Fantasy Football Sleepers

sven137

Veteran XX
Who are they, or you are yours? Interested to who you nerds appoint as unexpected talents in the NFL...

images

Maybe not even considered a sleeper. I just wanted to re-declare my Mike Wallace mancrush.

Homer tag aside. I'm telling you, Steven Jackson should be much higher than most boards have him. I am an avid Rams fan and listen to ALL offseason and camp reports, no matter how negative they are most of the time in ramsfanland, and SJ39 has come in bigger, more in shape, and behind a much improved offense that ever. He will be the center-piece to a middle-of-the-pack offense (if they're lucky), but will no doubt be the center-piece. He is a top 5, maybe even top 3 RB who will get all goal line runs and who will have a much more capable QB throwing to him too.

I mention him because that's the only player I really feel qualified to tout at this point. I realize he's not a "sleeper" or a stretch, but compare to where most have him in their draft, it's different. I know the Rams (unfortunately lately) and he will be better than ever, mark my word.

I also know the Colts and Bears (bears O only because I know Martz). People are down a little on Reggie Wayne because so many other Colts targets are functioning full speed unlike last year, but I can confidently say Wayne will be a ridiculously unbalanced choice for Peyton this year, again, now more than ever. Teams will have to respect Garcon/Gonzalas/Collie/Clark, but Peyton will throw consistently to Wayne throughout. Again, no shocker or sleeper here, but many are doubting Wayne because of all the options to Peyton. Don't doubt, Wayne will be the goto guy and he catches everything near him.

Lastly, the Bears. Expect big things from Culter, including interceptions, but many TDs too. Forte will be somewhat downplayed because of Martz's rep for downplaying RBs, but Forte fits in a Martz scheme and will pile on the points run and pass. Expect numbers for Knox, Hester, Olsen, and Aromashodu in a Martz timing/air Coryell offense.

Is CJ Spiller for real? Are Rookie Running Backs even sleepers anymore?
I wouldn't consider Spiller a sleeper; Fred Jackson is going to miss some weeks and Marshawn Lynch was also a little banged up IIRC. Plus Spiller looks pretty fucking good :). I think he's going to get drafted too high personally...I wouldn't take him in the 3rd round but I imagine a lot of people would.

As for rookie backs being "sleepers" I think it depends a lot on the back situation for whatever team he might be on. Ryan Matthews is certainly not a sleeper.

Last edited:
A really late round sleeper to keep an eye on (and or pick up on the waiver wire later.) is Lex Hilliard out of Miami.

At least as a backup.

Ronnie Brown is prone to injury and coming off a late season ACL tear, and Ricky Williams is Ricky... Lex can make it happen, if he gets a chance at the rock.

what sort of reasoning do you have that makes you think he'll play anywhere near his numbers in 06?

I guess I did overstep a bit saying best ever. 2006 was monster, and that's the sort of year fantasy wise I expect him to have. Attempts and receiving, maybe not, Linehan was obsessed with him, especially throwing to him that year.

The difference fantasy wise this year compared to the last few will be successful goal line attempts/conversions/tds. Bradford will spread the ball around much more than in the recent past. The O will be generally more successful and balanced. SJ will be facing less 8 man boxes than in several years. He will also have more passing yards than the last few years (but not 2006).

Bottom line, or to answer your question: slightly less rushing attempts, more rushing yards, more rushing tds, less receiving yards, and less receiving tds than 2006. Overall, I expect it to be a similar year to 2006 fantasy wise, which is way better than he is projected, and way better than the last two years.

Is CJ Spiller for real? Are Rookie Running Backs even sleepers anymore?

spiller is good, but will have much more value in a keeper league obv. I think its reasonable to see Fred Jackson have higher fantasy value at RB for Buffalo this year. CJ will probably end up being decent for the flex position by years end, but if you're starting him there week 1 you drafted poorly. And since he typically goes much higher in drafts than where you'd be picking up bench players, its really hard to call him a sleeper.

the only rookie running backs who could really be considered sleepers at this point are montario hardesty and maybe arian foster(assuming nobody in your draft does much research).

Last edited:
steven jackson is a bit of a risk-- ppl are gonna stack the box with avery out and to test bradford, but that division is incredibly weak (except 49ers) and he's gonna put up really consistent numbers until he gets injured

some undervalued rb's:
ronnie brown
ahmad bradshaw
clinton portis

i also think ryan matthews is a top 5 back easy

i was happy to get a top 4 rb and then SJ in the second round in 2 out of my 3 drafts this year

my sleepers:

kevin walter
pierre garcon
joseph addai
philip rivers
ROB GRONKOWSKI

im pretty sure after gronk dragged lauranaitis 4yds for a td he's no longer a sleeper

dude's john sobieski in a fucking pats uniform

Back