Independent Music

Kaiser

Veteran XX
In this thread I will attempt to establish myself as an independent music and alternative music expert for the sake of this thread: (http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472327) Feel free to ask me anything you all want to know about indie music scenes both current and from the past 15 years. I will educate as well as provide good recommendations to those seeking more knowledge.

First and foremost: Subscribe to Magnet MAGNET Magazine
Why?

Spend $15 (or so) and receive the only relevant musical publication still in circulation. The issues come out every two months, and it is a one year subscription. You can also pick a CD from a list of about 10. They include EPs and LPs. With each issue you receive a CD sampler of about 20-22 songs from various artists. (Where else can you read an article where Eddie Vedder interviews Sleater Kinney?)

Aside from that, the magazine is well-written and covers all genres, from indie music, to hip-hop, to jazz, folk, and even punk. It is definitely well-worth it.

(Useless trivia: It was started by the shoegazers of Starflyer59.)

No, I don't work for Magnet.

Musical scenes:
Athens, GA: What? Only REM can emerge from a town like this? RIP Elephant 6 folks. I, for one, am glad the collective is dead, because they finally figured out how to use the damned horns in the proper places. Elf Power and Of Montreal are 2 fantastic bands to come out of this scene.
(Useless info: Elf Power is fucking great live. I once saw them in a small bar in Lexington in 2002.)

Other band recommendations:

I think one of the most influential bands of the past 10 years has to be The Shins (formerly Flake Music). Their newest release is actually old material, but exposure is great, isn't it? "Phantom Limb," by my observation, could be considered typical Shins material. It is a damn good album overall, and I highly recommend it.

Decemberists: "The Crane Wife" marks a departure from their earlier material, but it is a great album in its own right. They use a wide range of instruments in their music, and do it effectively (not like some of the Violent Femmes symphony orgies). "The Mariners Revenge Song" is a good example, and it also points to the lyrical style of their songs. to put it simply: They tell stories with their songs. They're a great band if you want something different, and can appreciate arrangements that are different from your typical bass/guitar/drums. Sure, they're no symphony, but I love them. I can't point to a typical Decemberists song, because, musically, they rarely sound alike. The only consistent part of their songs is Colin Meloy. He has an awesomely different voice, and it totally fits with their sound (or lack thereof).

Band of Horses: Holy fucking shit I fell in love with My Morning Jacket when I first heard them on Lexington radio back in 2001. "Tennessee Fire" blew my fucking mind and never left my CD player for a solid 3 months. Band of Horses reminds me of early My Morning Jacket, but with more focus and less jamming. Their debut album is great and mellow. It is a sonic delight.

Neko Case: So angry! So sad! Such a wonderfully haunting voice! "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood" is her latest endeavor, and it is directly in line with her previous works. She is another great in the history of the songstress.

My brain ist kaput

More bands:
Iron and Wine: One guy with many collaborations. Good mellow voice and a multitudes of sounds. Who would have thought a good band could come from Florida?
Crooked Fingers: RIP Archers of Loaf. Eric Bachmann (whatup Neil Diamond) offers great lyrics and vocals to his new/old group. Checkout his cover of Johnny Cash's "Sunday Morning Coming Down" Great stuff.

NO CLIFFS YOU FUCKERS.

Last edited:
good music.

I have a 100 gigs of this kind of stuff myself, everything from the now ubiquitus Sujfan stevans to the classic and rare NMH C86 sampler.

Yep. Neutral Milk Hotel was a big part of Elephant 6.

What kind of music did I make pretty lame? Indie?

Pavement is one of my all-time favorite bands. I've seen them close to ten times (between Crooked rain Crooked rain and Brighten the Corners). I was also a huge fan of Sonic Youth around the time they released Experimental Jet Set trash and No Star. Superchunk. Damn. Seed Toss is a great song.

For clarification: I'm not telling people what to like. I found these bands on my own mainly through Magnet and through various label website. this is a thread about love Kombat, not hate. (I despise emo and don't consider any of those bands ot be emo).

Instead of me just being so damn internet angry over petty shit. I'll add a few bands I'm listening to, as a means of apology.

Amadou and Mariam
Islands
Mouse on Mars
Boards of Canada
MBV
Elvis Perkins (for those sappy people)

I really wish more people would give Amadou and Mariam a go... they are awesome!
I never saw Pavement before the split... only Malkmus alone.

