What card was used to show T:V and optimized by?

Well I just ordered a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO with 256mb DDR ram. Should hold me for another year or so until I am ready to dump some cash on a PCI express system.

I have my ATI Radeon 9700 PRO for sale $120 shipped if anyone is intrested.

theta - have the 9600 xt, im not sure if you were able to paly beta or anything since i haven't been on in a bit, but if youknow, how well should a 9600xt run t:v with agood comp?

I got 2 computers,1 new and 1 steph child that hasn't seen an upgrade in a while,
2003 xp from gateway with a radeon 9000 64mb of vid ram will it run ok on low(all) settings??? because if it will I plan on ordering 2 copys of T:V.(no I didn't by the new one from gateway but newegg.com )

we are equally optimised for ATI and nVidia. However there is one caveat... the game doesnt run too well in high detail mode on the GF FX 5XXX series. If you remember the half life 2 performance kerfuffle a while back, we have the same issues as them, ie FX 5XXX cards dont perform too well with 2.0 pixel shaders. Unlike the HL2 guys, we don't have the resources available to go and code in a whole new render path specifically for that card.

Having said that, FX 5XXX cards still perform just fine, but only if you switch off 2.0 pixel shaders.

I think a 9800 Pro would be a good choice. Cheap price with good performance, and should keep any system going until PCI-Express has matured.

Hmmm, I'll be buying a new vid card soon too. I'ma upgrade from my FX 5600.

Is the 9800 (pro/xt??) really the way to go? How important will having 256mb of video ram be? Wasn't there something way back about if you wanted to set the graphics on maximum you'd need 256 or does 256 help no matter what the graphic settings are on? I'm going to want a minimum of 45 frames per second, but I'd like the game to look as good as possible.

Mr Fish said:
oh and btw 9600 is what i use at work... runs just fine :)

So does it work with max detail?

How much memory does it have? 128 or 256?

Is it a 9600 Pro or a 9600 XT?

More specifics please.

for a developer "runs just fine" means that you can play it in max 800x600 with all details off and get around 30fps (if you are lucky)..
I still remember when daveg said that t2 would run 'just fine' on his p2 400 with a voodoo2 :p

i play in 800x600 on an athlon 1800+ with 'high' detail and bump mapping enabled. im not much of a res junkie...i could prolly pump it up a notch or 2, but i prefer more fps at 800x600. on mid range cpus and boards like the 9600, our main render hit is the bump mapping, which you can disable without affecting other detail settings if you want.

oh, my 9600 is an ati sample board, so it doesnt really correspond to any of the retail brands... its probably closest to the original stock standard 9600.

our 'ultra-high' detail mode requires probably a 9800 or equiv, plus a pretty good CPU (say 2.4ghz+).

In terms of memory, the main thing that 256Meg boards get you is the ability to switch on higher res textures. However this makes no difference to framerate... a 128meg board with standard textures runs the same as a 256meg board with the high res ones.

Mr Fish said:
In terms of memory, the main thing that 256Meg boards get you is the ability to switch on higher res textures. However this makes no difference to framerate... a 128meg board with standard textures runs the same as a 256meg board with the high res ones.

Sweet, thanks Mr Fish! :cheers:

I know a 9800 with max textures would never give me the frame rate I want. So I'm just gonna buy one with 128mb. That's like a $40 differance.

[Edit] Err or wait. So 128MB vs 256MB is just the differance of what textures I'd be able to run. I see, no effect with the framerate (Unless of course I tried to enable high res with 128mb :( ). Thanks!

Last edited:
im going to wait until both amd and ati release the next generation products to buy their shit.

or at least wait until it isnt rediculously priced.

I figure a 9800 Pro 256 is the minimum for me, and the cheapest I've seen is a $235 Sapphire at Newegg.

Hopefully it will come down before T:V

Mr. Fish's comments do make me wonder if a $160 9600 XT 256 would work tho. I just worry about the 9600's inferior fill rate.

Mr Fish said:
i play in 800x600 on an athlon 1800+ with 'high' detail and bump mapping enabled. im not much of a res junkie...i could prolly pump it up a notch or 2, but i prefer more fps at 800x600. on mid range cpus and boards like the 9600, our main render hit is the bump mapping, which you can disable without affecting other detail settings if you want.

I usually play in low resolutions as well, but i had to crank it up to 1024x768 in T2 because the god-awful hud setup would clutter up my screen immensely. Will I have the same problem in T:V?

{A} PR24 said:
You know how you see like with UT there is a nVidia logo at the beginning?

The thing is, Nvidia's TWIMTBP is in many ways just a marketing ploy. Every game on their list looks perfectly fine on a Radeon .

Back