Xbox 360 Tops PS3 in Japan

KillerONE

Veteran X
Original Article

Microsoft is having one impressive week over in Japan. In addition to grabbing the second slot in the Media Create top 50 sales charts with Ace Combat 6, the 360 sold 17,673 hardware units in one week alone. With the new sales, the system has at last crossed the 500,000 sold mark, which is something that the original Xbox never did.\r\n\r\nBut more than that, this is what we\'re sure will keep people talking. The 17,673 hardware units was enough for the 360 to beat both the PS2 and PS3! Yes, the 360 is now the second hottest console in Japan (next to the Wii).

The PS3 is actually pretty close to the 360, at 17,434 units. Given that Media Create estimates its numbers based off a sampling of stores, it's possible that the PS3 did actually beat the 360 this week. We'll never know for sure. What is pretty clear, however, is that the 360 beat the PS2, which only managed 10,209 units.
It's doubtful that the 360 will beat the PS3 in sales next week, but we presume Microsoft wouldn't mind just staying in five digits for two weeks in a row.

I'm replying to this solely because I believe this story should have more than 4 replies...

When Nintendo said they wouldn't be competing directly with 360 and ps3 they were right. Nintendo is in it's own sub-class of awesomeness that, for now, seems untouchable by the other consoles.

I thought they were being cocky when they were saying all that and I never thought it would be true.

They are pretty far off with their online claims though. 85% of people going online with their DS? So far both consoles have had online features that go against the spirit of online!

We see games touting online capibilities and think that's all great but the wonderful aspects of online that make it fun are purposely excluded for parental(?) reasons.

What's the point in team-based gaming like batallion wars if you have extremely limited ways of getting everyone to work together? I think Nintendo's top guns would learn a lot from watching the Team Fortress 2 commentary about team-play. They could learn a lot about what makes online play fun and what makes it suck.

Back