Try Solex's album "the laughing stock of indie rock"

It's good stuff comming from a single chick with a sampler and computer. She mocks indie rock and there are TONS of inside jokes for the indie-fan. An example of this is "fold your hands child, you walk like an Egyptian"

i've heard this band out of LA that consists of young, really talented kids. I cant think of the name right now but i think Anthony Kiedis proclaimed them to be the next big thing. Any ideas?

Try Solex's album "the laughing stock of indie rock"

It's good stuff comming from a single chick with a sampler and computer. She mocks indie rock and there are TONS of inside jokes for the indie-fan. An example of this is "fold your hands child, you walk like an Egyptian"

my friend was playing that last week. Im a minimalist when it comes to music (on the whole).

Im liking Animal Collective's new EP, but any sort of Tribal music infatuates me.
Deerhunter is a new band outta the A (tlanta). Good droney rock.

Im sure everyone has heard "The Knife" by now but if you haven't awesome CD.

Momus is awesome. I also just heard them last week from the same friend, oddly. Are you Joe?

Instead of me just being so damn internet angry over petty shit. I'll add a few bands I'm listening to, as a means of apology.

Amadou and Mariam
Islands
Mouse on Mars
Boards of Canada
MBV
Elvis Perkins (for those sappy people)

I really wish more people would give Amadou and Mariam a go... they are awesome!
I never saw Pavement before the split... only Malkmus alone.

For the record, I despised the Elephant 6 collective (sans Elf Power). I've only recently begun to like the fragments of the collective on the 2nd go-around.

I've heard of Amadou and Mariam, but never heard their material. I'll have to check them out.

Mouse on Mars is pretty interesting one of my old friends was way into them back in 2001-2002. I haven't heard of any of their recent stuff.

Never heard of Island, Boards of Canada, or MBV.

It's a shame that you never saw Pavement. I loved malkamus for Pavement (sans that abortion known as terror Twighlight) but I hate him for driving the band apart.

Do you listen to Preston School of Industry at all? We've heard Spiral Stairs style before (Date with Ikea off of Brighten the Corners), and this stuff is in the same vein.'

I AM NOT YOUR INTERNET ENEMY KOMBAT WOMBAT.

listening to greetings from michigan by sufjan stevens right now. amazing. i need to get a couple more of his albums.

kaiser - MBV = my bloody valentine if that helps.

For the record, I despised the Elephant 6 collective (sans Elf Power). I've only recently begun to like the fragments of the collective on the 2nd go-around.

I've heard of Amadou and Mariam, but never heard their material. I'll have to check them out.

Mouse on Mars is pretty interesting one of my old friends was way into them back in 2001-2002. I haven't heard of any of their recent stuff.

Never heard of Island, Boards of Canada, or MBV.

It's a shame that you never saw Pavement. I loved malkamus for Pavement (sans that abortion known as terror Twighlight) but I hate him for driving the band apart.

Do you listen to Preston School of Industry at all? We've heard Spiral Stairs style before (Date with Ikea off of Brighten the Corners), and this stuff is in the same vein.'

I AM NOT YOUR INTERNET ENEMY KOMBAT WOMBAT.

I know man I apologized. Honestly I have every Pavement album and I own the Long Century DVD. That DVD makes the case that Spiral Stairs was the one that broke the band up. Its some kind of rift like certain people think it was spiral, some think its malkmus. Honestly, I think Malkmus made up 60% of that bands coolness, so he could never be responsible for the breakup. Boards of Canada is just awesome techno, but not like any other techno... just amazing really. If you're serious... try The Campfire Headphase CD or one of their EP's for a feel of it.

Again, I apologize for hostility. I was involved in a chugging contest downtown last night and I had to wake up at 9 for class.

listening to greetings from michigan by sufjan stevens right now. amazing. i need to get a couple more of his albums.

kaiser - MBV = my bloody valentine if that helps.

I actually have never heard anyone refer MBV as my bloody valentine. If thats common then good catch. If thats not common than you're brilliant for figuring that out. I just used acronyms in hopes of getting someone to catch it... i never woulda thought so soon.

I actually have never heard anyone refer MBV as my bloody valentine. If thats common then good catch. If thats not common than you're brilliant for figuring that out. I just used acronyms in hopes of getting someone to catch it... i never woulda thought so soon.

i've got loveless on vinyl. when you sleep/sometimes are just incredible.

how can you possibly call yourself an expert in indie music and not even mention pitchfork media? i mean really

Spoiler

you can't call yourself an indie rock fan if you have never heard of MBV (and yes they are referred to as MBV sometimes)

as a matter of fact, kevin shields played on 2 Primal Scream releases, and there were several MBV songs on those.

Last edited:
Back