Why is vaccine effectiveness such a hard thing to get clarity on?

for some reason when the polio vaccine came out ppl didn't lose their minds and try to say hcq was the real cure and polio was just the flu anyways and im not taking this experimental vaccine because i refuse to look at the data

aaahhhh
that's because it was polio?

iu

one and done

Untrue. I have no doubt that vaccines are effective at this point. However, it is also very clear to me that they are effective at treating a disease that is HIGHLY unlikely to negatively impact you to begin with.
It's a disease that is highly unlikely to impact any particular individual, but also one that spreads super fucking easily and can infect entire countries within a couple weeks. That has always been the aspect that made it so dangerous as to warrant all the lockdowns. Yes, maybe only a few percent of the infected would need to be admitted to hospital, but we still don't have enough hospitals for a few percent of the entire population.

The lockdowns were not there to protect the individual. They were there to protect the healthcare system from being overwhelmed.

This is the bit that sociopaths have trouble grasping.

hopefully like the last 2 week shutdown the govt does absolutely nothing and it turns into 3 months

Hey, look at it this way. A few more days and the lockdowns will commence, the protests and riots will kick back up. Red states will give the finger and blue will ape out. This is the way.

Reminds me of the game Stratego. Reds and Blues.

It's a disease that is highly unlikely to impact any particular individual, but also one that spreads super fucking easily and can infect entire countries within a couple weeks. That has always been the aspect that made it so dangerous as to warrant all the lockdowns. Yes, maybe only a few percent of the infected would need to be admitted to hospital, but we still don't have enough hospitals for a few percent of the entire population.

The lockdowns were not there to protect the individual. They were there to protect the healthcare system from being overwhelmed.

This is the bit that sociopaths have trouble grasping.

Literally nobody has trouble grasping this. Only it never happened here, nor is it happening now. I certainly haven't seen any new emergency facilities popping up to handle spill over where I live. Seems like I would if the need was imminent.

If the alarm bells weren't ringing 24/7 for the last 15 months would people with otherwise expected symptoms be rushing to hospitals in such numbers? Fair question.

Literally nobody has trouble grasping this. Only it never happened here, nor is it happening now. I certainly haven't seen any new emergency facilities popping up to handle spill over where I live. Seems like I would if the need was imminent.

didn't even come close to needing popup medical facilities. hell, cuomo didn't even use the huge naval ship that trump sent just in case to help the spill over. he just used nursing homes for that.

That's nice.

May the rest of your country/the world get on with its crisis management please?

They don't need new facilities if they have draconian masking and lockdown policies available to them. Isn't that the point?

Florida, Texas hospitals swamped by younger, unvaxxed COVID patients

Orlando's AdventHealth suspended non-emergency operations last week to free up staff and space. More than 90% of COVID-19 patients at AdventHealth's hospitals are unvaccinated, and the small number of vaccinated patients with COVID-19 typically have underlying conditions such as cancer or autoimmune disease, the hospital said.

"We have peaked above any previous wave and it is straining our system, our physicians and all of our clinicians," said Neil Finkler, chief clinical officer of AdventHealth's Central Florida division.

"None of these patients thought they would get the virus. But the delta variant has proven to be so highly contagious that even the young and the healthy, including pregnant patients, are starting to fill up our hospitals."

Florida, Texas hospitals swamped by younger, unvaxxed COVID patients

Orlando's AdventHealth suspended non-emergency operations last week to free up staff and space. More than 90% of COVID-19 patients at AdventHealth's hospitals are unvaccinated, and the small number of vaccinated patients with COVID-19 typically have underlying conditions such as cancer or autoimmune disease, the hospital said.

"We have peaked above any previous wave and it is straining our system, our physicians and all of our clinicians," said Neil Finkler, chief clinical officer of AdventHealth's Central Florida division.

"None of these patients thought they would get the virus. But the delta variant has proven to be so highly contagious that even the young and the healthy, including pregnant patients, are starting to fill up our hospitals."

AdventHealth elevates to level red with nearly 900 patients hospitalized with COVID-19

Across the hospital system, there are 862 COVID-19 patients hospitalized as of Monday morning, according to AdventHealth officials. This includes hospitals in Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Lake, Polk, Volusia and Flagler counties.

Despite the elevated status, AdventHealth officials said their system is not at risk of reaching capacity.

“Although we are in a very tight capacity situation, we stand ready to meet the demands of our community, and all the health care needs,” Herrera said. “We have the appropriate equipment, space and everything that is needed — even if cases continue to go up — to continue to care for COVID and not COVID-19 patients.”

Weird.

Back