Ok losers, time to make yourselves useful (gaming PCs)

Is that including the time it takes to beatthelivingshit out of the computer for not powering on ala Skip

As for the PC, for that budget any 13700k intel or the similarly priced AMD equivalent plus a 4070 will give you what you need.

CPUs will last longer than the GPU it is true.

i miss skip so fucking much. i hope he is in heaven breaking someones racing steering wheel.

you are correct. I changed it. So the parts are about 400 cheaper, then ou have to factor in shipping.

They are the exact same with the exception of the motherboard. The asus is a far superior board made for gaming/streaming

So you'll probably save about $200 or so and wait for the parts to come in one at a time.

Not worth it imho

i like how you picked the most expensive 3080 you could find in the self-build to compare to a prebuilt.

i guarantee you the prebuilt is going to give you the cheapest shit they can find.

so put this one in the self-build: https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-Gaming-Epic-X-Graphics/dp/B0CGXS2CYG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=16TUVF1OQH98J&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.EuAgtYKOAPhefzEInJEi5X8zCTnWHb7n9wriDNTgSJqGjtl36p2cWEwt0KhP29gz0HGJaBA5jpSztaYmSS7Qcvy1qu0JX-az5Umhwti4aMJjpG4Sfu1vIkUo67iE_73KueietA-5cWZulKFGxw5OeM8pqfsm3bzpd9cU0R-c_8ZCDs6HS34KXdvjokTxoLqrQrBR4eL7aWKpxz3htQthq_Q6WFlSUWrDPJvOapamnrc.SaPbOhljg62OtV4uDgFVAC9DsmZBsXJrfbjhEO3Un_U&dib_tag=se&keywords=3080+graphics+card&qid=1710892953&sprefix=3080+graphics+card%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-1

there, that's almost 400 dollars off. worth it to build.

can you ladies stop having your periods over whether it's worth to buy prebuilt?

I just wanna know what parts to get, let me worry about who puts it together

i can't comprehend anyone who would buy intel for a gaming pc. My 6700K, especially when I delidded it and OCd it, lasted 7 years. But that was when intel was strong and amd was weak

Since the Ryzen 3rd gen, AMD has been owning Intel on all fronts. Especially for gaming. Get a 7800x3d, make sure the mobo bios is fully updated, and you are good. The AMD5 platform will last for several generations. The only Intel cpu that can match the 7800x3d is the recently released 14900KS. It cost several hundred dollars more and my god the power and heat.

GPU is whatever $300-500 you want to spend. 1440 is the sweet spot so anything in that range is good. AMD or Nvidia, it doesnt matter. raytracing is a joke

can you ladies stop having your periods over whether it's worth to buy prebuilt?

I just wanna know what parts to get, let me worry about who puts it together

So get to doing your research, thats one of the 'benefits' of building it yourself!

thred triggered by release of kiddy diddler HD 4k remaster
happy is still here 😂

Wow the nostalgia of no fog and that giant happy faced flag.

Thanks everyone for the fantastic opinions, love the debates. I probably have a preference to build a box myself just for the sake of entertainment. What kind of hardware do you need for a virtual reality headset, or is it the same specs for monitors? What do you feel is a healthy budget? Any opinions on desks and chairs? Sim gear?

happy is still here ��

Wow the nostalgia of no fog and that giant happy faced flag.

Thanks everyone for the fantastic opinions, love the debates. I probably have a preference to build a box myself just for the sake of entertainment. What kind of hardware do you need for a virtual reality headset, or is it the same specs for monitors? What do you feel is a healthy budget? Any opinions on desks and chairs? Sim gear?

since it sounds like you are keen on VR, you can actually do a solution that doesn't require a PC

the Quest 2 and Quest 3 headsets (which lots of TWers own, not me though), work standalone, wirelessly, and have lots of really cool games to check out

I have a ps5 and use the psvr2 headset which is pretty nice for the plug and play aspect (and games like Resident Evil 4 remake, which blow away anything on any other headset atm)

you can get a beast PC and link that up to a Quest or other VR headset for even more high powered games, but at this point I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze, personally

some clips of fun VR games:.

edit: sim gear we have a whole other thread...me and a few others are into driving and flight sims

since it sounds like you are keen on VR, you can actually do a solution that doesn't require a PC

the Quest 2 and Quest 3 headsets (which lots of TWers own, not me though), work standalone, wirelessly, and have lots of really cool games to check out

I have a ps5 and use the psvr2 headset which is pretty nice for the plug and play aspect (and games like Resident Evil 4 remake, which blow away anything on any other headset atm)

you can get a beast PC and link that up to a Quest or other VR headset for even more high powered games, but at this point I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze, personally

some clips of fun VR games:.

edit: sim gear we have a whole other thread...me and a few others are into driving and flight sims

This is all good stuff. I’m specifically interested in DCS, lots of industry people play the game.

Not sure on what kind of racing sim, but something realistic. I can’t drive the toy around the mountains at 120mph all the time, and if I was and a deer jumped out in front of me it wouldn’t end well, and I find the track difficult to organize, so I feel like a sim might be a consistent alternative where I can work on my skills without killing anyone or going to jail.

I have a passing interest in Tribes 3, but I doubt it’s going to become the production for me that it was when I was 18.

I purchased Baldur’s gate for my tablet and then broke it, I loved the other pair.

if DCS is your thing you would want a beast PC and a powerful headset like a PIMAX maybe

$$$$ but you could end up with an awesome setup

driving sims there is a pretty wide range between casual (Forza, Truck Simulator), all the way to so competitive that the current F1 world champ spends all his free time there (iRacing)

if you want to do both, you'll ideally plan a rig that can fit both a HOTAS for flight sims and wheel/pedals for driving...something like this (not my pic)

RDT-20230715-0955004845359420183244069.webp

I’ll keep my eyes peeled on marketplace for that stuff. I see it fairly frequently. I’ll build my own PC I suppose.

ok how about this

ASUS B650 series mobo
Ryzen 5 7600X
Corsair 2x16GB 6400MHz RAM
AMD RX 7800XT

I know that 32GB RAM is probably overkill right now, but it's not super expensive, paying a little extra for 6400MHz speed seems like a good idea, and the machine will probably age into 32GB anyway.

ok how about this

ASUS B650 series mobo
Ryzen 5 7600X
AMD RX 7800XT

I know that 32GB RAM is probably overkill right now, but it's not super expensive, paying a little extra for 6400MHz speed seems like a good idea, and the machine will probably age into 32GB anyway.

Can you imagine if all of the brain power in this forum focused and agreed on a single task for a few moments, the power that could be unleashed?
I’ll look that stuff up. Thanks!

ok how about this

ASUS B650 series mobo
Ryzen 5 7600X
AMD RX 7800XT

i highly recommend you go nvidia rather than amd.

amd is trash, i deal with it from a dev perpsective on a daily basis

all hail our nvidia overlords :heart:

Back