wine gurus

Eggi said:
i wasnt going to make fun of you for saying retarded things in this thread

but then you said greg norman cab is your favorite

lol.

it is my favorite cabernet.

I don't see how that's retarded.

Please feel free to point out the other retarded things I've said in this thread. What...are you a white zin fan?

My favorite cheap wine is: Cinnabar - Mercury Rising (2002) ~$20-

I disagree that you can get quality wines for $8-$15 dollars. I go to a lot of wine tastings (weekly) and keep my collection pretty stocked, and must say that anything under $15 is usually shit. There are some good ones, but you have to know what you're doing.

Wednesday night my gf and I, and three friends went to the Prime Rib and had some good wines (all cabs) with dinner:

Chimney Rock -Reserve (1996)
Mount Eden Vineyards Old Vine Reserve (1999)
Opus 1 (1980)

The opus 1 was fucking amazing.

Another wine I'd suggest that is pricey but worth it is the 2002 Ridge Monte Bello (Cabernet)...Silver Oak is also a great wine.

Last edited:
some wines that I really like:

Ravenswood (most varieties really, their reserve is excellent IMO)
Pepperwood (pinot mostly)
Toasted Head (chardonnay only)
Estancia (chardonnay only)
Little Penguin is decent
BV is good
Wolfs Blass is good
Bin 999
Bulletin Place (chardonnay)
Cline is good
Clos Du Bois
Coppola wines are pretty good (although a bit pricey mostly for the name)

probably a bunch of others that I'm leaving off the list.

sarbuze said:
I disagree that you can get quality wines for $8-$15 dollars. I go to a lot of wine tastings (weekly) and keep my collection pretty stocked, and must say that anything under $15 is usually shit. There are some good ones, but you have to know what you're doing.

I've been to many wine tastings but have found that they generally turn people into pretentious assholes when it comes to wine.

I think my wife and I are heading out to Nappa this summer, hope to come home with a lot of new wines.

i get great $15 bottles of wine all the time. I'm no expert though.

I really like Shiraz.

i went to south africa for work....my coworkers boyfriend was a wine buyer for a french joint, and told us to get wine...he suggest this winery...i had the shiraz and merlot, both were really good...and rather cheap ($11/bottle IN south africa..so probably a bit more here)
http://www.wine.co.za/Directory/Winery.aspx?PRODUCERID=1113

anyone who thinks you can't get a decent wine for under $15 is full of themselves.

Falhawk said:
it is my favorite cabernet.

I don't see how that's retarded.

Please feel free to point out the other retarded things I've said in this thread. What...are you a white zin fan?

the retarded thing is where you complete bash a variety of wine. its equally as bad as the people who hate merlot because of the movie sideways

its fucking stupid

edit: "White zinfandel is a pale-rose wine colored that's very sweet. It has gained immensely in popularity since the 1980s, and sadly it is often looked down on by "real wine drinkers" because of its youth and sweetness. This is sad because every wine has its place in the grand palate of flavors. Yes, white zinfandel is light and sweet. But this is perfect in some situations - say a hot summer day with a crisp fruit salad. It's also a great way for non-wine-drinkers to get used to the flavors in wine, without being put off by a heavily tannic monster wine."

and i think going around bashing it so you can feel like some superior wine snob is stupid.

oh and definitely go to napa and check out some vineyards, i went to yakima valley (part of columbia valley in wa) and it was awesome. if you get a chance to talk to one of the actual winemakers, do so. They are normally more than willing to talk about their grapes, their wine, their neighbors, etc. I would also recommend staying away from the big wineries as you wont get the same experience as visiting the smaller operations.

Last edited:
Eggi said:
the retarded thing is where you complete bash a variety of wine. its equally as bad as the people who hate merlot because of the movie sideways

its fucking stupid

who said I hated merlot? I don't really like it, not because of some stupid movie either. Cabernet is my favorite followed by Pinot and probably Zinfandel (not white zin).

White zin, in my opinion is trash. Most people enter the world of wine from white zin so that's cool.

Got Haggis? said:
at a party i recently went to, they had White Merlot. but it was red in color. wtf is that.

White Merlot is the same as white Zin, except it is made from the merlot grape.

Falhawk said:
who said I hated merlot? I don't really like it, not because of some stupid movie either. Cabernet is my favorite followed by Pinot and probably Zinfandel (not white zin).

