What is a cord of firewood?

ill tell you what... a cord of wood is fucking expensive around here....

One Cord $570 $500 $ 400

but if you craigslist you can get good deals on avacado cause a lot of places grow that around here. it was a steal and i lost the guys number but i found someone who would fill up the back of your truck for 80 bucks. he would stack it nicely and everythinng. my f150 with the 6 and half bed fits just about half a cord. i am almost out of that now... it lasted me last dez season... beach camping and will prolly get me 1 or 2 more trips worth of firewood.

A Cord?

Cord-1.jpg

Didn't watch the video but I thought it was 4x8x4 feet of wood. I cut down a maple tree last summer, and looked into this shit. I still have huge rounds from the trunk that I need to break up, but just never bothered to get the tools to do it. Used a swede saw and a hatchet for all the branches.

/wood

when i lived in jackson, wy my roommates and i harvested ~3 cords of wood. Took us about a half day and only cost us the price of a splitting maul, axe, and a rental chainsaw. Manly stuff!

since the trees were not prechopped odds are the pieces you obtained towards the interior of the dead trees still had a fair amount of moisture in it due to the primary vector for loss of water coming through splits in the trees, not via bark.

actually if they were standing dead, water probably got pulled down so yeah u right

actually you're not manly because you had to buy a maul, and axe and RENT a chainsaw.
a man would have all that.

my land is considered a farm because its used to harvest wood.
at least 4 cords every year for taxes.

i have an oil boiler which is really expensive to run. so i also use a wood burning stove in the fall and winter to keep expenses reasonable.

and to answer your question a cord is a volume. something around 8 by 4 and like 4 feet high. anything that fits in that space orderly.

depends on the tree spn.
some trees have barely any water in them. some are soaking. so it depends how long they were lying around, what type and where.

Last edited:
when i lived in jackson, wy my roommates and i harvested ~3 cords of wood. Took us about a half day and only cost us the price of a splitting maul, axe, and a rental chainsaw. Manly stuff!

In ~81 I worked on a timber crew for almost a year. Chainsaw just becomes an extension of your arm. Worked up to operating a "knuckle boom" we used to stack up the cut logs into a big pile and load trucks with.

One just about like this:
knuckleboom-log-loader-21104-3249973.jpg

You don't work when it's raining though, too slick and dangerous, so I left to find steadier work. Oh, my first day of work it was -5f.

All your veneer woods are cut down in the winter when sap isn't running and bark is less likely to be stripped off giving the trees protection from the wood itself being damaged.

Last edited:
Back