How fast do you go on the highway?

why would you not wear a seatbelt
its not like its a big deal to put it on

i've been in car accidents and used to work in EMS. responding to high speed accidents where a dude didn't have his seatbelt on was generally horrific. Usually, when they go through the windshield, we find their shoes on the floor and their socks on the dashboard.

I'd say your chances of dying without seatbelts are a lot higher at 90 than at 60

The question is, do people put themselves at a higher risk by driving faster/more careless because they feel safer with an airbag?

the point is, in a severe accident at those speeds, your likelihood of surviving starts to diminish very quickly. the seatbelt may work in your favor, but influence the chance of you surviving a lot less. crash testing is not even undertaken above 35 mph... it doesn't mean take the seatbelt off, it just means it's not some golden parachute at highway speeds. your best bet is to not speed as much.

what you are referring to in the second part there is called "risk compensation".

I do 100 on the highway
if you do the speed limit get the fuck out of my way
DUI hardly ever caught sober
so you about to get ran the fuck over

I do 100 on the highway
if you do the speed limit get the fuck out of my way
DUI hardly ever caught sober
so you about to get ran the fuck over

fuck 160kmph?

Cars in my area have been called in for doing 140 kmph (86mph) on the highway

a nice black SUV pulled them over afew minutes down the road

I always go at least 10mph over, I've gotten two tickets going around 15 over, and a warning north of seattle for going 80 in a 60 (in the carpool lane??? who gives a fuck???)

Yeah not wearing a seatbelt doesn't make sense to me... Then again neither does forcing people to wear them.

Darwin dude...

Yeah not wearing a seatbelt doesn't make sense to me... Then again neither does forcing people to wear them.

Darwin dude...
until you get involved in an accident with a dude not wearing one and he turns into burger on the highway and you get your ass sued.

I have a friend who wouldn't wear a seatbelt. He got in my car one day and i refused to drive until he put on his belt. All of my friends started doing this to him and now he wears one in his own car out of habit.

People are so fucking stupid

until you get involved in an accident with a dude not wearing one and he turns into burger on the highway and you get your ass sued.
that's bs if someone else's gratuitous negligence can lead to you getting sued.

I have a friend who wouldn't wear a seatbelt. He got in my car one day and i refused to drive until he put on his belt. All of my friends started doing this to him and now he wears one in his own car out of habit.

People are so fucking stupid

agreed, people are dumb

some people make me put on my seatbelt when i'm a passenger, and i'm smart enough to not let it become a habit in my own car

we already had a "why it's a social imperative to wear your seatbelt" thread

short answer: saves us money on healthcare, and ends up saving ALL americans money when they do go to the hospital

Back