train up a hill pace

if it gets more momentum its gonna get bigger and bigger up until official hard release (and marketing)

reflex seems to be picking off a lot of the more hardcore comp players that weren't satisfied with ow or tf2 cs:go scenes and want to try something new

this quake game looks like a potential big miss like Doom multiplay vs due to the champions

yeah i just dont think it has spectator appeal.
casuals, specs, they want shit that they can hold onto.
faceless humanoid figures running around in purely functional spaces doesn't really do that.

reflex seems like a game for players, not viewers.
which is fine. the pendulum will swing the other way and in the meantime itll have a strong dedicated following that'll grow slowly i'm sure.

i think the opposite

eye candy games r for consumers

real esports r for sports spectators and fans

"esports" caters a lot to the ignoramus shut in so this gets often confused etc

Anarchy, a character on a hoverboard, is even faster than the already speedy Quake characters at the expense of armor and health.

consider game ruined

god damn bethesda turned quake into tf2 LOL

i think the opposite

eye candy games r for consumers

real esports r for sports spectators and fans

"esports" caters a lot to the ignoramus shut in so this gets often confused etc

i can sort of agree with that.
what i mean is there are a lot more casual people and they actually drive those numbers.

you need things for viewers to latch onto. specs of games aren't quite like specs of real sports. because games are fictional and often have fictional settings/rules. because of that you get a lottttt more people sideways who aren't directly interested in the part which is competitive. they end up interested in that because of the stuff surrounding it.

i know from first hand experience watching it happen in real time over the last decade with street fighter.

Having power-ups that are not geographically located on a map as a strategic known land mark, but are instead vastly different and assigned with a timer to each class is just chaotic. Like in Overwatch, same for random appearing power-ups in SW Battlefront. Chaos.

It's just a way to throw random excitement/advantage to crap players so they get the feels and stay on. Learning to 'hold' the quad damage, or learning to 'control' the power armour and the cells on a map is strategy.

Also, the continual move to towards these game modes where "OK, we defend (camp) now, and these fags will come free the hostages to conclude round" is ghey.

Best team play has been symmetrical CTF type map games. Unless you looking for something like Rocket Arena. Sure put together a team of 6 for rocket arena. If you want to do it big, you want 16 v 16 CTF symmetrical type games.

Even BF with it's capture and hold type model, misses that quality.

That quality is shared in games like Soccer, Basketball, Hockey, Football, cause it works for team games really well.

Shit, imagine going back to play quake TDM/DM/CTF and instead of fighting over the Quad, I just pick my load out, then in the match everyone's favourite power-up is going off unexpectedly. That's shit for quality team ladder play, regardless how many they get to go in their comps. Fuck em all.

Games to do it, but overwatch goes to far with it. The 'range' it just too much. The power ups / class differences are way too variant.

Consider tribes. As a heavy my mortar fires on a timer, but I'm not turning into mech warrior 2 monster after 5 kills like Skyfall. It's a gimmick and it wears off quick if you into complex team play.

Battlefield, I can be antitank and blow up tanks, but I don't run around and randomly find a power up that turns me into darth fucking vader. If that vader powerup was in a known location, and was not 6 scattered about randomly changing, it might make work better for higher end strategic team play. Instead chaos.

In Jedi Knicht 2 CTF, the game worked. You could pick two powerups from about 8 or 10, but it worked on symmetrical CTF maps really well, particularly saber only mode to reduce the 'range' in variance in classes. Some defenders, some attackers.

Classes need to be balanced. So I'm in Starcraft and walk up to the power up and it turns my 5 terrans into something like an unexpected 'natural catastrophe' like Sim City. While the other 3 players are doing something just as overpowered and unpredictable.

Ruins strategy, turns it into a luck of the draw, chaotic shoot out.
and after all of this, envyus is on a 50+ series win streak in overwatch

i can sort of agree with that.
what i mean is there are a lot more casual people and they actually drive those numbers.

you need things for viewers to latch onto. specs of games aren't quite like specs of real sports. because games are fictional and often have fictional settings/rules. because of that you get a lottttt more people sideways who aren't directly interested in the part which is competitive. they end up interested in that because of the stuff surrounding it.

i know from first hand experience watching it happen in real time over the last decade with street fighter.

the whole aspect of deving esports in 2016 is controversial in general

i mean we have people in t.o. bidding for esports bars at young and bloor/the annex/etc (gaming cafe + booze - like the movie hack3rs any1?)

i think this is where doods like fishstix, rayn, lowtax, etc come in and just authorize the social norm

for many of us esports r sports

FPS siege,ctf,duel,tdm, 2d fighting games, pick ur fav and follow it.

right now i think is the year of the siege gametype becuz of ow/quake champions/paladins/etc all being released with it as a focus

personally i hope ctf duel and arena make big come backs and trends point to that being very possible

ya i really love duel as a thing in fps.

and while i appreciate quake and reflex style dueling, it's nothing like tribes style.

tribes style is closest to like fencing imo. where just a few hits kill you, but landing a solid hit takes considerable skill. and due to the way movement and projectiles work with momentum in relatively open spaces, you can capitalize on commitment in ways that are immediately apparent.

it's really awesome. nothing compares. i hope midair really develops dueling as a thing. i'd love to see it really pushed.

i remember asking about shootmania and ppl here were mostly like 'it sucks' but i actually loved dueling in shootmania. wall jumping + shooting opponents projectiles + jump/run limitations and shit. was awesome. just no real US community :<

