Ok losers, time to make yourselves useful (gaming PCs)

Amadeus

Whiner
Veteran XX
I've been out of the loop for ages.

If I want to build a new gaming PC with the intent of keeping the mobo/CPU for the next 6-8 years, with a few RAM and GFX upgrades along the way, what do I get?

Let's say my budget is $1500-2000, and I'm aiming for mid-high graphics at 1440p.

I dunno. But 4070ti seems like the correct value proposition at this moment. 50 series are around the corner tho.

I have been pondering the same.
I’d like to run DCS and maybe a racing sim, tribes 3 perhaps, maybe virtual reality headset?

It kind of depends on what you want personally.

Do you want an intel or an amd cpu?

Do you want an nvidia or an amd GPU?

I'm running an AMD 5900x build with a nvidia 3080 which I am very happy with. But that's already older stuff. I'd wait until the 50 series are out to be honest.. since the 40 series haven't been such a massive leap over the 30 series. I haven't really been keeping track so I don't know if new cpu's are around the corner either.

I just bought a used 3080ti because it didn't make sense to jump into the 40s

It kind of depends on what you want personally.

Do you want an intel or an amd cpu?

Do you want an nvidia or an amd GPU?

I'm running an AMD 5900x build with a nvidia 3080 which I am very happy with. But that's already older stuff. I'd wait until the 50 series are out to be honest.. since the 40 series haven't been such a massive leap over the 30 series. I haven't really been keeping track so I don't know if new cpu's are around the corner either.
idgaf about intel/nvidia vs amd, whatever works best

and new video cards are always stupid low value compared to 1-2 series ago

gimme a nice mid-high range card now, and I'll buy the super fancy cards that are about to come out a couple years from now for half the price

Really at this point, why build when there are a lot of premade units out there that come with all you want and building one only saves you very little money but you'll still spend hours of your time building hardware and installing software.

I have been pondering the same.
I’d like to run DCS and maybe a racing sim, tribes 3 perhaps, maybe virtual reality headset?

VR is great but all depends on what you want to play. Not so much for FPS but racing/flying it is great

it takes like 30 min to build a pc wtf

Is that including the time it takes to beatthelivingshit out of the computer for not powering on ala Skip

As for the PC, for that budget any 13700k intel or the similarly priced AMD equivalent plus a 4070 will give you what you need.

CPUs will last longer than the GPU it is true.

it takes like 30 min to build a pc wtf

and then it has to be loaded, patched, updated. And thats after you have to wait for the parts to be delivered, hopefully ALL the parts are in stock, and your parts dont end up taking the longest route possible to get to you, etc.

If you just really like building pc's, then yeah, i suppose its ok. But in the grand scheme of things, im my opinion the minor amount of money you may save by building your own, isn't really worth it with the selection of quality prebuilts out there.

Someone who never builds PCs isn't gonna take 30 mins to build one. You gotta factor research and acquiring all the parts, forgetting shit and having to go the store for it, loading Windows and all the associated fuckery etc. Just saying.

Someone who never builds PCs isn't gonna take 30 mins to build one. You gotta factor research and acquiring all the parts, forgetting shit and having to go the store for it, loading Windows and all the associated fuckery etc. Just saying.

with m.2 ssds, loading windows 11 takes like 3 minutes now and you can get it on g2a.com for 20 bucks gg

then install steam and your favorite browser and you're done. :shrug:

I'm guessing we're talking about a solid gaming machine that will last a while.

[url="https://www.newegg.com/acer-po7-640-ur11-predator-orion-5000/p/N82E16883101860[/url]
Acer Gaming Desktop Predator Orion 7000 PO7-640-UR11
Intel Core i7 12th Gen 12700K (3.60GHz)
32GB DDR5
2TB HDD
1 TB PCIe SSD
GeForce RTX 3080
Windows 11 Home 64-bit
kb/mouse

Asus Predator
$2,529.00 without monitor (newegg) before shipping.

I just did a quick sweep of the cheapest parts the internet showed.

Individual parts
13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF 24-Core - $509.98 (newegg)
PNY GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB XLR8 Gaming UPRISING EPIC-X RGB™ Triple Fan Graphics Card - $679 amazon
1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD - $99 - amazon
2TB 7200RPM SATA III HDD $115 - amazon
32GB DDR5-4400 Memory $134 - amazon
comparable motherboard - $150 - neweg/amazon
Case - $150 (depending on how nice you want it. Can get a case for as low as $100 that looks fairly decent we'll call it $125) - best buy
logitech wireless kb mouse combo $25
windows 11 pro - $80

$2041.98 before shipping

Once you build this, still have to load the O.S., but that will be fairly fast, then need to patch and update drivers and the O.S.

