Votes: 36 8.5%
  • 70-80

Votes: 31 7.3%
  • 80-100

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • 100+

Votes: 112 26.5%

• Total voters
FngrBANG, your kids will grow up to be smart, hard working, responsible with money so long as you lead them properly. Spoiled brats that grow up with rich parents who spoon feed them everything will never amount to anything. Don't attempt to save to pay for their college. Make them get jobs, and bust their ass through highschool to pay for junker car, gas, play money. Then when they have a taste of the tough life and value of a dollar, let them get student loans for college.

Don't let anyone bust yer chops for havin too many kids with your income. My hats off to ya for makin it so far. Grats on new one in the oven. Hope it comes out fully baked and healthy. Don't stress out, you'll do fine.

Thanks,

My kids (about to turn age 3 & 5) work for a commission, btw

P.S. I've started savings accounts for all my children the moment that they were born--& I have never stopped contributing to them. Payroll deduct rawks!

I'm still in college but I put in the salary ($61k) for the Software Engineering job offer I accepted.

I was not happy about it. It was my first job offer from the 4 companies I had already interviewed at least once or twice for and two companies that have already scheduled an interview with me. I had a deadline of 14 days (after I asked for a 1 week extension) from the day I received the offer. Two companies tried to rush their interviews (about a week ahead of schedule) in response but none could give me an offer or rejection letter in time. If I didn't have lots of private student loans, I would have risked not getting a job at all after graduation by declining the offer.

The job search is not over.

thats what i started at after my CS degree and i doubled it in 5.5 years, it goes up quickly if you work hard, network correctly and impress peeps, so dont worry

and if it doesn't, work hard for a few years and interview elsewhere

CS market is good right now and i dont see it going down for a while

luckily i'm in the financial industry (company who makes big $$ steady) so the tech downturns dont affect me

yeah

google/facebook/lots of other companies have been hiring and expanding literally by the thousands in the last 6 months

thats what i started at after my CS degree and i doubled it in 5.5 years, it goes up quickly if you work hard, network correctly and impress peeps, so dont worry

and if it doesn't, work hard for a few years and interview elsewhere

I plan on reapplying pretty much everywhere within a year, but I wont take any offers that I dont think are secure (this job is pretty secure from the looks of it) or does not give a significant increase in salary normalized using cost-of-living. I don't want my job history to make it seem like I jump ship every chance I get.

I wouldn't feel as bad if a friend of mine, who is also a CS major and also received the same exact offer from the same company, did not reject the offer and get a different offer a few weeks later for $85k/yr. We had almost identical resumes (I had a higher GPA/he had experience working in IT back in highschool, same campus jobs, very similar class load, both interned at the same company last summer, etc) but he didn't have any student loans to worry about.

makes sense, keep looking. and you're right, you don't want to look like a jumper. i wouldn't leave a job before 2 years unless it is really bad, which you can explain to future employees if thats the case

i did technically change jobs/groups, but same department. applied, interviewed, accepted an offer after 5 years of those 5.5 years which led to an early promotion and good salary jump.

i went from assembly/c++ mainframe, to a java/sql client/server app. so now i'm doing tool development supporting the group i came from. figured it was time to expand the resume. plus now i have experience on both sides of our department, which will translate to easier promotions in the future hopefully

anyway, it sounds like you know what youre doing so good luck

Last edited:
1629505_700b.jpg

they retire them all replicant-styleIn which countries?

the US mainly

facebook opened a seattle office, added engineers to the NYC office

google i cant find exact numbers for, they wanted 6500 this year but 1k of those in europe. they hired 4600 in 2010, mostly in US

then there are lots of other companies in silicon valley/SF doing well...

Well then that must account for some of the 240,000 new jobs that the Obama administration claimed for this last quarter!

Just imagine the number of nurses (still a national shortage, btw) that will be required to manage this new crop of burnouts!

Back