What are you most looking forward to? T:V

I'm just glad I haven't gotten eaten alive for thinking the grappling hook is a waste of time. I figured the reaction to my opinions would be more negative.

I figured more people would have tried the "prove to me why I shouldn't have the grappling hook" (only deadjawa tried this) approach, which is the WORST approach to game design possible, because it assumes a game that includes everything and then tries to slice away the chaff. What is necessary is for someone to prove WHY every capability of the grappling hook is beneficial and useful to Tribes gameplay.

I feel that while everyone may have come up with a self-consistent and balanced tool, they have not sufficiently proven this important requirement: why should it be added? It seems like an unnecessary addition, and I subscribe to KISS when it comes to game design.

But I think about these things too much, and I'm not a designer on any development team, so if it makes everyone feel better, they can simply laugh and shrug off my opinions. ;]

Well, I wouldn't say the grappling hook needs to be added, but what I do think is that tribes movment needs some evolution. There are a varity of ways to do this, and I support the grappling hook as the most fun. I know it's hard to consider as we always worry about over complication -- no one wants base to be renegades, not even the renegade players. But I believe it is possible to add new concepts in a manner that is tasteful to the game.

I'm looking forward to a NEW game.

A game that captures the essense of Tribes gameplay. Not a better T1 or T2. I'm looking for T:V, a game I've never played before only famililar too.

I'm looking forward to new weapons, new vehicles, new ways to cap, new ways to defend.

I'm looking for something other than CTF.

I'm also looking for a large single community. Community that has flourishing competition, modding and mapmaking.

A game that is hard to crack, quickly patched and further developed to keep players interests and grow the community even a year after realease.

I'm looking for fun, challenge and years more of Tribes.

(not so much to ask, eh Thrax??? :p)

i'm looking forward to competitive play in a new tribes game, that will, hopefully, not be an unbalanced worthless pos :)

I also think a grappling hook would be the single best addition you could make to the game at this stage, the possibilities for use are amazing. Grappling hook + variable flag throw strength and capping would become the most inventive, enjoyable thing I could imagine doing on a PC.

Like Lucius, i'd like to see movement evolved in some way. Whether it be a hook, or as I thought would be cool, some way to effect fluid flow around you (ie whether by small wings or some other means). Not necessary to movement (you could have a default position), but as an advanced player you could alter your lift and drag coefficients while in flight, allowing you to fall faster, turn faster at the cost of lateral speed, etc.

KillerONE said:
I'm looking forward to a NEW game.

A game that captures the essense of Tribes gameplay. Not a better T1 or T2. I'm looking for T:V, a game I've never played before only famililar too.

I'm looking forward to new weapons, new vehicles, new ways to cap, new ways to defend.

I'm looking for something other than CTF.

I'm also looking for a large single community. Community that has flourishing competition, modding and mapmaking.

A game that is hard to crack, quickly patched and further developed to keep players interests and grow the community even a year after realease.

I'm looking for fun, challenge and years more of Tribes.

(not so much to ask, eh Thrax??? :p)

that is what i want too

Zoolooman said:
But Lucius, part of Tribes's greatest balancing features is the predictability of inertia. When you move fast, you lose the capability to maneuver out of the way. The grappling hook as a redirecting force counters one of the central mechanics of the jetpack movements: predictability.
When I read this I had a vision of a capper flying in at warp speed, seeing a flurry of disks coming at him and activating a grappling hook at the ground below him and slamming face first into the dirt and making a Wille E Coyote hole in the ground. :)

Zoolooman said:
What is necessary is for someone to prove WHY every capability of the grappling hook is beneficial and useful to Tribes gameplay.
I haven't seen Special in this discussion, so let me try to sum up his opinion on the hook idea. I think he would say:

"Tribes is about freedom of movement, and a hook would increase a players movement options, thereby improving the over game experience."

However he would say it in 13 paragraphs.

I can understand if you want to throw us off because of competition catching wind of new innovations, but a grappling hook (bionic commando style) would revolutionize the game.

let it get balanced in beta.

--end--

Falhawk said:
I can understand if you want to throw us off because of competition catching wind of new innovations, but a grappling hook (bionic commando style) would revolutionize the game.

let it get balanced in beta.

--end--

Beta used for balancing the game? RIDICULOUS! That's what Meta is for.

I know its a fairly idealistic view, but a grappling hook in Tribes would be just the thing the series needs at this point. I see it being used alongside jetpacks and skiing, creating the most intricate and exhilirating movement experience in a computer game to date.

Tribes 1 introduced jetpacks and skiing as the norm
Tribes 2 made no addition to the movement system
Make Tribes Vengeance stand out as much as Tribes 1 did, add grappling hooks.

Then again, if a dev says they aren't in the game, then I suppose it's no use.

Back