Wedding speech help please

So I have to give a speech at my youngest daughters wedding in a couple of weeks. Now some folks here know my youngest Son and Daughter are adopted. Long messy story but my Wife and I adopted my sister-in-laws kids when she and her husband went to prison.

Anyway I have 2 stories I'd like to work into the speech. 1 involves me chasing the monsters from her house when she was 4 and the other is about the time her and her brother asked us if they could call us Mom and Dad about a year before we officially adopted them.

The problem I'm having is I can't get through a quarter of my speech without blubbering like a baby. I have given speeches at my eldest Son and Daughters weddings and while I was a bit chocked up I got through it without snot running freely out my nose. I'm not afraid of showing the emotion, I just would like to get through this without becoming a Youtube meme.

I'm not much of a speech giver and I know the basics but still look at my feet a lot.

hi ive done 5 wedding speeches, 2 funerals and multiple work events

ok a common pitfall is going toooooo personal. i dont even know you or the story but the first time they called you mom/dad? shit would make a statue cry.

can you turn he story into a punchline? flip the mood to humour.
practice it more and more and it will desensitize you

my honest advice is that...your stories should be about her. not you. a time she took on a crazy project. winning a dance competition. denting your car. first job. horrible meals. fixing her house.

the stories youre offering are about being her dad. your stories should be about her being your daughter.

There's maybe, I mean I don't know for sure but just maybe, better places to find advice about this than TW. That goes for more or less anything.

But if this is where you choose to be, Pagy was pretty spot on. I would add keep it humorous, not too serious. Weddings are supposed to be fun. I've done 2 best man spots and nailed them both by doing this.

And a large double brandy straight down the hatch right before you go on.

3-5 glasses of courage brings out your honesty.

Tell the story about when she ran down the street buk nekkid when she was 3.

Well Mitch I like to believe that almost everyone has something to offer and there are more intelligent people here than you may think.

Great tip there Pagy. Thank you.

*edit* 3 - 5 glasses of courage and I'll be the old guy sleeping in the coat check...

constantly alternating between light hearted humorous anecdotes and a little heart felt seriousness

the hardest part to pull off

but the part that makes for the best and most remembered speeches imo

i know you will do a phenomenal job. and anything else you want to say that is more personal, too emotional, you can say to them directly if it makes that any easier and less messy.

nobody cares about accidental blubbering in front of their kids as they do an audience

Only two toast jokes I know:

"I asked advice from X, who told me they didn't care what I said so long as I mentioned them."

"To me, for giving a really good toast!"

all i know is that i feel sorry for any sad sack that calls this motherfucker out for tearing up a bit at his daughter's wedding. he is fucked.

Well Mitch I like to believe that almost everyone has something to offer and there are more intelligent people here than you may think.

Great tip there Pagy. Thank you.

*edit* 3 - 5 glasses of courage and I'll be the old guy sleeping in the coat check...

Yeah just the double brandy shot to give you a warm feeling right before you start. Nothing else to drink. If you're gonna be emotional anyway, add in slightly drunk and you'll just be a puddle.

Back