Ok losers, time to make yourselves useful (gaming PCs)

Look who this thread was started by. Never tell an idiot to build a PC. That's terrible advice.

Direct him to a pre-built company and he walks away with a working device, warranty, and tech support.

You sound like a a clueless fucking dinosaur.

Shut the fuck up with your idiotic 90's slogans for Intel-hat wearing kids.

Look who this thread was started by. Never tell an idiot to build a PC. That's terrible advice.

Direct him to a pre-built company and he walks away with a working device, warranty, and tech support.
Pew pew

It’s just an advice thread, everyone here is allowed to full blown sewer their least favourite brand. I’m a big boy, I’ll make up my own mind in the end.

i can't comprehend anyone who would buy intel for a gaming pc. My 6700K, especially when I delidded it and OCd it, lasted 7 years. But that was when intel was strong and amd was weak

Since the Ryzen 3rd gen, AMD has been owning Intel on all fronts. Especially for gaming. Get a 7800x3d, make sure the mobo bios is fully updated, and you are good. The AMD5 platform will last for several generations. The only Intel cpu that can match the 7800x3d is the recently released 14900KS. It cost several hundred dollars more and my god the power and heat.

GPU is whatever $300-500 you want to spend. 1440 is the sweet spot so anything in that range is good. AMD or Nvidia, it doesnt matter. raytracing is a joke
Ding.

p.s. 1440p only matters if you have a monitor with that native resolution. And picking a quality gaming monitor is a whole other topic.

AMD is ok if you want cheap, and fast while sacrificing stability.

i wasn't talking about the CPU, and if you are, you're WAY wrong, i would rather have an AMD cpu than an intel, intel sucks now.

i was talking about the GPU/Graphics card. While AMD cpus are awesome, their GPUs don't compare to Nvidia and they aren't supported as often as Nvidia cards in games (DLSS, GSync, etc)

i highly recommend you go nvidia rather than amd.

Me too. You could look into a 30 series card to start with and then upgrade to a 50 series card when they release for a real increase.

And i'd also recommend getting the AMD 7800x3d CPU for exact the same reasons Rev_Night stated.

While AMD cpus are awesome, their GPUs don't compare to Nvidia and they aren't supported as often as Nvidia cards in games (DLSS, GSync, etc)

This is a very rare occasion of havax spittin' fax.

You sound like a a clueless fucking dinosaur.

Shut the fuck up with your idiotic 90's slogans for Intel-hat wearing kids.

Intel processors dominate server environments where stability is a requirement. Amd has like 30% of the market, intel rules with almost 70%. And thats of hardware being bought, not whats already in places where without question Intel is king. If amd's were truly more powerful AND more stable than Intel, then their lower price would have them ruling in datacenters across the planet.
But they dont.

Amd's can be overclocked easier and be faster, but amd processors and boards tend to be a bit picky about memory and the more you overclock the more that pickyness shows itself and generally leads to errors, lockups, bsod. For a gaming machine, if you do all the required research and spend the money for quality memory and mobos, amd's can be beast machines. But if you dont feel like doing that extra research or spending that extra money and just want to buy good parts, put it together, push the button and go without having to fuck with tweaking bios settings to find your happy place, then its not even a discussion. Its Intel.

i wasn't talking about the CPU, and if you are, you're WAY wrong, i would rather have an AMD cpu than an intel, intel sucks now.

i was talking about the GPU/Graphics card. While AMD cpus are awesome, their GPUs don't compare to Nvidia and they aren't supported as often as Nvidia cards in games (DLSS, GSync, etc)

if you're talking about GPUs Nvidia is the big dog. I have also had very good experience with PNY. They still use nvidia chips architecture, but the rest of the card is PNY

I use a local shop full of Chinese people who specialize in gaming rigs. Their website has lots of prebuilds and it arrives in boxes and I just plug it all in and off we go. I love it. I'm all intel and NVidia.

On the GPU front, I have a reference 7900xtx. It does 1440 perfectly at Max settings all around. The Adrenaline driver is fine, but it does it wonky when you try mess with the clocks or voltages.

Nvidia owns the gpu market yes, and DLSS is superior to FSR, but make no mistake: there is little difference between the company's products. DLSS 3.0 frame gen is not a silver bullet, and no upscaling should ever be relied upon. Traditional raster performance (non upscaled, non raytracing) should still be the primary driver for all decision making.

Ignore the fan boys, be as vendor agnostic as you can be. Even with CPUs, AMD is the winner now, but cycles happen. I remember when AMD was the shit when amd64 dropped then it turned into utter dogshit with bulldozer/piledriver/etc..

As for a gpu recommendation, I'm a huge huge fan of TechPowerUp. In every review, they compare the current gpu (or cpu) against all other gpus and they normalize the results. They then also do performance by dollar to factor in price. The result? Look at this:

TechPowerUp

performance-per-dollar-2560-1440.png

What do you see? You see that, by MSRP, the best value cards in your price range are the 3070TI and 3080.

That's just as MSRP. I'm also a huge poster on the [H]ardOCP forums. The FS/FT forum always has high quality, low price GPUs for sale. And they are honest and tell you if they have been mined on.

For example, a 3080 on ebay can get $450-500. On that forum, I see one right now for $385. Thats a far better value than any other card you can get right now. Box and support bracket are said to be included.

you're welcome OP

traditionally in these types of build threads, I do a post or 2 of knowledge then I leave. I can only do so much

Screen_Shot_2019-11-14_at_12.59.03_PM.jpg

Thanks for helping our pedo build a new computer so he can handle more children's photos!

Good work guys!

Maybe you guys could recommend him a good VPN and alternative storage methods too!

Back