LT as a format isnt in fact unique to tribes

and quake has had a movement in the past to standardized to the rocket/grenade/plasma loadout before for things like ctf :p

i think that weapon combo produces some really interesting combat for spectators and ur totally right about it not being appreciated enough in tribes

its more the style of movement + maps in quake for me.

i just find it very claustrophobic.
maybe for city ppl it feels normal hehe

tribes is like olympic archery. you have plenty of time but can you make the shot? due to the speeds of both players and the open space in tribes which makes it hard to visually tell how fast and in what direction someone is moving, it's just diff.

it's all good tho. i just don't have the soul for some of the weps in quake.
i got to 208 in devil daggers. i think i can break 300 with some practice.

i think CPMA/LT are more like hockey and thats why i follow them but aside from that i can totally get how these are extremely niche games

the concept of esports is still niche. most media post gamergate still makes fun of or demonizes the whole scene

and after all of this, envyus is on a 50+ series win streak in overwatch

With 6 (or 8) player teams.

We had solid 16 v 16 ladders in tribes and battlefield with 15+ teams in AU / NZ with less than 25 million population. The larger numbers in a team, the more accommodating a game is to people of a wider skill range, like noobs, so the game can snowball more in popularity. Poor johnny who can't frag doesn't get wiped and give up so early, stays on and the game builds numbers. I've duelled some of my countries best in Q1 and Q2 and if you not technically skilled, it's not very enjoyable, chances of staying at it is lower for noobs. Duel is great to attract the highest level individual players.

So these larger number games are easier to essentially attract numbers, and the noobs get better, and the matches are fun, and the community huge, and.. more stable. Like a planet forming in a solar system. With large teams there is less disruption when 1 or 2 members get poached, so clans are more stable. Infrastructure is better. Whole thing is less chaotic.

its more the style of movement + maps in quake for me.

i just find it very claustrophobic.
maybe for city ppl it feels normal hehe

tribes is like olympic archery. you have plenty of time but can you make the shot? due to the speeds of both players and the open space in tribes which makes it hard to visually tell how fast and in what direction someone is moving, it's just diff.

it's all good tho. i just don't have the soul for some of the weps in quake.
i got to 208 in devil daggers. i think i can break 300 with some practice.

Quake is a corridor shooter, faster paced, and unforgiving. It's pretty aggressive and you become predictive with calibrated 'flicks' as you continually scoot around corners. Tracking in tribes is slower and more calculated. Quake you are using more 'fast twitch' muscle control, and a developing paranoid instinct that as you pass/round a corner the opponent may be in a certain spot that you have calculated as you mentally track where he/they are. Tribes you can see them from a distance and think things over. You wont have enemy hud markers in quake.

Quake is like playing 3D First person Packman (with no map). Tribes and Battlefield is like FPS tabletop war game.

I'd put Battlefront, Over-watch and this Champions in the Packman category too. Depends if you prefer playing Packman / Pinball Machine or Age of Empires / Warcraft I guess.

Last edited:
no

tribes is like playing guitar on ed sullivan show in 1964

other games are like tabletop war games

u will die alone as an eternal virgin if u play the other games
u will have infinite groupies if u play tribes

big finals match between rapha and evil that went 28 minutes in OT on the 2nd map now 1-1 in finals (dis is big)

Twitch

anything but silent

hes srsly like the only reviewer i trust at the moment.... every1 else is a fuckin sellout that gives 10/10 for every AAA puddle of bantha piss

really because i feel like most independent reviewers are overly negative so they aren't seen as jumping on the bandwagon

unless you're talking about the big companies like IGN or something, where they definitely are biased in their reviews. Either via money, networking (personally knowing the devs etc) or being afraid that the devs won't grant them media access in the future if they are negative

[01:19] <@japes> Quake Champions - YouTube
[01:19] <@japes> definitely cpma style movement i guess

[1:19 AM] Beardy: so characters do have independent health values
[1:19 AM] Beardy: 4:20

[1:47 AM] noctis: necro, rapha, carnage, zero4 me vs fatality, killsen, psygib, evil, draqu

[1:19 AM] JP: they publicly talk about the new mode they showed off stream yet?
[1:20 AM] JP: it's actually a lot like Destiny's control mode
[1:20 AM] JP: basically TDM, but having control of points gives you a multiplier for your kills
[1:21 AM] JP: 1 pt per kill w/o any, 2 with one control point, 3 with both
[1:21 AM] JP: they talked about quad damage being a "third" point (not figuring into score, but just being another big part of map control)(edited)
[1:21 AM] seekax: so it's conquest from BF
[1:21 AM] seekax: but instead of draining tickets you get more points for kills
[1:22 AM] JP: yeah, which is basically how Control works in Destiny

Last edited:
really because i feel like most independent reviewers are overly negative so they aren't seen as jumping on the bandwagon

unless you're talking about the big companies like IGN or something, where they definitely are biased in their reviews. Either via money, networking (personally knowing the devs etc) or being afraid that the devs won't grant them media access in the future if they are negative

nah even the small time reviewers are corrupted... cuz theyre poor... so the big game cos easily bribe them for nothing. IGN ofc is alot more expensive... and if u only pay off the big guys, itll make shit look suspicious if the small timers are saying the opposite... so u gotta bribe every1.

go ahead and see for yourself... google someone, say angry joe add a keyword like "sellout"

Last edited:
Back