Parts are about $400 cheaper

Now if you want to spend even more of your time, you might be able to bring that down with used/refurbished or from websites you have never heard of, im sure that will work out just fine though right?.

Its cheaper to buy than build. This isn't the 90's any longer. There are 1000's of prebuilt manufacturers out there all trying to undercut everyone else. If you're building it now, its because you like building, not because you're saving money.

I'm guessing we're talking about a solid gaming machine that will last a while.

[url="https://www.newegg.com/acer-po7-640-ur11-predator-orion-5000/p/N82E16883101860[/url]
Acer Gaming Desktop Predator Orion 7000 PO7-640-UR11
Intel Core i7 12th Gen 12700K (3.60GHz)
32GB DDR5
2TB HDD
1 TB PCIe SSD
GeForce RTX 3080
Windows 11 Home 64-bit
kb/mouse

Asus Predator
$2,529.00 without monitor (newegg) before shipping.

I just did a quick sweep of the cheapest parts the internet showed.

Individual parts
13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF 24-Core - $509.98 (newegg)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR5 0 $1939 - newegg
1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD - $99 - amazon
2TB 7200RPM SATA III HDD $115 - amazon
32GB DDR5-4400 Memory $134 - amazon
comparable motherboard - $150 - neweg/amazon
Case - $150 (depending on how nice you want it. Can get a case for as low as $100 that looks fairly decent we'll call it $125) - best buy
logitech wireless kb mouse combo $25
windows 11 pro - $80

$3,211.98 before shipping

Once you build this, still have to load the O.S., but that will be fairly fast, then need to patch and update drivers and the O.S.

Prebuilt is $682.98 cheaper and that will buy a nice big monitor, or a couple really decent smaller monitors.

Now if you want to spend even more of your time, you might be able to bring that down with used/refurbished or from websites you have never heard of, im sure that will work out just fine though right?.

Its cheaper to buy than build. This isn't the 90's any longer. There are 1000's of prebuilt manufacturers out there all trying to undercut everyone else. If you're building it now, its because you like building, not because you're saving money.

You're kidding with this, right?

those two computers aren't even REMOTELY the same thing.

one has a 3080, one has a 4090. the cpus are totally different too. wtf?

the self-build computer is WAY better than the prebuilt one.

Intel FTW.

13th gen i5 is faster than 12th gen i7, 14th gen is slightly faster and mostly a refresh of the 13th gen. They all fit in the same socket.

13th gen is the most cost effective, I expect 15th gen will be a new socket.

I went through this shit over the summer of 2022
Costco comboobr vs gfx card prices lol by Plasmatic - Page 4 - TribalWar Forums

[noparse]TL:DR[/noparse]
[so] I hadn't upgraded anything for some time, and things were getting bad. My last major pc build was 2011.
Ridicule my computer by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
It was time to upgrade but graphics card prices were still ridiculous September of 2021. I bought a laptop, returned it and bought a better one with a 3050ti GPU
Labtops 2021 by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums

The prices on the Dell XPS slid down enough that I bought one. While I had it I pulled the video card and tried it in the old system.

The new Dell XPS wasn't a huge improvement over the 11 year old system and GPU prices were creeping down so I went another direction. I would either gut another new GPU or build a new system.

June 2022 GPU prices fell enough, and inflation hadn't kicked in, so I bought a 3080ti for $1,049.

The same card dropped below $1k a few weeks later, but is now (october 24th 2022) $1,349

I managed to wedge the new card into the old case/ computer.

I bought another case and moved parts over

This was better than the new Dell XPS, but I knew the GPU was severely bottlenecking through the old mobo, cpu and memory,

I found a few deals during prime days:
Amazon Prime days by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
and built another computer.
Costco comboobr vs gfx card prices lol by Plasmatic - Page 4 - TribalWar Forums

Periphery stuff:
Mouse thread for those cursed with big hands by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
Do you even keyboard by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
Is this the best gaming monitor? by Flash - TribalWar Forums
Computer speakers? by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
Your desks, show them to me by Plasmatic - TribalWar Forums
Manly **** by Brasstax - Page 8 - TribalWar Forums

You're kidding with this, right?

those two computers aren't even REMOTELY the same thing.

one has a 3080, one has a 4090. the cpus are totally different too. wtf?

the self-build computer is WAY better than the prebuilt one.

you are correct. I changed it. So the parts are about 400 cheaper, then ou have to factor in shipping.

They are the exact same with the exception of the motherboard. The asus is a far superior board made for gaming/streaming

So you'll probably save about $200 or so and wait for the parts to come in one at a time.

Not worth it imho

Back