G1 is better than the iPhone

ender is a super fanboy I wouldn't bother arguing mac stuff with him

didn't he buy 4 macbooks or something silly like that

I am also another very satisfied G1 owner, the OS is what makes it awesome, when we see a phone with great hardware running android the market share will skyrocket.

Anyway, if you want to see everything on the market, not just featured apps: Cyrket - Android Market Browser

If you need a emulator running at 100% right now, Nesoid is great (I play with the sound off though): http://www.cyrket.com/package/com.androidemu.nes

A new MAME emulator is being worked on, still rather early: Android Arcade Emulator

And if you have root and Debian: Android GP2x World: youtube video - pre-alpha version

I love my G1 and I think ultimately Android is a better OS then the iPhone OS; but HTC really needs to step it up hardware wise with their next android powered phone; I love the whole having a memory card as opposed to a hard drive bit, but android absolutely needs to allow app installs to the memory card; what the fuck is the point of having a 16gb MicroSDHC card if the only thing I can put on it are music and pics?

There's supposed to be a G1v2 coming out soon'ish thats pretty heavily revamped hardware-wise. There's also the HTC Magic (G2), which is pretty much a G1 sans keyboard. Not sure if the internal specs have been upgraded on either phone.

There's also a very sexy looking Samsung Android device (rumored to be) coming to T-Mobile pretty soon. Also sans keyboard, but the Cupcake firmware adds a soft keyboard anyways.

TmoNews Blog Archive Side By Side Look At HTC Magic and I7500

physical tactile keyboard > any touchscreen only device

sorry I have used the iphone and blackberry storm, both are horrible for typing IMO.

Also Tmobile data plans are cheaper than AT&T so I don't get the hate. $35 for unlimited data and text.. with the Iphone the data plan is $30/month for unlimited data then another $20/month for unlimited text. Also Tmobile has a $30 voice plan where as the cheapest AT&T voice plan is $40.

Question though:

Is there a text editor app for the G1? I have an FTP app, but would like the ability to update text on a website from my phone. I can download HTML/script files to my phone but there does not appear to be text editor app that can just open any file from the SD card.

Last edited:
hi. i just got the android update for my G1

hello on-screen keyboard, video recorder, stereo bluetooth, and about 50 other things. and lol, i can rotate my screen sideways!!

yay open source

i'm not a huge mac fag but i like my iphone quite a bit

i've messed with jonez's g1 and it's a slick phone, i just think i like the iphone interface more

lol macfag lol

hi. i just got the android update for my G1

hello on-screen keyboard, video recorder, stereo bluetooth, and about 50 other things. and lol, i can rotate my screen sideways!!

yay open source

So the actual update is now released? Thats why I posted this thread... I rooted my phone and had all that, at the time of this post. This last update is what makes this phone so awesome. I will have to check and see if there are any extra features to the "official" cupcake as opposed to my pre release

So the actual update is now released? Thats why I posted this thread... I rooted my phone and had all that, at the time of this post. This last update is what makes this phone so awesome. I will have to check and see if there are any extra features to the "official" cupcake as opposed to my pre release

yah i just woke up and saw the update this morning. atm i'm playing with some of the new browser features (eg. copy/paste)

I got the Android 1.5 update yesterday as well. If you haven't been alerted automatically yet, trying going into your settings, then "about phone", then "system updates" to see if you can manually do it.

Really liking the new features and the polish they applied to the old ones. Great stuff :)

Back