wine gurus

http://www.darenberg.com.au/
Sit down, STFU
End of thread.
Thanks for coming.

I have bought many bottles of various types, and I have never found one I didnt like.

In particular (if you can find it) the '98 Dead Arm is an amazing drop is you like Shiraz. However at this stage it will easily surpass $60us or more. And dont be put off by any sediment in this bottle, its meant to be there and in a good year it sticks to the bottle inside and doesnt come out in your glass.

(dead arm) http://www.darenberg.com.au/C_05-02c.php?id=113&image=Vertical

Good luck finding it however, its an Australian red, and even locally it can be quite difficult to locate, you will definately need to know a good importer/wholesaler with import contacts.

Alpine said:
I don't see what so bad about buying decent priced wine. Copper Ridge is only sold to resturants thats why it is hard to get unless you know Resturant owners or Store owners. At a resturant I usually dine at each glass of that stuff is $13 a peice.

You are getting ripped off if you are paying $13/glass for Copper Ridge. I work at Ruby Tuesdays and that is considered our house wine, which is the cheapest one we have. It's only 3.99 a glass.

A couple of bottles I bought my dad for his birthday. These are supposed to be GREAT as i've heard from many people & websites.

DeLille Cellars 2001 D2
Andrew Will "Champoux Vineyard" Cabernet Sauvignon `99

Xplo said:
Fun fact: "wine" coolers are, in fact, flavored malt liquor. There's no wine in them AFAIK.
Even more fun fact: "Wine" coolers are actually a spin-off of wine spritzers--made with real wine.

Xplo said:
To me, most reds just taste like dirt, raisins, and bitterness. Guess I can't appreciate them as palatable drinks. :shrug:

I have the same experience, but with white wine. I mean I just can't seem to appreciate whites in general. I can certainly distinguish taste, but I simply don't have any pleasure drinking them. I can never say if a white is good, great, or just different...
With reds, it seems that high quality or presence is much more felt and I can really sense "greatness" when it's there.

Since everyone's been doing it, here are my selections this month for value (of course, availability is subject to where you live...):

White:
00477257.jpg

Chateau des Matards, Cotes de Blaye, 2004
The exception to what I just said about whites... It's the very first time I actually went back to get a 2nd, 3rd bottle of white. $15 CAN... so $12US ?

Red:
040710021.jpg

Chateau de Cruzeau, Pessac-Leognan, 2001 and 2002
Frankly amazing for the price. I find it to be the ideal bottle to introduce someone to what a high-quality Bordeaux can be like. Great balance. $23Can ... ~$18US ?

Funny that I chose two french wines whereas I'm much more of a Californian/Australian/Chilean wine drinker (mostly for value...)

Back