How fast do you go on the highway?

I'd say your chances of dying without seatbelts are a lot higher at 90 than at 60

The question is, do people put themselves at a higher risk by driving faster/more careless because they feel safer with an airbag?

I would hope not. I've received an airbag to the face before in a car going 20-30mph, and it ain't fun.

+10 over. I try not to push it unless the road is wide open, driving a sports car and driving fast is just asking for a ticket. Couple months ago I got pulled over for doing 63 in 45... No ticket though, just a warning :)

edit: airbag = no thanks, seatbelt = must have

in good conditions, 10-20 kph over on regular highway, 20-30kph over on toll highway. typically that just means going with the flow of traffic and i don't really stand out from the rest of the cars.

i only go on the highway a few times a month and have never been pulled over

fun fact: in ontario 50km/h over means roadside vehicle impoundment and license suspension with a minimum fine of $2k and 7 demerit points (insurance skyrocketing, have to go interview with the ministry)

Last edited:
in good conditions, 10-20 kph over on regular highway, 20-30kph over on toll highway. typically that just means going with the flow of traffic.

i only go on the highway a few times a month and i've never been pulled over

fun fact: in ontario 50km/h over means roadside vehicle impoundment and license suspension with a minimum fine of $2k

I had a cop knock me down to 49 over on the 407 once before (speed trap, I pulled over when waived down), I didn't realize what a favour he did for me at the time.

yeah that was nice of him

i never zoom past traffic on the highway and i've seen people in front of me doing the same speed get pulled over on the 407

also i would never drive without a seatbelt, even if i'm moving from one parking spot to another. if i had a car without seatbelts i would not speed. if i was not aware of the idea of seatbelts (think plato's cave) then i would probably still speed.

I had a cop knock me down to 49 over on the 407 once before (speed trap, I pulled over when waived down), I didn't realize what a favour he did for me at the time.

i've pulled myself over twice and got out of the ticket both times.

70 limit I usually go 75 to 80 during the day. at night I go 70 because its tough to see cops parked on the side of the road ahead of you in the dark

I used to give 14 before stopping someone in most cases. I ran instant on radar and would visually determine speeders before shooting them. If they nose dived, like they had a detector, I would give them less breaks.

Now that I'm retired, I go by the local trooper's saying, 9 you're fine, 10 you're mine.

I don't think about airbags at all. I'm certain they don't affect my speed. I don't think seat belts do either, but I'm less certain of that.

5 over, max

also quick Q: when you buy a BMW do you sign a little piece of paper that obligates you to drive like an asshole 100% of the time

sure seems that way

Back