War Thunder: World of Planes Closed Beta

ArchangelX

Veteran XV
I've been waiting for this since the initial announcement and sign-up. Closed Beta just went live today.

War Thunder: World of Planes is an MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets. You will take part in all of the major combat battles, fighting with real players all over the world.

Become a lone hero or lead your team to victory — the choice is yours!

War Thunder: World of Planes offers a highly detailed and personalized aviation experience, giving players access to hundreds models of planes with detailed cockpits, dozens of upgradeable weapons, and flying skills that can be honed and improved with each mission. Thanks to the game’s painstaking attention to detail, you’ll truly feel like a World War II fighter pilot as you plunge into battle.

The genuine World War II experience isn’t limited to the skies. The massive historical battles featured in War Thunder: World of Planes cannot be fought by aviation alone, so the game will also expose players to combat on land and at sea.

Features include:

• Varied PvP-experiences set in full-scale combat missions
• Multiple settings options allow advanced virtual pilots and beginners to enjoy playing the game together
• Rich PvE content: dynamic campaigns, solo missions, mission editor, and much more for single-player and cooperative gameplay
• Impressive diversity includes detailed models of planes and their cockpits, as well as tanks and ships
• Astonishing graphics, authentic sound effects, and beautiful music

Anyone else get a beta key? I'm installing now.

I have no idea how it is yet, but I'm rummaging through my garage trying to find my flight stick, lol...

If it's in any way comparable to WoT, then it's going to rock. Looks really decent.

Last edited:
Would have been cool if it were like WWIIonline where you could have mixed infantry and vehicle combat.

kind of interested in how this turns out.

Meh.

Most of my old ww2ol friends are all gahgah about this game. I would like to dust off me CH HOTAS but not really all that excited really. It might have some promise but IDK about the flight model in this shit. pretty sure it is just a dressed up il2 46 engine which left a lot to be desired.

Would have been cool if it were like WWIIonline where you could have mixed infantry and vehicle combat.

kind of interested in how this turns out.

really hoping this game has at least a semi realistic mode for planes. likely it will be dumbed down console kiddy crap but i hope there is a user selectable realism mode.

I know they're not related, but it does take the same premise in a lot of ways. From what I could see from the video, there's combined arms, but I'm not sure if it's playable or not. I just want the same sort of success that WoT received.

Damn, 12GBs to go...whoo.

Last edited:
By the way, don't get this confused with the developers of WoT...they're making World of Warplanes, which by all accounts I have read, is going to be crap compared to this and nothing like how a real plane flies. They don't even have cockpits yet and no ground battles.

i havent had a stick since the era of freespace 2 and XvT and mechwarrior2

jesus christ i need a time machine or something, why dont they make those anymore, why.

Signed up. Thanks for the heads-up. Somehow missed these guys going into beta.

Is it that bad? Hope not...still downloading it right now...are you sure you're not talking about World of Warplanes. I read the flight modeling from the alpha is absolute shit.

But further reading shows that it's going to be more than just planes...it's a total war simulator. That's pretty badazz if they get it right, even if it has shitty arcade controls. Love full war simulations...

http://www.mmohunter.com/war-thunder-world-of-planes.html

It offers hundreds of plane models (103 types even in the initial closed beta with more to enroll in the list) based on factual prototypes from year 1927 to 1944. All in-game plane models were used in real battlegrounds of WWII and Korean War, such as the world’s first operational jet bomber Arado 234 built in Germany in 1944 or the first American all-metal heavy bomber B-17G. Players can freely choose from planes in countries of US, UK, Japan, Germany and USSR to start out with, and access to other countries’ such as those from Australia and Italy via tech research later. And these planes are crafted with detailed cockpits and equipped with varied, upgradable weapons.

Aerial combat is definitely on the focal, but ground and marine battles will also be there to complete the historical warfare. PvE offers campaigns and missions for players to complete singly or cooperatively; while PvP pits players against each other to test their mettle in varied battlegrounds. Playable locations depicts a wide range of fields, covering the coast of Norway, islands of Guam and Saipan, and industrial city of Stalingrad to name a few. Scenes are many and tiered to cater to different needs of veterans and beginners.

Besides, weather conditions will be shown and affect combat in certain way. And in-game cameras will be there for moviemaker pilots to make their fan videos.

Given the similarity in titles, War Thunder: World of Planes is unavoidably set to compare with Wargaming.net’s World of Warplanes. How will these two games set apart from each other? The newly added ‘War Thunder’ in title explains a little: War Thunder will feature full-scale war covering ground, air and sea together rather than singly focusing on aerial battles. And other distinct features, if there is any, remain to see.

Last edited:
i havent had a stick since the era of freespace 2 and XvT and mechwarrior2

jesus christ i need a time machine or something, why dont they make those anymore, why.

I was just thinking about that the other day.. Xwing, Tie, XvT, Alliance, Freespace, starlancer.. man.. :(

Back