[Kurayami] Syrian (Russian) new Fighters...

couldn't answer the stealth/radar question with any authority myself, it'd be pure guesswork. The 22 really isn't an especially stealthy aircraft though. A stealthier option was available, but for some strange reason, someone thought that extra maneuverability via vectored thrust was better than extra stealth via concealed exhausts. (IE: YF-23 was a better choice. IMO :))

Curious, and it makes sense in relation to everything else. Suppose it's concealed until vector thrust actually makes a difference (though that is rather simple). Pity it's so hard to find out some of the more secretive information. Thanks :)

Wonder if there are any wargames between a mig35 and a f22 >)

I think that with the state of AA missiles these days, there's really very little need to get a six-o'clock position on your enemy, and the advantages of superior maneuverability are significantly less than they were in the days of gunfire and 'up the tailpipe' IR seekers. Having people not even know your there seems far more advantageous than being able to turn around in a hurry.

But that's just me.

The MiG-31 has a very large (compared to other aircrafts) radar signature.
And the version the Russians sold Syria is a 'dumbed down' version technology wise.

Is it possible that the russians kind of pulled one over on the syrians? It almost sounds like the syrians came to the russians and said 'we need a big new generation fighter'...and the russians said 'well...tell ya what i'm gonna do'..

The article says they got 5 of 'em.. and they already have a fair number of Mig-25s, of which this is essentially the updated version. Yes, it has a big radar profile, which has a lot to do with the fact that it's an enormous freakin' plane.

Syria does also operate the Mig-29 and SU-27 anyway, but again only in pretty small numbers (a squadron of each, from the looks of it). The bulk of the force is made up of older planes.

And no, I'm not pretending to know this stuff:
Syria - Syrian Arab Air Force

Back