What is a flame?

Shoddy

Veteran X
This was being talked about on NPR today:

Center for Communicating Science | Flame Challenge
As a curious 11-year-old, Alan Alda asked his teacher, “What is a flame?” She replied: “It’s oxidation.” Alda went on to win fame as an actor and writer, became an advocate for clear communication of science, and helped found the Center for Communicating Science at Stony Brook University. He never stopped being curious, and he never forgot how disappointing that non-answer answer was.

So when he was invited to contribute a guest editorial to the journal Science, he wrote about why we need scientists to communicate clearly and vividly with the public. And he issued the Flame Challenge:

I’d like to try a playful experiment. Would you be willing to have a go at writing your own explanation of what a flame is—one that an 11-year-old would find intelligible, maybe even fun? The Center for Communicating Science is looking for new ways to light up people’s minds with science, and you might point the way. We’ll try out the entries on real 11-year-olds and see which work best. . . .

So here I am—I’m 11 years old and looking up at you with the wide eyes of curiosity. What is a flame? What’s going on in there? What will you tell me?

libwrings.jpg

He don't get home till after 8pm.

Werking anna school.

Working on getting his fat head kicked in by most of SA is all he is working on. He owes over 1k in back child support so the AG will be taking any work money from him. He'd be homeless if it wasnt for his girl.

i left for like two minutes when he first asks why a flame is hot

when i came back he was juss barely explaining it. i think they could have done better

Last edited:
Working on getting his fat head kicked in by most of SA is all he is working on. He owes over 1k in back child support so the AG will be taking any work money from him. He'd be homeless if it wasnt for his girl.

STFU !

Go pack.

See, ........... dat him back there?

I guess he werking .... even iffa it's inda hood?

How 'bout you?

Go Pack.

Only 1k ....... :rofl: ain't shit!

I still get letters from Child Support wit yo name here.

:flame: Tell 'em ya dinna lives here. Chickenhead!

teacher blew my mind when he explained/demonstrated that flames produce water

I was like what is this I dont even

STFU !

Go pack.

See, ........... dat him back there?

I guess he werking .... even iffa it's inda hood?

How 'bout you?

Go Pack.

Only 1k ....... :rofl: ain't shit!

I still get letters from Child Support wit yo name here.

:flame: Tell 'em ya dinna lives here. Chickenhead!

That diss was made to him you fucking crackhead. :picard: I dont have to work Im retired. Im throwing my neighbor $30 to pack so I dont have to.

You mean to tell me the OAG doesnt know horse shit from peanut butter? Say it aint so. Meaning I already told them more than once all 3 of my addresses. Linda knows all of my addy's and phone numbers so trust me the AG knows Im not hard to find.

I do give you permission to open one and tell me what they say I owe. Im betting it was the $300 I fell behind in 2010 when I was locked up. I paid it long ago so Im current. But yeah. Lets see how retarded they are. How much in arrears?

Ewwwwwww, The stench has become over powering.

Go Pack!

It stinks in here now ..... :bye:

Take a shower then you nasty pos. I smell like AXE Dark Temptation so it aint me you'er smelling.

EDIT: You talk shit Dweasel so HOW MUCH DO THEY THINK I OWE? Otherwise never say anything out of your pedophilic face pertaining to me being a deadbeat like you and Lee.

Last edited:
teacher blew my mind when he explained/demonstrated that flames produce water

I was like what is this I dont even
That's a good one. You can also get a candle flame to burn under water, which is another demonstration kids like.

is that the one with the empty see-through container face-down like a diving bell over a tea-light (candle) where the flame burns the oxygen away and it sinks lower and lower? :)

(also god damnit, every fucking thread turns into jerry springer with those 2 methicans)

I have the father-son crackhead duo on ignore, so it doesn't bother me. Nah, with the candle all you have to do is place it in a glass container with an open top, light it, then fill the glass with water to within a mm of the top of the candle. Go on with the rest of your lecture and just let it sit there. . by the end of the period, the base of the still burning flame will be under water.

Back