Where should I move, TW?

lots of azns in UT austin :p

alright i'll put up and shut up. If you were here in mid march you'd see a huge music/film/arts festival in austin. End of march still has college people in play drinkin like morans.
Austin is more of a research focused institution. I dont know what that means for Chinese studies at a grad level, but if you wanted to teach, there are probably better schools out there.

so you're going to school to go to school

To go to school with regular gov't grants to travel to countries in which I enjoy living, yes.

And Goshin: In my case, the paper from Boulder would probably be worth a little bit more, but I really like the research the Chinese profs at Austin do and would be more interested in it. Also as the old folks (well represented at Boulder) retire/ die off, the sorts of people and research currently at Austin will become increasingly relevant and mainstream. Actually hoping for tenure one day, that's an important consideration--what topics are hot, and what will be hot in 10-ish years. Textual studies of medieval Buddhism (Boulder) will likely not be.

???
i know i'm right. Tons of the 50k UT populace are asian kiddos being all gooky and stuff
Chinese/Mandurin is great to learn right now, since they're going to become a super power and hopefully we dont have to do all this world policing bullshit anymore >:|

lots of azns in UT austin :p

alright i'll put up and shut up. If you were here in mid march you'd see a huge music/film/arts festival in austin. End of march still has college people in play drinkin like morans.
Austin is more of a research focused institution. I dont know what that means for Chinese studies at a grad level, but if you wanted to teach, there are probably better schools out there.

Oh, and when/ what's the music festival? I haven't bought my ticket and can come any time. I just can't come back to China prior to April 4 and was planning 10-20 days for the trip, depending.

???

Was commenting on this, just saying it might work for me.

Of course there are better schools out there--Chicago, Columbia, Harvard, Hawaii for linguistics--they just have a hard time beating Austin's $5k price tag.

Austin is awesome. Been here for about a year and a half, I goto live musical performances almost weekly. The collective "healthy lifestyle" of Austin has motivated me to get back into ass kicking shape. Lots of attractive women, great places to eat, lots of outdoor recreational stuff. Only beef is the traffic, but you can get anywhere on a bike.

sorry tim, that ??? post wasnt directed at you, and the research comment was more something i put up before reading your post

by better i meant more teaching focused/driven than research driven.

March 16-19th is South By SouthWest (music portion). The film portion starts March 12th i think. basically 500 bands playing in bars all over austin from noon till 2am and aftershows if you know where to find them. Mostly free, some covers, and lots of cool acts.

free music downtown every night of the week by pretty decent upcomings.
ew needs to text me apparently
goin out every week are you!

then go ride some roller coasters life hater

austin is home to one of the best rowing waterways in the world
7 miles of beautiful jogging around said waterway all in the heart of downtown
loads of parks for people that have dogs or want to do that group workout shit or yoga or whatever in the park (boot camps and what)

few natural springs for swimmin (where hot womens sometimes take off tops) and a greenbelt in the area. Lots of hills to bike on (lance armstrong is good at hills cuz he lives/trains here lol!...but he's a douche)

lots to drink
lots to eat
lots to have sex with

Back