The bodyblock that killed Tribes

9Millimeter

Veteran XV
High Tolerance vs NuTz, 2001-02-28, TWL
The bodyblock that killed Tribes

High Tolerance was up 1-0 in the match after taking Raindance from NuTz 6-5. Both teams played hard on Rollercoaster and the map ended in a 7-7 tie. During overtime, clamsoda made a clean side grab of the NuTz flag and was safely home, but was bodyblocked by his teammate Bionic just inches from capping the flag. In the ensuing chaos, sKILLz took out clamsoda and returned the flag while PC-Cola grabbed and eventually capped, winning the map for NuTz and forcing the tiebreaking map of Obfuscation.

After High Tolerance went on to lose Obfuscation and the match, Cassiopeia aka SarcaStick posted a thread calling NuTz out for cheating resulting in the cover being blown on what most players had already suspected. The resulting furor over NuTz, cheats, and the release of Tribes 2 turned a lot of players off of Tribes 1 which is why Bionic's bodyblock is claimed to have killed Tribes. If he had not blocked clamsoda, High Tolerance would have won the match and SarcaStick's thread would never have been made.

i also posted a follow-up thread called 'an amusing screenshot someone sent me' that showed off hudbot and proved its existence to the tribes community at large

sarca hasn't done a thing worthwhile in his life

And shouldn't have, even cheating their asses off.

haterade.gif

And yea, cheating is lame, but saying they "should have" won that map is iffy.

They made a mistake that cost them the map. When a football team fumbles on its own goal line causing a game-losing safety in overtime, you don't say they "should have" won the game.

I won't defend the use of cheats or the selection of obfs though. No argument there.

Yeah a little bit of hate. I played that game for a long time and didn't cheat.
You guys cheated at that game for a long time. The NuTz / wolfpack legacy is not
that you'll be remembered as good players, good guys, or providing fun times.

You'll be remembered as cheaters.

Back