Who is Your Favorite Shakespearean Character....

easily Falstaff

one of the greatest literary characters ever

Titus andronicus was ridiculous. I read it for the first time earlier this year. Someone gets raped/murdered nearly every other page

Last edited:
Dogberry: And if a merry meeting be wished, may god prohibit it.

(hope I didn't fuck up the quote)

i don't see how, for sheer entertainment value, it could not be mercutio.

althought the clown/ gravedigger in hamlet is an amazingly cool secondary/ tertiary character.

also, i'm pretty sure (positive) the monster in beowolf (and the name of the john gardner novel) is "grendel" not "grundel." a "grundel" is the area of a man that isn't quite the base of the balls and itsn;t wuite the beginning of the asshole.

Last edited:
Mercutio fucking rawked.

Mercutio: "O calm, dishonorable, vile submission! Alla stoccata carries it away! Tybalt, you rat-catcher, will you walk?"

Tybalt: "What would thou have with me?"

Mercutio: "Good King of Cats, nothing but one of your nine lives that I mean to make bold withal, and, as you shall use me hereafter, drybeat the rest of the eight. Will you pluck your sword out of his pilcher by the ears? Make haste! Lest mine be about your ears ere it be out!"

Although Hamlet is by far my favorite Shakespearean play, Mercutio is my favorite character. Romeo and Juliet was the first Shakespearean play I'd ever read, and Mercutio was the character who really drew me in to it.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Richard the III until page 3...

EDIT: Almost forgot! Why hasn't anyone mentioned Cassius from Julius Caesar yet? I remember wanting him and Brutus to win when I firts read that play in High School

AaronTheD said:
easily Falstaff

one of the greatest literary characters ever

Titus andronicus was ridiculous. I read it for the first time earlier this year. Someone gets raped/murdered nearly every other page

Though I disgree, I must stay there was a general losing of hands about the play and that there is an over obvious use of the hands, limbs, trees motif.

Titus - "O, handle not the theme, to talk of hands,
Lest we remember still that we have none."

Back