White zin, in my opinion is trash. Most people enter the world of wine from white zin so that's cool.

i didnt say you hated merlot, i said you bashing someone for liking a variety of wine is stupid, but if you dont like it thats fine *shrug* your opinion. i just compared the way you responded to alpine saying the white zin was good to the way my friends who watched sideways react when i order a glass of merlot at dinner.

Falhawk said:
White Merlot is the same as white Zin, except it is made from the merlot grape.
for those that dont know, both merlot and zin are red grapes. the white varieties are made by removing the skins, which leaves you with a blush colored wine, which can be drank soon after bottling (it doesnt really need to age). This makes them popular for big wineries and they are popular among many casual wine drinkers because they are fruity, light, and sweet. That being said, i am not a very huge fan of white zin either.

Last edited:
sarbuze said:
Wednesday night my gf and I, and three friends went to the Prime Rib and had some good wines (all cabs) with dinner:

Chimney Rock -Reserve (1996)
Mount Eden Vineyards Old Vine Reserve (1999)
Opus 1 (1980)

Opus 1 ... 1980 ... at a restaurant... That should've been one heck of a bill. I'd say the bottle is ~ 200$ x3 for a restaurant price? I don't think 1980 was a great year for Opus though, but it was one of their 1st bottles.

The only thing I have worthwhile in the cellar is a Mouton Rothschild '90, a couple of Mondavi Reserve... I don't know how people get to keep a wine collection; I just keep wanting to try them all the time.

Falhawk said:
I've been to many wine tastings but have found that they generally turn people into pretentious assholes when it comes to wine.

I think my wife and I are heading out to Nappa this summer, hope to come home with a lot of new wines.

I have to admit, about three years ago before I got really into wines, a $15 wine would be perfect...but after a few years of trying to learn more about wines, the grapes, what regions were good during what years, and more importantly, drinking a lot of wine, I've kind of become...as you would say, a "pretentious asshole." That being said, I still drink cheap wines and never complain, but I just know what I like a lot now and can really tell the difference.

I'm jealous about napa..you're going to love it!

InTheMoodForLuv said:
Opus 1 ... 1980 ... at a restaurant... That should've been one heck of a bill. I'd say the bottle is ~ 200$ x3 for a restaurant price? I don't think 1980 was a great year for Opus though, but it was one of their 1st bottles.

The only thing I have worthwhile in the cellar is a Mouton Rothschild '90, a couple of Mondavi Reserve... I don't know how people get to keep a wine collection; I just keep wanting to try them all the time.

Actually, the Opus One (Mondavi / Rothschild) was $250 (about $120 at a store). But, with the dinner and everything, it was quite a bill. I did bring our champaigne and I brought the Mount Eden (they wave the corking fee because we go there on occasion and spend a lot on their wines as is).

sarbuze said:
I have to admit, about three years ago before I got really into wines, a $15 wine would be perfect...but after a few years of trying to learn more about wines, the grapes, what regions were good during what years, and more importantly, drinking a lot of wine, I've kind of become...as you would say, a "pretentious asshole." That being said, I still drink cheap wines and never complain, but I just know what I like a lot now and can really tell the difference.

I'm jealous about napa..you're going to love it!

my uncle, who is a vintage wine dealer, said that this year was a great year for bordeaux reds...apparently a good year for sauvignon blanc and semillon grapes as well. i am going to look out for the 2005 bordeaux reds in about 10yrs.

Eggi said:

its fucking stupid

Totally agree. What's great about wine is their variety... and variety makes it accessible to more people. Bashing some types of grapes is plain stupid IMHO. You can prefer some types of wine, but I think it's unfair to totally dismiss a category just like that.

It's like saying : "Action movies are teh sux, and if you like them then you are trash." Different categories for different people for different occasions.

T-Funk said:
my gf's mom wanted that kind and i was wondering if its any good cause i want to find a wine i can drink that doesnt taste like shit
Stick with wine coolers. Somehow, I think they'll suit you better...

Didn't really read the thread, but if you like pinot noir and don't have a lot of cash to burn, you HAVE to try Castle Rock. It's about 9$ per bottle, if you can find it (really only on the west coast... easy find at military bases). It compares to bottles that cost around 30$ or 40$--really good stuff for the price, especially the Carneros 2004.

Back