[Kurayami] Syrian (Russian) new Fighters...

sven137

Veteran XX
Kura, or anyone alse who might have insight on this, I am curious.
Check out a clip from this article:

" Israel is concerned about reported Russian deliveries of advanced MiG-31 fighter planes to its enemy Syria as part of an armaments drive, the top-selling Hebrew daily reported on Tuesday.
The MiG-31, considered one of the best fighters in the world, can carry guided missiles with a range of more than 200 kilometres (125 miles) and is capable of striking 24 different targets simultaneously, Yediot Aharonot said.

"This information is more concerning when put in the context of massive armaments purchases made recently by the Syrians," Yuval Steinitz, an MP from Israel's right-wing opposition Likud party, was quoted as telling the daily.

"If Syria acquires the MiG-31 we can no longer rule out the idea that this country is preparing for war," said Steinitz, a former chairman of Israel's defence and foreign affairs parliamentary committee.

A Russian newspaper reported on Tuesday that Russia has begun delivering five MiG-31E interceptors to Syria as part of an agreement reached this year, and that Moscow also plans to sell Damascus its MiG-29M/M2 dual role fighters."

My knowledge on what this does to the strategic imbalance between Israel and Syria is limited to having watched a few shows on the History Channel and the Military Channel about Israeli Air Force. The latter was a show about Israeli F-15's being undefeated vs. Syria. But that was when Syria was using what? I think they had mainly Mirages, correct?

My question for Kura, or anyone else who might know, is how does this MiG-31E stack up against the Israeli fitted F-15s? Is the f-15 still Israel's primary Air superiority plane? Will the Syrians be able to pilot this aircraft anywhere near its potential? Does Israel plan on purchasing next gen aircraft from us?

I want to hear your take on this Kura, in all it's glory.

I would think the 31's have dumbed down avionics/weapons/etc packages, much like the US did with a bunch of the F-16s sold to NATO allies a while back.

Course I'm no expert, but I'd think these planes in particular are a significant step down from a Russian service 31.

They'll just use them as photo ops... show them off... go on and on about the power of allah and how he had a hand in creating these Russian planes... and then some dude taking one out for a flight, will crash into a mountain.

I would think the 31's have dumbed down avionics/weapons/etc packages, much like the US did with a bunch of the F-16s sold to NATO allies a while back.

Course I'm no expert, but I'd think these planes in particular are a significant step down from a Russian service 31.

How much can the dumb them down? Every time I hear about the Russian planes the commentary starts of with well the design is better but the aeronautics suck compared to the U.S. Perhaps what I heard is wrong though.

How much can the dumb them down? Every time I hear about the Russian planes the commentary starts of with well the design is better but the aeronautics suck compared to the U.S. Perhaps what I heard is wrong though.

I believe it is pretty standard practice to sell planes to other countries that lack significant techological packages that they were designed/upgraded with to prevent said countries from having an equally formidable fighting force (hence the "block" package planes sold to NATO allies in the 80's/early 90's)

The Israeli's with their F-15's and F-16's (not to mention the battle seasoned pilots) are prob. more than a match for the 31's flown by Syrian pilots. Kurayami would be better able to speak to it though.

the mig31 isn't really a dogfighter. It maxes out at 5g.

It's an interceptor...shoot down bombers, sit back/wait for you to get into range, etc.

I don't understand the 'they are getting ready for war' comment by buying these planes...they are more a defensive type plane...:shrug:

I would take an Israeli piloting the Wright Flyer over some shitweed raghead in the latest and greatest Russian jet.

I would take an Israeli piloting the Wright Flyer over some shitweed raghead in the latest and greatest Russian jet.

Yeah he could just fly him close to the ground turn and next thing you know the towel head pilot is a suicide bomber into the hillside.

Fuck the jews. They're not the only country in the region allowed to have a powerful military... they're just crying because their neighbors are arming themselves to level the playing field.

Hopefully they all arm themselves with nukes and turn that entire fucking dump into a giant sheet of glass.

Fuck the jews. They're not the only country in the region allowed to have a powerful military... they're just crying because their neighbors are arming themselves to level the playing field.

Hopefully they all arm themselves with nukes and turn that entire fucking dump into a giant sheet of glass.

jews already have nukes...4 i believe

die Juden müssen brennen sind ich berichtigen? Es ist Zeit zu säubern, SIEG HEIL!

My question for Kura, or anyone else who might know, is how does this MiG-31E stack up against the Israeli fitted F-15s? Is the f-15 still Israel's primary Air superiority plane?
Israel flies a lot of aircraft, but their most advanced models are the F-16I and F-15I.

The MiG-31 is the successor to the MiG-25. The MiG-25 was the USSR's response to the US' XB-70 program. The MiG-31 is a pure interceptor.

In terms of avionics and versatility, the F-15 and F-16 trump the MiG easily.
The MiG, however, has one large advantage: Speed. It is the fastest production fighter ever built. Its "official" maximum speed is mach 2.83 at altitude, but Russian pilots have confirmed that it is capable of mach 3+ flight (this, however, destroys the engines and they need to be rebuilt before it can fly again.)

In the Gulf War, the only Iraqi air kill is credited to a MiG-25 that came in at max speed, hit its target (a F/A-18, I believe,) and egressed. None of the American aircraft in the area could do a damn thing about it because they could not catch it.

My opinion is basically this:
With a very good pilot, the MiG-31 would be very competitive versus the American aircraft. Its speed would allow it to dictate the course of any fight (as would the fact that Russian LRMs outrange Western ones by a fair deal. The downside being that they are not fire and forget like most Western models.) It could also withdraw from any encounter it could not win.

But I'm not sure I'd worry too much about Syria producing world class pilots.

Will the Syrians be able to pilot this aircraft anywhere near its potential?
Probably not.

Does Israel plan on purchasing next gen aircraft from us?
Israel would love to.
But they've been kicked out of the JSF program for selling US technology to the Chinese. It's about time, too. Israel passed on a boatload of F-16 tech that the US had given it for its "Lavi" project.

So Israel will not be flying F-35s any time soon.

And the F-22 is not for export.

die Juden müssen brennen sind ich berichtigen? Es ist Zeit zu säubern, SIEG HEIL!

This isn't about wanting to kill jews, its about leaving that unstable clusterfuck of a region and its retarded populace to destroy eachother so I don't have to listen about them on the news any more.

That whole area is a giant breeding ground of hatred towards the west and further propagation of completely retarded religions. The world would be better off without the middle east and everybody in it.

The F-16 was a joint development with about half a dozen European nations. As far as I know, they got the exact same A-D models that the US did.

Several countries have further developments on the C/D model (Greece comes to mind.)

Japan has the F-2, which is essentially a redesign of the F-16 with a better avionics package.

The Russians typically manufacture export versions of their own equipment. The Mi-17, for example, is the export version of the Mi-8 (and same with the Mi-24/Mi-35.)

Generally, the differences are not major. They are there and the domestic version is superior, but usually only enough to give Russia the edge if it ever fought against one of its customers.

The MiG-31E is an export model. I don't know what has been changed.
A quick look at the MiG website shows the the 31E has different engines and can carry more fuel. Surprisingly, it has the same radar system that the Russian models have (RP-31E.)

Back