DUNE

all the casting looks good cept for zendaya coleman

just dont see her pulling off a passable, let alone compelling, chani

actually really enjoyed david lynch's version, but just the director's cut version

i'm curious what the baron harkonnen will look like

my bestfriend was into dune
i know nothing about it
i will see this film
I just read the books a few years ago. The first 4 books are good but by the 5th book, I just stopped and put it down. No sooner do you (the reader) get into all the characters in the book and want to begin to learn more about them, does the next book start and it is thousands of years in the future. Now you need to learn about all these new characters and the same thing happens again.

The story that the books revolve around is incredibly good though. The writing is fantastic, the story telling is fantastic, but the way the story leaps into the future is annoying. I liked the Hyperion story a lot more but the writing style from Frank Herbert in Dune is superior.

I just watched the trailer. Going t reread the books for a 10th time. Fantastic story. Hopefully Zendaya doesn't suck at life as Chani. Shes a super overhyped actress.

the next book start and it is thousands of years in the future. Now you need to learn about all these new characters and the same thing happens again.

The 5th and 6th books were amazing. Miles Teg is a fucking badass. Think of Tywin Lannister (old patriarch) but in space. I've watched the trailer twice. As someone who owns all the books, i am so fucking excited.

I just read the books a few years ago. The first 4 books are good but by the 5th book, I just stopped and put it down. No sooner do you (the reader) get into all the characters in the book and want to begin to learn more about them, does the next book start and it is thousands of years in the future. Now you need to learn about all these new characters and the same thing happens again.

The story that the books revolve around is incredibly good though. The writing is fantastic, the story telling is fantastic, but the way the story leaps into the future is annoying. I liked the Hyperion story a lot more but the writing style from Frank Herbert in Dune is superior.

I forget how far I got into this series, but I know I didn't finish it.
I usually don't do that; not sure why I stopped.

The books, if you remove the whole religious undertones, are really good

the books, in large part because of the religious overtones, are really good

take out the insight and analysis of religion and you get the prequels written by his son. tolerable but indistinguishable from any other pulp scifi.

The only bad book was book 4, God emperor, bc the author was going thru cancer treatments

god emperor is easily the best. then children > messiah/heretics > original. i read chapterhouse but don't really remember it. the first five all have major shifts in main characters and setting. chapterhouse iirc is just a direct continuation of heretics.

Last edited:
not even gonna watch the trailer because i will 100% see this and don't need to be spoiled. blade runner 2049 is all i need to sell me on a denis villeneuve dune.

lynch's version has some really good scenes (guild introduction, the abomination) that work as a companion to the sheer weirdness the novel sometimes blows through, but it is aggressively pointless as a story, lazily miscast (patrick stewart as gurney halleck?), and a lot of the effects are hard fails in ways that never stop being a problem (blue glowing eyes, box shields)

speaking of the later books, max von sydow circa 1984 would be the perfect miles teg

Back